FreeRange TV discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-02-09, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

FreeRange TV discussion

Free Range TV in US?

I didn't find anything in the forums or in the Shaw Direct or Shaw cable FAQ.

I'm wondering if I can use the Free Range TV app outside of Canada. I travel to the US often, and sometimes to other continents for work. My 630 is great for catching up, but it would be great to be able to catch live sports while travelling.

Would I be violating terms of service, or will it just block me from viewing?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-02-27 at 02:18 PM. Reason: merged threads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-02-09, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

answering my own question ...

From the app store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....freerangetv):

"Streaming is available anywhere in Canada while connected to a WiFi or cellular network (data charges may apply)"

When I hit the Google Play store from my laptop it says "This app is incompatible with all of your devices.". I'm guessing this is because I'm currently out of the country.

When I try from my tablet, the search doesn't even find the app.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-02-09, 11:12 AM

Try downloading the app to your devices in Canada. I am not sure whether or not the app will work in the US. I have only tried it in Canada. As for the app itself, it doesn't actually work all that well (on my tablet). It freezes a lot. It might work better on other devices.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-02-09, 11:39 AM

Here's the sticky thread in the Shaw Cable forum: Shaw Freerange For Apple & Android

Shaw FAQ: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-6216
Quote:
Can I watch Shaw FreeRange TV outside of Canada?
•You can watch downloaded content from anywhere, even outside of Canada; however, the content must be downloaded within Canada and expires within 30 days.
•The ability to stream live TV and on-demand content on Shaw FreeRange TV is not available to customers who use the app outside of Canada due to content rights restrictions.
I think that only kids' shows are downloadable. IP addresses outside Canada are blocked from streaming.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-02-27, 01:35 PM

Free Range on PC or smart TV?

I know, I know, I'm a luddite. I don't have a smartphone. I have an iPod but its iOS is two releases behind and won't update.

I'm guessing I can't watch Free Range on my PC because I use applications not little apps (partially joking about apps).

Anybody tried an android emulator on their PC with the Free Range app?
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-02-27, 03:03 PM

@JasperJoe A Shaw employee posted the following in their community forum:
Quote:
comcast does have a Web enabled experience that will be used in the future to allow devices that don't have a native app to experience Freerange (Ie laptops, computers etc).
Quote:
All content within the app today is available/discoverable within the set top box.
He was probably referring to the cable box, but would probably apply to Shaw Direct, assuming you can connect your box to the internet.

If you specifically want PC access, you can probably use the web interface for the individual TV channels to view on demand and live content using your Shaw Direct login.

I doubt that FreeRange TV would work in an emulator, since the app checks it's operating environment to prevent connection to TVs and may not even work on jailbroken and rooted phones.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-02-27, 07:14 PM

I thought I would try the emulator route but Bluestacks 2 / Google Play app store will not let me download the app here in the southern provinces. I wasn't even trying to watch.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-02-27, 08:50 PM

FreeRange TV is only in the Canadian store. Even if you could install it, you wouldn't be able to watch outside Canada - see the beginning of this thread, including post 4.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-02-28, 09:53 AM

It was in whatever Google App store I was in, it just wouldn't let me download it. Of course, I know nothing about it - that was the first time I was in the store.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-02-29, 07:30 PM

This is my exchange with SD on FaceBook:

Can I run Free Range on my PC? I don't have a smart phone.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. This is a response to the message you sent to us about Free Range.

The application can only be used on a smart mobile device such as a phone or a tablet. Let us know if you have more questions. smile emoticon

Have a great day.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 09:08 AM

I would assume you could AirPlay to an AppleTV. I wonder if you could somehow use a Chromecast
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 09:57 AM

FreeRange TV is based on mobile rights and is restricted to mobile devices. Shaw's FAQ says:
Quote:
Shaw FreeRange TV does not support Chromecast, 3rd-party Android media streaming devices, AirPlay, gaming consoles or the Android equivalent of Air Play at this time.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 11:00 AM

installed on my android tablet. was able to start a few shows as a test. Now it craps out.
"Unfortunately FreeRangeTV has stopped. "

Reboot, reinstall. Clear Data under Settings->applications. Same result.
After reinstall, I do go through the account setting signup, but then it cancels when adding device
Useless for now.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 06:27 PM

Guess I'll cancel MyGica box order
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-03-04, 07:12 AM

I've attempted using my iPad direct HDMI connection to my TV and it stops after a minute with a message about it being an unauthorized broadcast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.