Connect Shaw Direct PVR with one coax cable? (Yes, but only as a single tuner) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-08, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Connect Shaw Direct PVR with one coax cable? (Yes, but only as a single tuner)

Reading thru all discussions on the subject, is it finally possible to split one Shaw cable that comes fron a switch box into 2 signals so it can feed the 2 inputs of a Shaw PVR?

Can someone confirm that the use of a splitter that let the DC passes thru would actually fix the issue of having only half of the channels available on PVR?

It is very important for me to get a definite answer on this since I cannot get an additional cable from the SW.

Thank you

Pierre

Last edited by 57; 2016-03-05 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Single Tuner Comment Added To Title.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-08, 01:42 PM
Veteran

Are you talking about Shaw Cable, or Shaw Direct? (satellite).

Shaw Cable PVRs only use one coax cable that plugs into the back.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-08, 09:07 PM

I just moved into a new 'finished' home previously outfitted for Rogers Digital and I'm in the same boat as you. My installer said running a 2nd line to the HDPVR 630 was not going to be possible due to location and finished walls and ceiling everywhere but did say that SHAW are BETA testing a new splitter. As I understand it, you MUX 2 lines from the big 4x8 switch into one and then at the back of your HDPVR 630, you basically DEMUX (split) them into 2 again using a new splitter. These two new short lines connector to your HDPVR 630 but I'll know more in a day or so when they complete the installation in my home.

They said they had to do something as they were losing business to BELL and ROGERS because their receivers had multiple tuners yet only needed 1 coax line to operate properly. Running multiple lines from the splitter to each PVR was just plain stupid and many customers complained.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-08, 11:24 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I've moved this thread to the Shaw Direct (Satellite) forum (and changed the title obviously). It was originally posted in the Shaw Cable forum, which uses totally different technology. I suggest people familiarize themselves with the differences and also review the various installation threads in this forum because the two are totally different.

It's also a good idea to say what equipment you're using, your location and your provider. See the following:

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 11:12 AM

My Shaw Direct PVR dual-tuner receiver uses TWO coaxes. The Bell one it replaced used ONE.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 11:16 AM
Rookie

Please keep us posted on this, I would like to get the DVR but only have 1 coax run to it's location .. seems kind of stupid you can't disable the second tuner.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 05:01 PM
Veteran

Until several years ago, Bell dual tuner PVRs required two cables as well. Dishnet (aka EchoStar,) the company that supplies Bell with receivers, developed the new technology that reduced the number of cables required some time ago. Bell waited several years before adopting the new technology so having just one cable for a dual tuner Bell PVR is fairly recent for them.

As far as I know, the current supplier of Shaw Direct receivers (Motorola) has no corresponding technology. Because Motorola uses a proprietary encryption technology and the market is very small, it would be very expensive for Shaw to develop new receiver technology or switch suppliers. Due to this, Shaw Direct is almost at a dead end when it comes to developing and introducing new receivers that incorporate significant new technology.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 11:52 PM
Rookie

Apparently the current generation pvr supports it, and Shaw makes the switch.. just hard to get it.. could be still in testing or only for commercial or something

6 Channel CSS Multiswitch
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-10, 02:01 PM

If they supply the switch, you'd figure they'd make it easy for people to get. After-all, if you can install the PVR with only one line, that would help them keep up with Bell who can do this.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 09:15 AM

I have a neighbor that has a similar problem. There is a market for this technology!

Maybe Shaw Direct is beta testing and/or a difficulty in manufacturing in quantity at a decent price.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 09:28 AM
Veteran

Shaw just may not want to support the new technology due to cost or availability. (Knowing how Shaw operates, it's probably all about cost.) Bell did the same for several years. Individuals could by the corresponding Dishnet technology as surplus on eBay but Bell still had a large supplu of the old parts so that's what they installed. Shaw may be in the same position. They probably won't supply the new stuff until they are forced to. In the meantime, it might be possible for individuals to source the new equipment on eBay or from a company that supplies it. Some Shaw installers might even have it available if asked. Just don't expect Shaw to pay for installation or service.

PS: The actual technology for stacking the signals on one cable is built into the LNB for Dishnet equipment. The switch simply supports it and is not required for only one receiver. Don't know how the Motorola stuff works but it makes more sense to put it into a switch. Otherwise, a redesigned LNB that is very specific to Shaw Direct would be required.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-18, 02:53 PM

Starchoice Stacked

I think I recall that Starchoice had a stacked frequencies system like the one you describe, but abandoned it. Maybe because the stacked higher frequencies roll-off over long cable runs causing consumer complaints.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-07-19, 06:10 PM
Veteran

They abandoned stacked, or at least put the nail in its coffin, because it was not compatible with the conversion scheme they elected to go with for the XKu LNBFs to get G1.

The stacked system they were using never had much benefit for them or most users, and needed two coaxes for the DVR anyways.

How CSS works, I reckon might be similar to DirecTV SWiM, where the receiver transmits a back channel to the switch, and the switch sends down a block of RF containing a few transponders at a time on a "channel block" assigned to that tuner.
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-08-25, 05:31 PM

I have just started trying to set up my shaw direct 630 pvr into my RV and have the same problem of only having one pre installed coaxial cable. I had one shaw techie tell me I could use the 4x8 Multiswitch to split it and then another one tell me that wouldn't work. Can someone please confirm this either way? Thanks
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-08-25, 05:53 PM

will not work. the 630 needs two lines in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.