Shaw Direct Programming/Pricing Discussions - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-10-22, 03:38 PM

Shaw price increases are as predictable as the sun rising in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 04:02 PM

Another increase....

Just read this on my electric invoice from SD:

Starting January 1st, 2016, the price for your Shaw Direct services will increase by $3.01, plus taxes. If you are on an introductory offer, this change will not take effect until your promotional period ends. To find out more, please visit Shaw Direct.
After December 31, 2015, customers subscribed to Digital Advantage and Ultimate Choice packages will get HD Sports included for free. This change will be reflected on customer bills in January.

I am on the Digital Advantage - so it looks like a wash out....maybe not for others.

Rob.
post #48 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-11, 09:06 PM

Shaw needs to wake up and realize that they cant keep increase the price by 3 bucks every year. I am sure they must be bleeding customers going to Internet services (netflix).
yakiwchuk and Leafs13 like this.

post #49 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-15, 07:39 PM

My notice says the increase is $4.02, but we're on a promo, so we are not affected
post #50 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-18, 03:04 AM

They want an extra $6.05 plus taxes from me.
Will end up being $116 a month for just regular channels/bundles - no premium movies or sports.
post #51 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-18, 06:26 AM
Veteran

I'm on a $25 Vacation plan and its going up $5.01...........20% WTheck!
Time to cancel perhaps and sign up when I need it for a month although I only pay for 6 months a year.
post #52 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-18, 08:52 AM

Maybe I should do what you do and only pay 6 months a year. I can get my Canadian and specialty content off the internet when we're south for a few months.

Trouble is, we are addicted to PVR. Both wifey and I refuse to watch anything as it's broadcast. For us, a 'perfect view' is starting to watch an hour-long show about 20 minutes late using the PVR and finishing at the exact time the last 5 minute block of commercials starts at the top of the hour.

Now if only there was a way to get rid of those promo overlays that take up nearly half the screen.
post #53 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-18, 12:52 PM

Maybe to soften the blow of a price increase, I noticed that CTV Newschannel is now available in HD.
I very much like that. It is CBC, CNN, and now CTV for news in HD.

Too bad MSNBC and especially BBC World News aren't included, but not everyone is a news junkie, but I am pleased with CTV Newschannel being added.
post #54 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-18, 01:04 PM

What is happening with the CRTC deregulation that was promised? I cant wait to be able to drop all the crap I don't watch my bill is over $100 and its just got stupid
post #55 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-18, 06:53 PM

Maybe I should do what you do and only pay 6 months a year.
I originally was taking a 3 month seasonal break over the summer. For the last couple of years, i've been taking the 6 month maximum. OTA gets me through the summer/rerun season without too much pain.
post #56 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-22, 10:32 AM

OVP and HD Sports Bundle

I currently have the old Ontario Value Package, consisting of Digital Value Pack and Extra Value Pack, along with HD Sports Bundle.

I really only want all of the TSN's and Sportnet's in HD, and am wondering if there's a cheaper way to do this.

Can I get HD Sports Bundle with Digital Light?

Sorry for the simple question, but I find Shaw Direct's website to be a bit vague on this.

I see that now there is a thing called Ontario Life Package that appears to have all of those channels, but it costs a bit more than my old OVP combined with HD Sports Bundle.

I've been reluctant to change from OVP, because I'm under the impression that if I switch out, I can never get it back again.

Last edited by 57; 2015-11-22 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Moved to Existing Thread
post #57 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-22, 11:46 AM
Veteran

You can not add programming to the Digital Lite package so I think it would be best to stay with what you have. They are going to offer a-la-carte offerings later next year but I suspect the sports channels will have much higher prices than regular specialty channels.
And you are correct... once you leave OVP you can't go back.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #58 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-22, 05:05 PM

Actually, you are able to add programming to the Digital Lite package. I was told this when I subscribed to it in March of this year (2015). We now have Digital Advantage.
post #59 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-22, 10:30 PM

This is technically true, but I believe you can only add individual channels and not any theme packs to Digital Lite. it is an important distinction. if the channels you want are only available in theme packs you are out of luck.

Double check with ShawDirect but I do not think you can add the HD Sports bundle. But you could for example add individual channels such as Sportsnet World HD or beIN Sports HD. Fiendishly overcomplex.
post #60 of 273 (permalink) Old 2015-11-26, 08:02 PM

I have the OVP and had CTV NN HD . I called them last week for something and at the same time asked that they send me a signal to refreh my dish . Following this refresh i lost CTV NN HD even if i have it in SD ( and still have it in SD ) . I called them again yesteday and they told me that CTV NN HD is not part pf the old OVP, that's why i dont have it .

Are they right ?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-11-26 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Moved to correct thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.