External (SATA) Hard Disk Drive (eHDD) Discussions for HDPVR 630 - See post 1 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-21, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

External (SATA) Hard Disk Drive (eHDD) Discussions for HDPVR 630 - See post 1

Awesome! Thanks for the update!!

Now, what drive do we buy?

Edit by 57 - thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread specifically for the eHDD for the 630.

From the Firmware thread:

Quote:
HDPVR 630 External Hard Drive Support

- HDPVR 630 customers can now connect a single eSATA hard drive to expand their recording capacity, up to 2 TB (2000 GB)

- A 2 TB drive would provide over 1360 SD, or 360 HD hours of additional recording capacity!

- Drives must:

- Be connected via eSATA (not USB)

- Be externally powered (i.e. with a cord that plugs into an electrical outlet)

- Be 2.0 TB or smaller

· Drives should:

- Be rated for PVR/DVR usage. These are drives specifically designed to be quieter, run cooler, and support multiple HD streams and 24/7 usage.

- eSATA hotplug is not supported in this release, meaning the receiver must be rebooted if a drive is connected or disconnected. The onscreen menus will then guide the customer through the setup or divorce instructions.
From post 7 - eHDD link on SD:

http://www.shawdirect.ca/promotions/...an_ExternalHDD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-21, 11:18 AM

Western Digital DVR Expander

I have a Western Digital DVR expander and they are great. Super quiet and cool running. You can probably also get by with a spare drive and an eSATA enclosure. The key with DVR expanding is to use a setup that won't auto sleep or spin down the hard drive after a set period of inactivity. That always seems to be the kiss of death for lockups and such.

A nice feature of the DVR expanders is an automatic optimization algorithm that's basically a defrag that the drive runs on itself to ensure its able to stream efficiently without lots of seeking. That becomes important when recording 2 HD shows while watching another.

Last edited by 57; 2012-10-21 at 11:35 AM. Reason: UQR
post #3 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-21, 11:33 AM
Veteran

Ya I have a WD My Book AV drive I hope will work. Bought this a couple of years ago for my mother to use on her Rogers PVR but this never worked properly with her PVR so I'm going to try it on my 630 once I get the new software.

~Gary
Rogers NextBox 2.0 w/ 500gb hd | HD VIP | former SD sub | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | watch me LIVE!
post #4 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-21, 05:33 PM

Can I use a regular external HDD that is USB and get a USB/eSATA adapter to plug into the 630? Or is it a must that I buy an eSATA enclosure? Any special HDD needed?
post #5 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 01:46 PM
Veteran

The eSATA > USB > eSATA link might be too slow and could present other issues. I would stick to an eSATA enclosure.

I am wondering how the programming is managed. Is the external drive treated as a separate device (like Bell PVRs) or is it treated as one big drive combined with the internal drive (like Rogers PVRs?)

Is the drive portable between PVRs on the same account (like Bell PVRs?) I would like to transfer some programming from one 630 to an external drive and watch it on the other 630. Is that possible?

Another issue would involve replacement of the internal drive. I want to transfer the programming to an external drive, return the original drive to the 630 and watch the programming on the external drive. Will that work or will the 630 make the programming on the external drive inaccessible?

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #6 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Further to the above Bob, I hope the drive can be taken from the 630 to a 605 at some point.
post #7 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 06:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

Official details and support information is now available at www.shawdirect.ca/external. I don't think there's a way to get to the page other than via the direct URL right now, so I apologize if I'm breaking site rules by posting the URL.

For the questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
I am wondering how the programming is managed. Is the external drive treated as a separate device (like Bell PVRs) or is it treated as one big drive combined with the internal drive (like Rogers PVRs?)
Effectively the latter.

Quote:
Is the drive portable between PVRs on the same account (like Bell PVRs?) I would like to transfer some programming from one 630 to an external drive and watch it on the other 630. Is that possible?
No. Like the cable platforms which use DCII, it's not possible for recordings to be played anywhere but on the unit they were created on.

Quote:
Another issue would involve replacement of the internal drive. I want to transfer the programming to an external drive, return the original drive to the 630 and watch the programming on the external drive. Will that work or will the 630 make the programming on the external drive inaccessible?
Also a no, for a couple of different reasons. First, there's not a way to copy files between the internal and external drive, because they're basically treated like the same "big drive". Second, you've lost the PVR database by replacing the internal drive which would also cause you to lose the recordings on the external drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnucleo View Post
Can I use a regular external HDD that is USB and get a USB/eSATA adapter to plug into the 630? Or is it a must that I buy an eSATA enclosure?
We haven't found a device which converts USB to eSATA, but as ScaryBob mentioned it'd probably be too slow. We specifically stuck with eSATA because it goes up to ~3.0 Gbit/s, versus ~480 Mbit/s for USB 2.0.

eSATA enclosures work great and can be had for ~$30 if you've got a drive to put in it.

Quote:
Any special HDD needed?
Drives rated for PVR or DVR usage are highly recommended, but not required. Naturally, DVR use is hard on a drive, so performance and longevity issues may be encountered if you use a regular consumer-grade drive.
post #8 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 06:47 PM

Extra Thoughts...

One more thing to note, the HDPVR 630 supports the connection of a single external hard drive. You can always "replace" the external hard drive, but you'll lose any recordings stored on the old drive. (The point here is it's better to get the biggest drive you think you'll need, rather than planning to buy multiple small drives and switch between them).

Also, glad you guys are excited about this one. We've been testing External HDD for the last few months and are really happy with how things have turned out. Enjoy!
post #9 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

SD 630 Support: as always great job, thanks for the input!
post #10 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 12:04 AM
Veteran

I'm also concerned about fault scenarios. What happens if the external drive loses power, the eSATA connection or it is turned off during recordings? What happens if it is turned off for an extended time? Will this cause corruption or loss of programming?

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #11 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 12:25 AM
Veteran

I'm also concerned about power failures. As I mentioned in my previous post I bought the WD My Book AV for my mother to use on her Rogers 8300 PVR but whenever she had a power failure or some kind of a reboot she would lose all her programs on the My Book. I'm hoping this doesn't happen when I try it on my 630.

Curious as to why the external drive feature was not activated on the 605? Were there problems or has SD not tried to get it to work on the 605 yet?

~Gary
Rogers NextBox 2.0 w/ 500gb hd | HD VIP | former SD sub | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | watch me LIVE!
post #12 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 09:57 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Anyone with a PVR should have it (and the eHDD) connected to a UPS. See the following FAQ on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...403#post413403

Of course a UPS will not keep the PVR (and eHDD) up indefinitely, but it will cover most power failures (and brownouts), which are typically a few seconds/minutes.

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #13 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 10:18 AM

Are there any specific HDD's I should be looking for, outside of the generic "DVD/PVR" rated?
post #14 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 10:52 AM
Veteran

I have both my 630s on a UPS but, as they say, "Stuff happens." I'm just wondering how robust this external drive system is.

I would look for external drives rated for multimedia use. The internal drives are just cheap, generic 5400RPM models but some people report better results with faster, more durable drives.

post #15 of 222 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 11:00 AM

Location: Penticton, BC, SC 505 HD, Westinghouse 32" HD LCD Widescreen, Yamaha RVX3800, eleganza 5.1 speakers
got the update last night, now off to the weeb to find a esata hdd.

Not a ton of reasonably priced options out there for a 2tb drive. May just end up buying a case and hdd separately.

Yamaha RVX3800, Eleganza Speakers, Epson Pro Cinema 1080p, 106" Accuscreen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.