Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Remote Control Discussions.

131K views 208 replies 58 participants last post by  tvmaster 
#1 ·
SD HD 600 receiver - 32" Samsung lcd 450 tv

Its a new receiver & new tv so I'm in the process of getting everything setup & so far, so good.....the 600 remote "talks" to the tv; both the mute & volume, up & down, work fine....

My question is:

When I want to turn everything off, I use the power button on the 600 remote to power off both the receiver & the tv....the receiver turns off & the tv "turns off", but only to a "sleep" mode, rather than turning right off....tech support at SD told me that it was supposed to work that way, so the tv is always ready to be turned on.....

Does that sound right?.....other than using the tv remote to turn it right off, is there a setting that I haven't found yet that will let me use the 600 remote to turn the tv right off?.....

Many Thanks,
Toodee2

#2 ·
First Post so this may be delayed before showing.
I have a 600 receiver and a Samsung 32" LED 450 Series. Try holding the Power Button on the remote in for a few seconds until you see the power indicator flash on the TV - receiver & TV will both fully shut off. Samething on startup. Make sure you have synchronized the Power On-Off button as per the instructions with the remote. Both my Samsung TVs & 600 receivers work this way.

#4 ·
Not sure if it's pertinent now, but I've had to do a factory reset on my 600 remote twice in two months to get the master power functioning again (allowing Samsung TV and STB to power off and on together). Otherwise the TV would just go black; everyone thinking it was off.

#9 ·
I agree and this is different from the original remotes that were included when the 6xx series first came out. Shaw sent me a new remote when the #7 key stopped responding but this 3 second feature is so frustrating that I continue to use my old remote without access to the #7 key.
Absolute DAFT design change

#11 ·
Look for one of Harmony remotes from Logitech.Have 3 of them. I would stay away from the very cheap ones they don't allow "activities" but if you just want one which works like SD remotes even the cheap ones are OK. All this remotes upgrade via USB from an online data base so you are not afraid that your next TV will not work with them.

#10 ·
All my remotes work with the 630. For recording, it is options and then 8. Much more flexible than the old 530 remotes! Given all the trouble with remotes, this is an advantage as it is only one more button to get to the recording menu.

(I even picked up some old 305s free which did not work but their remotes work fine.)

#12 ·
How does one get the remote to not screw up other devices.

Just got a 630 and I also have a 4dtv discovered both use the same remote. I know the 4dtv cant be changed but according to the menus the 630 can. have gone through and tried to get it to take a new code but it has not stuck.

#13 ·
The remote control manuals for the 600 series are incorrect in their instructions. I got these directly from SHAW; the steps include resetting the remote code itself:

RESET REMOTE for DVR 630 and regular 605:
Here are the following steps you need to do in order to program your DVR 630 remote back with your unit.
Steps 1-5 assume you are actually connected with the remote.
Steps 6-10 are used when you no longer have contact with the receiver; for example, when you've tried to change the address and made a mistake, thereby losing control.
*If you do not know which address the receiver is set to, and need to find it, skip steps 1-5 and follow steps 6-9 until you're able to control the receiver*
1. Press SAT
2. Press Options
3. Press 4 (system settings)
4. Press 3 (installation settings)
5. Press 2 (remote control address)
6. Press and hold ENTER + MUTE until device buttons flash
7. Enter in new remote code:
8. 000, 001, 002, 003, 004, 005, 006, 007 (after a set of 3 #’s have been entered you have to press enter and mute again to make the buttons flash)
9. Press ENTER
10. Press EXIT

#14 ·
The 6XX series receivers use 4 digit remote address codes.

adm222, go and change your remote address to something else (other than the default remote address of '0000'). You can set values from '0000' to '0007'. Options 6-4-3-2. (Installation Settings -> Remote Address)

#15 ·
The 6XX series receivers use 4 digit remote address codes.
Not so. The manuals are WRONG. Here is a follow up from Shaw:
605 and 550 remotes functionally the same:
"Turn off the DSR605, then head over to the DSR505 and press Options 6-4-3-2. This will take you to the Remote Control Address Screen. It will probably show the Current Address as 0000. If the DSR605 and DSR505 are being controlled by both remotes, then the codes will be the same. To change the code, if you are using an URC550 remote, press and hold SAT until all the mode buttons start flashing. Then enter 001, then press Enter. Four number appear on the screen but this remote uses a three digit code. You will not see the numbers change on the screen until you press Enter. The code should now be 0001. If it did not work, try it again. You can also use any code from 001-007. If you are using an URC551 remote, there is a different set of codes for that.
You can leave the DSR605 on code 0000 or change it to a different number just in case your neighbours also have Shaw Direct at home. On the IR/RF600 Remote, you must press Options 4-3-2. You will also be using the same 3 digit codes as the URC550, from 000-007."

