External (SATA) Hard Disk Drive (eHDD) Discussions for HDPVR 630 - See post 1 - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-23, 08:26 AM
Rookie

$69.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphf View Post
Installed Vantec Nexstar 3 ( $40 ) and Seagate 2TB Baracuda 7200 RPM 64MB ( $100 ). Easy install. Went from 86% to 10%.
Thanks to this discussion I learned about the new 630 firmware update and drive options. I have been using the same pair as above with no glitches for a couple of weeks. I've been meaning to join and post my results but what prompted me to do so this morning is that this same 2TB drive is on sale at tigerdirect dot ca for $69.99. It appears the sale is for today, Black Friday only. My in-store sale price at Tiger Direct was $104 I think.
My capacity went from 68% to 8%.
The 630 did not recognize the drive the first time I tried turning it on after plugging in the drive. It was because I had the 630 off when I plugged in the drive. On the second try I had the 630 on when i plugged in the drive, and it recognized the drive right away.

Last edited by henryh; 2012-11-23 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo, clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-23, 09:29 AM

What about the Fantom?

Has anyone tried the Fantom GreenDrive Pro with the 630? the 2 TB model is currently $130 on amazon
post #78 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-24, 04:42 PM

Do not use Rosewill enclosures, readily available at new egg. Apparently they use a different/new chipset in the controller board that the 630 does not recognize.

Vantec seem to all work well.

post #79 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-25, 09:47 PM

More than one ?

Can I have more than one external hard drive and switch them back and forth without loosing the recordings on them?
post #80 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-25, 10:43 PM
Veteran

I don't think you can. The 630 records the serial number of the eHHD (Option-4-9-7-7-1 then press the left arrow button to screen "R") so when you switch out the eHHD it would detect a different serial number and require a reformat when you switch.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #81 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-27, 01:02 PM
Rookie

HD allocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post
One more thing to note, the HDPVR 630 supports the connection of a single external hard drive. You can always "replace" the external hard drive, but you'll lose any recordings stored on the old drive. (The point here is it's better to get the biggest drive you think you'll need, rather than planning to buy multiple small drives and switch between them).

Also, glad you guys are excited about this one. We've been testing External HDD for the last few months and are really happy with how things have turned out. Enjoy!
How does the 630's controller decide where a recording goes? What happens if it is recording 2 shows at once? I know that there are 2 tuners. I was under the impression that in a 630 there are 2 internal HDs, or at least that there is a single HD with 2 record heads. A Shaw tech told me that such is not the case. So now, not only would I like to find out what happens when recording 2 shows when an extHD is hooked up, but I am also wondering how 2 recordings are done on just the intHD(s).

[Great forum. Thanks for all the info I've gleaned so far.]
post #82 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-27, 01:17 PM
Veteran

All the shows are recorded on the eHHD. Not sure if it would record on the internal drive once the eHHD is full. Maybe.

~Gary
post #83 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-27, 01:35 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I believe the unit works similar to Rogers PVR, which is as follows:

The recording goes to the HDD that has the most room - percentage wise. This means that if the iHDD was used a lot, then most new recordings will go to the eHDD.

If there are two recordings, then both drives are used - there is one internal and one external. There are not two internal drives, nor do they have 2 heads, they are simply HDDs similar to those used in computers - these can work fast enough to do two recordings and read a previously recorded programme (as evidenced if you don't have an eHDD.

This is also different from what happens with Bell and their USB drives. On the 9XXX series PVRs, the eHDD is used for archiving only and not for direct recording. On the 6XXX series, there is no iHDD, so the eHDD is used for single recordings because the 6XXX only has one tuner. The 6XXX can record one programme and watch a pre-recorded programme.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #84 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-27, 01:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
All the shows are recorded on the eHHD. Not sure if it would record on the internal drive once the eHHD is full. Maybe.
I understand that the controller records on the HD that has the most recording space remaining. But I'm sorry if I'm not getting it. How would the eHHD record two shows at once? My low-tech brain still has visions of 2 HDs or at least 2 recording heads springing into action.

Just saw 57s reply come in as I sent mine. OK. I will sit back and trust the technology.

But maybe I can add/ask: I have had to purge or reset my 630 in the past. Unfortunately this not only gets rid of any unwatched recordings, it also trashes your favorites and timers. I have thought out loud (fantasy-land, probably) that it would be nice if the faves/timers could be stored separately so that one does not have to have the onerous task of putting all that back if a reset is needed. If, as explained to me, the iHDD has this info but the eHDD now has the recordings does this change anything?

Last edited by PVRNB; 2012-11-27 at 01:51 PM. Reason: more accurate
post #85 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-27, 01:41 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Please read post 83. A single HDD has the capacity to handle much more information flow than is required by a measly PVR. There is no need for additional heads, drives, etc. On IPTV, such drives can handle say 6 recordings...

In the same way that a computer can multi-task, appearing to do many things at once with a single HDD, a PVR can do the same.

post #86 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-27, 01:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
I believe the unit works similar to Rogers PVR, which is as follows:

The recording goes to the HDD that has the most room - percentage wise. This means that if the iHDD was used a lot, then most new recordings will go to the eHDD.

If there are two recordings, then both drives are used - there is one internal and one external. There are not two internal drives, nor do they have 2 heads, they are simply HDDs similar to those used in computers - these can work fast enough to do two recordings and read a previously recorded programme (as evidenced if you don't have an eHDD.
So the 630's iHDD (with its single HD) can record two shows at once, but once an eHDD is hooked up it means that the eHDD can only record one show at a time and the other show goes on the iHDD?
post #87 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-27, 02:36 PM

No, but that's what typically happens, unless one or the other HDD is full, in which case one drive would record both programmes, just as before. Or if you removed the eHDD and started using only the iHDD.

The PVR cannot operate only with the eHDD since the index and IPG are stored on the iHDD. Adding the eHDD basically makes the PVR function like it has a larger single HDD.

post #88 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-27, 03:49 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your help and info. I have ordered a 1Tb WD PVR Expander, based on the experiences of other members, and now await its arrival.

Last edited by 57; 2012-11-27 at 04:54 PM. Reason: UQR
post #89 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-27, 11:10 PM
Veteran

My iHHD never gets used. It always sits at 238G. Size:238G, 238G free. It's my eHHD that is doing all the recording including the double recordings.

~Gary
post #90 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-11-28, 11:58 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
My iHHD never gets used. It always sits at 238G. Size:238G, 238G free. It's my eHHD that is doing all the recording including the double recordings.
So even the external HD will do a double recording event. Interesting.

I ordered an eHDD because even with 08.26 my phantom recordings were still there. I figured that if this problem is still not resolved, at least a terabyte eHDD will give me WAY more space even if it starts to get clogged up with 'phantom' recordings, and allow more time to pass before I need my next reset. It is a drag to have to redo favorites, timers, etc. and I didn't want to do that at this time.

This might be a bit off topic, but I can now report that I tried a front panel reboot this morning and my HD 'gauge' did in fact reset itself to the proper %. Let's hope that 08.26 is indeed a fix, although before the reboot I was still seeing anomalies when I deleted. And I hope I will not have problems with my eHDD when it arrives.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.