External (SATA) Hard Disk Drive (eHDD) Discussions for HDPVR 630 - See post 1 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:18 PM
Veteran

USB 3.0 seems to be taking over the high speed external device market. Once again, Shaw is looking like they are years behind the times. eSATA has always had issues, though it works well once up and running.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Anyone with a PVR should have it (and the eHDD) connected to a UPS. See the following FAQ on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...403#post413403

Of course a UPS will not keep the PVR (and eHDD) up indefinitely, but it will cover most power failures (and brownouts), which are typically a few seconds/minutes.
Can you or anyone else recommend a specific model of UPS to buy?
Thanks!
post #18 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:52 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Basically any UPS will do the trick, provided you plug only the PVR (and eHDD) into the battery backup side as discussed in the FAQ. Recommend APC or Belkin, but watch the sales and you can pick one up for $50-100. There's also the following inexpensive vendor:

http://www.upsforless.ca/

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #19 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
USB 3.0 seems to be taking over the high speed external device market. Once again, Shaw is looking like they are years behind the times. eSATA has always had issues, though it works well once up and running.
Considering at the time of the 630 coming to market there were virtually no USB 3.0 devices, this argument doesn't seem to hold water. There are newer DVRs then the 630 that don't use USB 3.0 either. ESATA is the current standard for DVR expansion, just as it was in 2010. That may change in the future, but to say Shaw was years behind in 2010 by building the 630 with eSATA instead of USB 3 (which at that time was wholly unproven in the market), is silly.
post #20 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 57!
post #21 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 05:23 PM

Was targeted to get the 8.26 firmware download, so I forced a download. While that was happening ran out and picked up a 1TB ext drive ((WD1002FAEX). Will give me 180 hrs of HD recording more than enough for me. Followed the instructions on the Shaw website for set-up and was going in less than 5 minutes. I have 20 hrs recorded and it shows 8% full where as before the 20 hrs showed 40%.
post #22 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Costco has an APC 550VA UPS that is fine for powering a DVR plus drive and/or HTPC. It's about $50. Beware some of the other big box stores. They charge more than retail for APC UPS models they carry. It's cheaper to buy directly from APC, even with shipping.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #23 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 06:04 PM

I got the update last night. When I went to see if the recordings phantom undeleted recording had been deleted. I was disappointed to see that it said my drive was 93% full and then it suddenly changed to 20% full.

This morning went out and picked the the WD My Book AV extender plugged it in rebooted the 630 it detected the drive offered to format and said it was now ready to use. Checked how full the drive was and instead of 20% it now says 5% full. So far so good. That's the way things should work. Let's hope it stays that way.

Bob
post #24 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 09:09 AM
Rookie

I will be receiving a 2TB G-Technology G-Drive tomorrow and will report how well it works.

From what I found, the choices for 2TB drives with eSata are few. The one I ordered (part number 0G00203) has already been discontinued and replaced with a new model with USB 3. Luckily I managed to get an old one.
post #25 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 09:31 AM
Veteran

I prefer to put together my own from a case and bare drive. There are two advantages to this. One is that bare drive warranties are longer. The other is that I know exactly what drive is inside the case (make, power, speed, intended application, etc.)

post #26 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

ScaryBob: is there a drive/case combo that you recommend & place to get it? I'm looking for 2TB's. Thanks!
post #27 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 12:18 PM
Veteran

I haven't tried an external drive on the 630. Some general observations from past experience: Get an aluminum case with external power supply. Go with name brands, not house brands or generics, and read user reviews to see how they work for eSATA. Many 2.5" cases are not supplied with power supplies but must be purchased separately. I've used power supplies from other small devices, such as USB hubs. Just make sure the voltage and parity are correct (usually 5v, center positive.)

For 3.5" drives, get a lower power "green" drive or, preferably, a drive designed for multimedia use. For 2.5" drives, get a higher performing or multimedia drive. Avoid drives that have hard coded spin down features. Some green drives may do this but it's usually only done when the spin down or standby value is set by software. (This is also a problem with some pre-assembled external drives.)

post #28 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 12:28 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
get a lower power "green" drive
Be aware that "green" drives may spin down on their own and the PVR may not spin them up properly when needed. We have encountered issues with those many times on the Rogers PVRs, so most people have been using the WD "Black" drives with "Vantec" enclosures. Some people have been able to connect the "green" drives to a computer first and disabled (or check) the spin down feature...so I'm not saying they won't work, just be aware. Also, I'm not saying that WD Black/Vantec is the way to go, just that it has worked on Rogers.

Good Luck. Having something work for a day or two is also a lot different from a long term test. Anyone with access to several different enclosures and drives - feel free to experiment and report back here

For those interested, there are two eHDD sticky threads in the Rogers HDPVR forum for the 8300 and 8642.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #29 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 12:34 PM
Veteran

There was one model of WD Green drive that had the spin down/standby feature hard coded. They are no longer made. Current models can be set to not spin down (the default) or to spin down automatically. This parameter (and others) can be set by software. However, exercise caution and change settings only when necessary since incorrect settings can render a drive unusable.

post #30 of 230 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Damn, now I'm more confused than when we started...

If anyone finds a 2TB DVR rated drive that they think would suit the 630, please send me/post a link. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.