#16 ·
Mike, you're right, the instructions I posted were for my 505 receiver. The 505 does use 4 digit remote addresses. And then I checked my 630, and to change remote addresses on that receiver I had to enter 3 digit codes even though it displays 4 digits. That's not confusing at all! :confused:

#17 ·
I'm amazed at Shaw's lack of response to my complaints over the last year about the major errors in their remote control documentation. I headed up several technical doc teams over the years, and it's nothing to fix a mistake like that and reprint, especially for a product that keeps getting shipped out of inventory. Even more so when you consider the PDF files they put online. Those could be updated daily if they wanted to. Slackers. Slacker manager, or slacker executive in charge of manager? At least tech support gave me the answers I needed via email.

#19 ·
The remote control address on the 00.FE (207, 209, 317, 319, 505, 530) and 6XX (600, 605, 630) receivers are changed from the same screen:

OPTIONS, 6, 4, 3, 2. (The first 6 can be ommitted on the 6XX, but won't do anything if you press it).

Once you are on this screen, the receiver will respond to a command from any of the 8 remote addresses and change the receiver to only respond to that address.

The thing to remember is that each model of remote control has different steps for actually changing the address. For the 6XX, you will either have an IR/RF 600 or IRC 600/URC 600. If you try to follow the directions for the wrong remote, it's not going to work.

The same goes for the silver IRC 550/URC 550 and IRC 551/URC 551 remotes.

All hyperlinks are directly to the PDF manuals on our website. Once you're in the "Remote Control Address" screen, you can skip to the instructions on actually changing the address. 0000-0007 are available, but the actual digits you enter on the remote (and how to get it into programming mode) are different for each model.

#20 ·
Remote TV codes for new TV

I have a DVR630 and have just acquired a newer Sanyo TV. I have used several other TV's with this unit and have had no problems connecting them with the remote. However, this TV is newer than the remote manual; current one is dated Mar 2010. I tried all of the codes listed for Sanyo with no success. I then tried the "Point and Press" method. It found one code that would turn the TV on and off, but the volume, mute etc. do not work. In fact the channel up down button controls the volume! I called Customer sevice and went through everything again with the same results. When I read back the code it comes up with a code not listed fro Sanyo.
Has anyone found out a way to find the codes for newer TV's?

#22 ·
URC 550, what a nightmare!!!!

I'm trying to help my neighbor program his new LG television so he can control the volume with his Shaw URC 550 remote control. First of all, every picture I look at for URC 550 on Shaw's site is not what his remote looks like.:eek: The picture shown is different than the picture in the downloaded manual and then it states IRC 550?. Can anyone point to me which method I should use for this supposedly "URC 550"?

He has 2 DSR 505 with two "URC 550" remote controls. One hooked up to a new LG and the other a Panny in the basement.

I don't have Shaw and this isn't convincing me to change:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

#23 ·
Found solution

Here's what I tried from what I read and it worked.

1. Turn tv on

Using the remote control keypad….

2. In this order, press and hold the [ENTER] button,
then the [MUTE] button. Hold both buttons down
together until the mode buttons illuminate in
rotation (i.e. SAT 􀃆 TV 􀃆 DVD 􀃆 AUDIO 􀃆 AUX
􀃆 SAT…). Release both buttons as soon as the
mode buttons illuminate.

3. a. To program your TV,

3.b. Press the channel+ button (not the up arrow) repeatedly but not too fast until the tv turns off. Once the tv turns off, press mute.
4. If the TV turns back on, press [ENTER] to
lock in the code.

#24 ·
Remote code for Vizio Sound bar

Hi all,

I am trying to program my new Vizio VSB200 soundbar to the remote that comes with the 630 (IR/RF 600). The manual doesn't have a code for Vizio. Anyone know what it could be or if Shaw/Motorola have released an updated list somewhere? I tried the point/click method but it takes forever and with no luck (so far).

Thanks

#26 ·
Until/unless the Shaw remote comes with a learning function, we are always going to be stuck with this problem. The only way around it is to get a universal learning remote and copy everything onto that, including the Shaw remote. After 15 years or so of looking for Motorola codes that can be used on any universal remote, I have yet to find one.

I'd definitely be willing to pay extra for a Shaw remote with learning. (PS: I also have a Vizio sound bar, the VSB210WS, you know the one where the indicator lights stop working almost immediately after purchase?)

#27 ·
Your post was moved to this existing thread. If the user guide for the remote has an option for "scanning through all the codes", then you may wish to try that, however, I've found that sound bars are often not included in the basic code set of these types of remotes. The "off-brands" like Vizio are also often not included.

You could also consider a programmable remote like the Harmony.

#28 ·
Thanks mod. Didn't realize there was a remote sticky (searched Vizio not remote :S).

So if i understand correctly, the codes listed in the manual are the only ones programmed into the remote itself. Other than finding one that may work with point/click, it's otherwise not possible, correct?

I'd prefer not to have to buy yet another remote (like a Harmony). The sound bar probably wont be used all the time, especially if it cant be programmed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.