Shaw Direct Channel Discussion Thread - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-04-04, 11:46 AM

From the press release:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Discovery World is shifting gears to become Discovery Velocity... with an extended 48-day national freeview from Feb. 12 – March 31
According to the ShawD web site, Discovery Velocity is:
128 (Classic) 628 (Advanced)

Discovery World was in the HD Extra pack, so I expect it still is (just the name changed.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-04-04, 12:39 PM

thanks. is 128 Classic a G1 channel? Or, do you have a link to the CURRENT G1 channel designations? I've been searching here and haven't found it yet
post #48 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-04-04, 12:59 PM

Discovery Velocity is still on F2 - it hasn't moved. Here's a recent list of G1 channels, or you can download the current XLS file from Shaw Broadcast.

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1

post #49 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-04-05, 10:32 AM

thanks a bunch. Shaw's web site really is pointless. I 'think' Velocity comes in a $5.99 package, but can't be sure as the link is dead on my i.OS device
post #50 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-04-05, 12:49 PM

I had a pop-up survey on the SD website not long ago asking to rate it and suggest improvements and so on. I suspect it will be made-over in the future to be more like (or even just the same as) the Shaw Cable website. That's not much better but it's a definite improvement on the current Shaw Direct site.
post #51 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-04-06, 03:28 PM
Veteran

Question

Its been sometime since I had SD, I can't remember but on the channel count(east or west)do they count all the channels available in either the East Or West(depending on where you are)on the system or do they just count the ones you sub to on your receiver?I know with Bell Fibe the count goes up and down mainly on the season?(NFL ST CI,Etc) either are added or dropped is it similar with SD?

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
post #52 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 11:12 AM

Looks like from other providers that NHL Network and GolTV will be shutting down later this summer. Hopefully this will give Shaw D some bandwidth to add a couple more HD channels ????
post #53 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 01:43 PM
Veteran

How about MLB and Fox Sports Racing?
post #54 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 02:16 PM
Veteran

Considering both of those channels are SD only, it wouldn't even be enough bandwidth for 1 HD channel.
post #55 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 04:20 PM
Veteran

Gol Tv is in HD, and doesn't SHAW Direct do H.264 now?
post #56 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 05:29 PM

regarding nhl network and goltv, they must be currently delivered in a format which is not mpeg4. if they can use the bandwidth using mpeg4 does that not give them more space (bandwidth) for new channels?
post #57 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 08:49 PM
Veteran

Gol TV does have an HD feed but not on Shaw Direct. Both Gol TV and NHL Network are on MPEG-2 8PSK 38MB/sec transponders. All of the MPEG-4 transponders are 8PSK 45MB/sec transponders. There is still some room on some of the transponders on Anik G1 and I would expect that any new channels will likely go there for now. Shaw Broadcast is going to have to start changing the FEC rate on some of the Anik F2 transponders and start converting channels from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4. Where this is on Shaw Broadcasts timeline is anyone's guess.
post #58 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-07-20, 11:27 PM

Please ADD

I would love to see NFL Network HD added... i keep hoping
post #59 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-08-15, 06:57 AM

Billy34 - use the website form and ask them to send in a channel request for you. The more, the better! (Not to say they have to listen to them mind).

Also, noted that 986 (3D PPV), 987 / 988 (French / English xKu Help) have vanished off the EPG. They are still accessible, just not listed. Not sure if they are planning to use the 3D PPV space elsewhere - the other two just point to an existing stream, so no space gained there. There may be an extra HD PPV channel, but I'm not 100% as I don't generally count them!

I can't understand how they can take off those channels, but not the 'Alternate' TSN (113 Advanced), which hasn't been used in a long time.

Oh, and aren't NHL Network and GolTV closing soon? I know bite is, and Teletoon Retro, though there's a rumour that Corus will use the same space to get Cartoon Network onto Shaw and Rogers. I'm also curious to see if Shaw will pick-up Disney Channel Canada.

EDIT: Looks like they are still showing 3D movies on 986. They're listed via the search function and in the PPV listings right up until August 28th. Perhaps an error?

Last edited by CrispyPotato; 2015-08-15 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Typo / Additional Info
post #60 of 368 (permalink) Old 2015-08-22, 08:38 PM

I am messaging Shaw a lot about what will happen with Teletoon Retro and Disney Channel and even other channels and here is what they said;
-Teletoon Retro will relaunch into Cartoon Network
-Disney Channel Canada launches
Both of these are a 90% chance
-Launch of Terror TV (When they confirm a release date)
-Launch of MavTV Canada
-Reworking of NFL, NBA and NHL channels
-Relaunches of Disney Junior and Disney XD in fall 2015

Tags
cw network , hd channels , new channels , shaw direct , superstations , wgn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.