FreeRange TV discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-03-04, 11:47 AM

I can't get my FreeRange TV app to work for longer than a minute or so. I have tried in various places (wifi). I'm using an Android tablet that is a few years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-03-08, 01:56 PM
Rookie

Guess I've been lucky.....its worked right from when I first installed it on my android phone & tablet.....

I really like it, just wish all my channels were available as I seem to be missing quite a few.....
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-05-07, 03:53 PM

Question Free range tv

Hello, is anyone else having issues with the Free Range TV App from Shaw Direct the past 2 days? It keeps telling me that "they are having technical difficulties" and it's not available at the moment? Anyone else?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-05-07 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-05-10, 09:58 AM

I'm using it fine in Mexico with TunnelBear as a "VPN". On two devices.

... Mike
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-06-08, 10:34 PM

It's working on my PC right now.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-06-09, 08:43 AM

yep - https://freerange.shaw.ca

so I guess this means you can watch it on a regular TV now, not just tablet/phone. Haven't tested that yet however.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-06-09, 04:28 PM

Excellent! Yes, with an HDMI (or however you connect to your audio-video receiver) and a laptop, one can watch on a regular TV.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-08-25, 06:22 PM

Shaw Direct FreeRange TV on laptop

When I use my laptop (HP with Windows 10) to watch live TV on CBC, CTV, Global, or Sportsnet from their websites, I have no problems; however when I log into FreeRange TV using my Shaw Direct ID information, the live TV feed only last for about 10 minutes, and then it either freezes up or my laptop shuts down and then restarts.

Are any other Shaw Direct folks experiencing this phenomena? Is there a way to solve it?
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-08-26, 10:47 AM

I have not experienced it, and I use FreeRange off and on for extended periods. I'm guessing it has more to do with your WiFi speed, or the modem getting plugged up (a factory reboot can clear that out), memory being used by other apps on your device perhaps, but I don't think it's a general problem with the service. And I'm in Mexico.
NovaMan likes this.

... Mike
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-08-26, 12:26 PM

Thanks Mike for the quick reply. Problem seems to be solved. I have been using Firefox, and that seems to be the problem. I switched my Shaw Direct FreeRange to Edge and it is working properly. It might be a compatibility problem between FreeRange and Firefox?? Has anyone else experienced this? Like I said in a previous post I have little to no problems with the network sites. I use FreeRange in our motorhome while traveling, so WIFI speed is also a problem at times, but not in this case. Thanks again for letting me know the problem was on my end.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-08-26, 12:35 PM

You could also try chrome and if you have addons or extensions installed with Firefox one of them could be the culprit.

LOSat
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-08-26, 03:27 PM

It's quite possible, considering what you're experiencing, NovaMan. I see many instances wherein FireFox just stutters, even when it's not downloading anything other than web page elements. Almost like it freezes. I would turn off plugins, as LONSat suggests. Another thing to try is uninstalling FFox, deleting it's folder from C://Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox, too. Because just uninstalling leaves all your settings. To SAVE your settings first, to for example keep just your Bookmarks, use MozBackup (MozBackup - Backup tool for Firefox and Thunderbird), a free tool, that also backs up and restores Thunderbird files.

... Mike
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-08-26, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

This from Shaw help:

"We are glad to hear that the issue has been resolved! The FreeRange application does have some compatibility issues with certain programs. For example, it is only compatible with Android software that is 4.1 and higher and iPad with iOS 8.0 or higher and it does not work on Blackberry at all."
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 2017-03-05, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDRiley View Post
I have not experienced it, and I use FreeRange off and on for extended periods. I'm guessing it has more to do with your WiFi speed, or the modem getting plugged up (a factory reboot can clear that out), memory being used by other apps on your device perhaps, but I don't think it's a general problem with the service. And I'm in Mexico.
Have you ever tried to link a mobile device running Free Range while out of Canada to either an Apple Airplay device or a Chromcast unit, i.e. is there a way to have Free Range appear on a big screen TV?
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 08:59 AM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
I am planning on using an HDMI cable when in Europe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.