Shaw Direct Programming/Pricing Discussions - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB4XSBW View Post
How do you order the Time Shift though? It's not available anywhere, even under the bundles: Shaw Direct

And are we sure it includes the US networks?
See post 69, paragraph 2 for the quote and the link. I think they are still fine tuning the on-line configurator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercontrol View Post
..It would be nice if they actually gave a proper comparison of channels between packages, so customers can make informed decisions on what pack is best for them.
The is a comparison option in the on-line configurator that will allow you to compare 2 different packages. It could be better, but it might help.
post #78 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 01:39 PM

I think we are going to need a new thread to this. AS it is all NEW beginning now.
So I played around with the system and enjoyed the compare package option, but they will try to trick you. IE there is a HD Combo option that gives you 17 "HD" channels. But what it doesnt show, is that if you already have say the "western life" package and you are thinking you need HD Combo to get the sports like TSN SportsNet in HD, its not needed. Its already included in your package. Sure you may now get a golf channel or something like velocity as a bonus, but the slick marketing will fool many a user into thinking they need this package. Much like the extra theme packs that are available. At least when you look at pick a channel, it will show if you already have it or not.
I recommend trying the compare a package feature and then select list all channels to compare. Here you will notice the lack of US networks etc on digital life.

BTW I did the online chat to confirm that I didn't need the HD Combo to get sports in HD. That was painfully slow as obviously they are just getting the info too.

Last edited by Wazabi; 2016-02-18 at 01:54 PM.

post #79 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi View Post
I think we are going to need a new thread to this. AS it is all new beginning NOW...
That is exactly what this thread if for - to discuss the programming and pricing options.
post #80 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 01:54 PM

I get that, my observation more is the 6 pages previous discusses the old plan. People will pop on and discover the changes, will wade through old info to get to the current. Just my 2 cents, but I found the current stuff in a couple of minutes anyways, I'm sure others will too.
Thanks
frenchophile likes this.
post #81 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 02:05 PM

@Wazabi good point - I'll add a link to post 1. A lot of the old info is still relevant since the old packages will still be available (maybe not all.)
Wazabi and frenchophile like this.
post #82 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 02:15 PM
Rookie

I see none of the old packages on their website.
post #83 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 02:19 PM

Nope, all done. Be interesting how it plays out, will you keep your old plan grandfathered in, or make you make a change. Now that I use a Kodi box and have hulu plus netflix etc, its a good time for me lower my package anyways.
post #84 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 02:33 PM

I'm sure that those who have the older bundles will be grandfathered, but if you change from it, you won't be able to go back.
post #85 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 03:05 PM

I don't see Stingray music anywhere.
NovaMan likes this.
post #86 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 03:13 PM

I see Stingray only in the Ontario Life pack. I don't even see a pick and pay option for it with the other packs.
NovaMan likes this.
post #87 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 10:20 PM

Thumbs down

Well I just finished a chat with a SD rep. They confirmed there will be no US networks in the limited TV. They also said repeatedly the only theme packs or channels you can add to this are TSN and Sportsnet. No HD combo, no HD extra lite, nothing. So much for providing the consumer with more choice, what a joke.

My plan was to switch to limited TV (assuming it included the big 4+1 us channels) and add HD Extra Lite and TMN/HBO. Nope.
post #88 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-18, 10:45 PM

