Shaw Direct Programming/Pricing Discussions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-01-26, 09:06 PM

Thanks for all the info. We are heading out to the cabin next week, depending on weather, so when we leave to come back I intend to bring that receiver back to Calgary and use it here. So I will cancel that account out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-05-26, 07:41 AM

Anyone else want to help me out by requesting CBC / CTV Ottawa in HD? I'm not from there but not to have HD coverage from the nations Capital is crazy in this day and age.
post #18 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-05-26, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyPotato View Post
Anyone else want to help me out by requesting CBC / CTV Ottawa in HD? I'm not from there but not to have HD coverage from the nations Capital is crazy in this day and age.
I thought Toronto was the capital
CrispyPotato likes this.

post #19 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-05-26, 05:40 PM

I'll put in a request for CTV2 from Ottawa, the others are redundant
CrispyPotato likes this.
post #20 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-05-27, 04:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
I thought Toronto was the capital
No it is not. It is the centre of the universe
CrispyPotato likes this.
post #21 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-06-02, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchophile View Post
I'll put in a request for CTV2 from Ottawa, the others are redundant

Getting the local Ottawa 6 o'clock news in HD would be nice...
post #22 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-06-02, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs13 View Post
Getting the local Ottawa 6 o'clock news in HD would be nice...
E-mail a request to them Leafs! - Also, thanks to the poster who offered to request CTV2 Ottawa. This was also on my list.
post #23 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-06-02, 09:34 PM
Rookie

Location: Northern Ontario, Eastern Ontario, Central Quebec... It's complicated!
Oppps!

Reading the posts about Shaw HafH and I made the mistake of mentioning leaving a receiver behind at an address that my kid will be at while attending university. I was requesting a new dish be sent to the house we were returning to (dish is about 10 yrs old). Now they will not send the new dish, and I need to wait for a phone call from Shaw Direct to resolve the billing issue since I have violated their Terms of Service.

I gave the customer service rep the option of cancelling the receiver at the other address or cancel the account...

Their response was that I must call the 1-888 number to handle canceling the service (I was on the Web Chat).

Star Choice / Shaw use to have some of the best Customer Support I experienced, helpful, fast service, good service recommendations. I bad experience with the Terms of Service 'Mall Cop' and I am fustrated with this company.

If I cannot wander around with one of my receivers once in a while they why pay the premium monthly subscription when I can switch to Cable and bundle the internet and phone for the same or less cost!
post #24 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 08:15 AM

You're effectively stealing their service and now you're complaining about their customer service? Some people.
post #25 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 10:12 AM
Rookie

Location: Northern Ontario, Eastern Ontario, Central Quebec... It's complicated!
JasperJoe,

I haven't 'stole' anything yet. I would have liked to leave the receiver behind at the other address.

There was no 'sorry, you cannot do that', it is 'I am sorry, you must wait for a phone call now'.

This seems a little strange for Customer Service.
post #26 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 04:21 PM

Why doesn't Shaw Direct carry CTV 2 in HD? Also Peachtree , CMT, and OLN.
post #27 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 05:12 PM

Limited Satellite Capacity is one factor. Shaw Satellite is mainly for distribution of signals to Cable Systems and local cable systems can pick up CTV2 over the air in their local market.

There seems to be a different relationship between CTV and Shaw vs Rogers and Shaw. CityTV gets simsubbed across the board and out of market whereas CTV does not. Shaw of course simsubs Global across the board. Not sure if there is a strained relationship but there definitely is something different there and CTV2 HD seems to be a casualty of this. Others suggest that it is the lack of original HD programming ie news but who knows the real reason.

LOSat
post #28 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 05:25 PM

CTV2 is not available OTA in Halifax, Calgary or Edmonton.
You must subscribe to receive these stations.

The sadness is that they were forced to waste bandwidth on CTV Sydney and CTV Moncton (in SD) where only the local commercials differ from the content on CTV Halifax. Same story for CTV Northern Ontario: CTV Sault Ste. Marie / Timmins and North Bay.
Too Much Java likes this.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #29 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 05:45 PM

All of which begs the question, are there any cable systems that carry CTV2 in HD that are out of reach of an HD OTA transmitter? If so, how do they get their signal?
Too Much Java likes this.
post #30 of 275 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 06:03 PM

I know that CTV and CTV2 station are fibre fed in Halifax to EastLink cable. I assume the same for other stations.

Master Control for CTV and CTV2 Halifax is done via fibre from Toronto, so going across Robie Street to EastLink is not that big of a stretch.
Obed likes this.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.