Skipping Image - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Skipping Image

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here to both the forum, and shaw direct.

I am stumped, Shaw is stumped, everyone is! I am on my 3rd receiver (2 x Motorola and now Arris 630) in 9 months. All is fine, but then the image on my screen starts stuttering, skipping almost. A little at first, then worse over time to the point where it is not watchable. Usually starts out on the cartoon channels (I am thinking due to color contrast).

Few points:
It is not the signal from the satellite - PVR recorded shows do the same (even though they were recorded good before).

Plugged into another TV, same thing. Remove my AVR Receiver, same thing. Change cables, same, etc. Changing absolutely everything except the receiver and the problem exists. I normally have a long run of HDMI (50ft - max without a balin apparently) from my AVR to TV. Receiver to AVR is only 3ft cable. For troubleshooting, that has all been eliminated of course and same problem.

Plugged receiver directly to unoccupied circuit, free of power bars and surge protectors. (Usually its plugged into to a protected circuit).

First time, Shaw sent me a refurbished receiver, I plugged it in, and done. Problem immediately went away. Was good for a month or 2, then same thing again. I then of course kicked up a fuss about the refurbished receiver, so they sent a technician out (which took a while of course) and he couldn't figure out the problem. Convinced them to send me a NEW Arris receiver, and fixed the problem again, so I thought. Was good for about 2-3 months and now it is starting again.

I am not sure what is going on. Is it possible my setup is burning out the HDMI port or something? My TV and AVR are less that 5 years old, so I suspect the handshaking or copy rights of the HDMI (which I obviously don't understand) are probably OK?

Important to note that any and all other connections to and from the AVR to my TV are working perfect still, with great image quality.

I am at a loss on what is causing this. I am really against running component as I want to keep HD of course, and surround sound capability. I really don't think 3 receivers from Shaw could be bad?

Any body see or hear tell of this? I really appreciate any input!

Thanks

Trenton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 11:55 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Although unlikely, you could have three bad PVRs. Looks like you've already tried most things. Here's a list of HDMI issues and a link to things to check at the bottom which provides a detailed checklist.

FAQ - HDMI Comments/Issues

Turn off HDMI-CEC in the AVR and TV per item 4 of the FAQ. Try a connection direct to the TV from the 630 with a short HDMI cable, like 6' (you may have already tried this but I wasn't sure if by "receiver" you meant the 630 or the AVR). It's possible that bad signals from the satellite dish are creating problems on the 630, even for recordings. Check/confirm those connections (and grounding).

BTW, component video is perfectly capable of HD signals and you could use optical to the AVR for digital surround sound (DD5.1).

Useful Post: HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

If you get it working with a short HDMI cable, then you could consider a RedMere HDMI cable from someone like Monoprice for the long length...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 01:03 PM
Veteran

The 50ft HDMI cable raises a red flag. It creates the possibility of a ground loop or spurious electrical interference entering the HDMI circuit that could damage the receiver. The fact that it works fine for 2-3 months and then the issue occurs suggests that some intermittent event or gradual degradation causes the problem to reappear. I would look into using a HDMI balun or some device that will provide a degree of electrical isolation. I would also make sure that the coax cables running from the dish are grounded properly.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick response! Certainly going to dig into that faq page. Just a quick update, I did mean to refer to the HDPVR, so yes, I have hooked directly, using a 3' cable.

Could you explain what you mean using optical for AVR surround? I have never used optical before...?

Will update when I get through the FAQ page.

Thanks again!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 01:13 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Optical or TOSLink is a cable for carrying digital audio. I was assuming that your 630 has an Optical output and that the AVR has an optical input. FAQ below:

FAQ - Cables & Connections

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-01-06, 12:56 PM

My Onkyo AVR is supposed to be able to handle / switch all HDMI inputs and outputs. However, when I connected my 630 to the AVR then to the TV, the sound would 'pop' from time to time.

I hooked the HDMI from the 630 PVR directly to the TV then used the optical audio output to feed the Onkyo. Problem solved: 7.1 sound works perfectly (I know most sources are not 7.1 but the AVR upconverts).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-01-12, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I have exhausted all options applicable that I can see suggested by the FAQ, thanks for the link by the way.

I have swapped to component cables as well, and same thing, which really blows my mind.

Here is an attempt at a video of the problem. At the moment, it is only really treehouse channel (cartoons), that is affected (though all channels were eventually).

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks again everyone, this is beyond a mystery to me!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-01-12, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B12...p=docslist_api

Google drive link seeing as how it doesn't look like the video attached...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-01-15, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Anyone? Does the video link work?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-01-15, 11:09 AM

The video works. Since you seem to have tried everything else, you may have an issue with the PVR again. Any way you can swap in a different PVR to test? - borrowed from a friend? Makes sure that the PVR is well ventillated and doesn't overheat.

It's possible you have an electrical issue in your home causing harm to the PVRs - improper grounding, voltage spikes/surges. Plug any new PVR into a UPS.

Power Bar (UPS, Surge, Etc) Info and Discussion

57 FAQ - Tips For SA (Cisco) STBs. (also Pace) (Tips applicable to all PVRs)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.