chat transcript RE: skinny basic

SD: Are you there?
me: hello
me: sorry about that
SD: no problem
SD: I am patient
Me: about the new limited TV
SD: you have questions about the new package
SD: yes
me: no US 3+1 networks?
SD: no, it's not included in the limited TV
me: why not?
me: Shaw Cable includes it as well as some other competitors
SD: We do have this package because we have to, and included only what CRTC asked for. But to be honest, this is not a package with a big value when it comes to price VS channels
me: Well Shaw Direct are certainly trying to make sure that is the case it seems
me: what about the HD combos?
SD: we want to provide our customers with packages that worth the price
me: they appear on the website but are not showing when I try to change packages
me: HD extra lite for instance
SD: you can't add the Regular programming to this limited TV package
SD: You can add only the TSN Sportsnet package at 8$ for 1 or 14$ for 2
me: but that is the whole point...to give the customer choice and not force them to buy channels we dont want
SD: Yes. The CRTC gave us the channels they want us to provide at minimum cost, and we do.
SD: We have till December to add all channels as pick an dpay
SD: pick and pay
me: How can Shaw justify selling an inferior package to it's Shaw direct customers than what is available to cable customers for the same cost?
me: the CRTC mentions that the US 3+1 channels can be included
me: Shaw cable is including them as well as other competitors
me: why not Shaw Direct?
SD: shaw direct and shaw cable are 2 different providers.
me: same company
SD: no, sister compagnies
SD: we are not the same compagny
me: you are not even matching what your cable arm is providing for the same cost
SD: we included what CRTC asked for
me: You are deliberately trying to undermine the spirit of the new crtc rules
me: I will be passing this exchange on to them
SD: no. What I am saying is that by taking that package, you will lose a lot of channels. the channel will cost you over a 1$ instead of few cents with other packages. for more channels
me: I don't want to be forced to pay for channels I don't watch
me: but I want competitive pricing for the ones I DO watch
me: so how does one get the US networks with these changes?
SD: We can try to look at a better package, less expensive, with the channels you like to watch. but you don't have to go to the limited TV package
SD: For now, they can't
me: what package does one have to purchase to get them?
SD: the regular packages we have
me: apparently not limited TV, so what is the package I would have to subscribe to ? what is the minimum package?
SD: the less expensive one we have is the Digital lite at 42$
me: there is no other way to get the basic US networks without subscribing to a 42 dollar package? there is no add on option for the Limited TV? to be purchased?
SD: the only add on option it's the TSN/sportsnet channels
me: it doesn't even show diigital lite on the website under packages I see Ontario lite, ultimate choice, digital advantage, limited tv
SD: when you log in to the self serve, you should have it under your programming. We don't include all the packages on our site.
SD: if you cant find it, I can send it to you through email
me: what is the major difference between diigtal light and limited tv. is it just the big 4 US networks?
SD: no, there is more channels. Limited TV has 23 channels
me: my promotional period is ending on my current package and I am not at all happy with what you are telling me here. Can I cancel my service via this chat?
SD: I am sorry to hear this. We can't cancel accounts via chat, but let me see what package you wish to have
me: what I would like is limited TV with the 4+1, HD extra lite, and HBO/TMN, but apparently I can't get that.......I can't remember what my current package is called
SD: you have the digital advantage package
me: another question, are the limited TV channels all in HD?
SD: not all of them. but we do include some in HD yes
me: so I can't cancel my service via this chat. I guess I need to call in. Thank you for providing me with this information.
SD: You are welcome
SD: I wish I can help you with the channels you want to have
SD: loyalty department could have better offers, but not with the Limited Tv . See with them about regular programming .....
***couple of minutes goes by****
SD: are you still there?
me: yes just looked. thought you were long gone
SD: no i am here if you have more questions for me
me: no I'm done. I am very disappointed. I will call in. thanks for your time.
Leafs13 and NovaMan like this.
post #89 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-19, 10:23 AM

It sounds like Shaw Direct is not obeying the CRTC ruling. Small packages must be allowed to be added to the Skinny Basic; isn't that everyone's interpretation?
http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2016/2016-59.htm

Last edited by NovaMan; 2016-02-19 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added link
post #90 of 261 (permalink) Old 2016-02-19, 10:45 AM
Rookie

They do have small bundles that can be added to the Limited TV package. But there's no way to add the US networks, even if you are willing to pay extra. The only way you can get US networks now is to subscribe to their $77/month Ontario Life package.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.