Shaw Direct Remote Control Discussions. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-12, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Shaw Direct Remote Control Discussions.

SD HD 600 receiver - 32" Samsung lcd 450 tv

Its a new receiver & new tv so I'm in the process of getting everything setup & so far, so good.....the 600 remote "talks" to the tv; both the mute & volume, up & down, work fine....

My question is:

When I want to turn everything off, I use the power button on the 600 remote to power off both the receiver & the tv....the receiver turns off & the tv "turns off", but only to a "sleep" mode, rather than turning right off....tech support at SD told me that it was supposed to work that way, so the tv is always ready to be turned on.....

Does that sound right?.....other than using the tv remote to turn it right off, is there a setting that I haven't found yet that will let me use the 600 remote to turn the tv right off?.....

Many Thanks,
Toodee2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-12, 11:22 PM
Rookie

First Post so this may be delayed before showing.
I have a 600 receiver and a Samsung 32" LED 450 Series. Try holding the Power Button on the remote in for a few seconds until you see the power indicator flash on the TV - receiver & TV will both fully shut off. Samething on startup. Make sure you have synchronized the Power On-Off button as per the instructions with the remote. Both my Samsung TVs & 600 receivers work this way.
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-13, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

FlyontheWall, you are right on the money!!!......Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!......that works like a charm.....

Its a little thing but it was niggling at me.........

I appreciate your help,
Toodee2

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-21, 01:24 AM

Not sure if it's pertinent now, but I've had to do a factory reset on my 600 remote twice in two months to get the master power functioning again (allowing Samsung TV and STB to power off and on together). Otherwise the TV would just go black; everyone thinking it was off.

... Mike
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-06-26, 05:13 PM

DSR 305 Remote

Hi,

I'm looking to get a second remote for a DSR 305, can anyone help with a suggestion.

I can't seem to find one in Toronto on Kijiji that doesn't come with the receiver too.

Thanks,
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-06-26, 05:17 PM

A follow-up; perhaps mentioned elsewhere: the new 600 and 605 remotes require THREE SECONDS of holding down the Master Power (to turn off all your programmed devices). This is a serious hardware setback.

... Mike
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-06-27, 10:21 AM
Veteran

Any Motorola/GI satellite remote will work any receiver.

There was one which was satellite only, and fixed to address 0, that came with the 421C, that I would avoid.

Some universal remotes have decent support for Motorola/GI satellite.
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-06-27, 10:32 AM

But apart from online, where do you get such a thing, and why would it be better than the ones that come from Shaw?

... Mike
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-06-27, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDRiley View Post
A follow-up; perhaps mentioned elsewhere: the new 600 and 605 remotes require THREE SECONDS of holding down the Master Power (to turn off all your programmed devices). This is a serious hardware setback.
I agree and this is different from the original remotes that were included when the 6xx series first came out. Shaw sent me a new remote when the #7 key stopped responding but this 3 second feature is so frustrating that I continue to use my old remote without access to the #7 key.
Absolute DAFT design change
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-07-01, 02:13 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
All my remotes work with the 630. For recording, it is options and then 8. Much more flexible than the old 530 remotes! Given all the trouble with remotes, this is an advantage as it is only one more button to get to the recording menu.

(I even picked up some old 305s free which did not work but their remotes work fine.)
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-07-10, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDRiley View Post
But apart from online, where do you get such a thing, and why would it be better than the ones that come from Shaw?
Look for one of Harmony remotes from Logitech.Have 3 of them. I would stay away from the very cheap ones they don't allow "activities" but if you just want one which works like SD remotes even the cheap ones are OK. All this remotes upgrade via USB from an online data base so you are not afraid that your next TV will not work with them.
post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 04:04 PM

How does one get the remote to not screw up other devices.

Just got a 630 and I also have a 4dtv discovered both use the same remote. I know the 4dtv cant be changed but according to the menus the 630 can. have gone through and tried to get it to take a new code but it has not stuck.
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 04:18 PM

The remote control manuals for the 600 series are incorrect in their instructions. I got these directly from SHAW; the steps include resetting the remote code itself:

RESET REMOTE for DVR 630 and regular 605:
Here are the following steps you need to do in order to program your DVR 630 remote back with your unit.
Steps 1-5 assume you are actually connected with the remote.
Steps 6-10 are used when you no longer have contact with the receiver; for example, when you've tried to change the address and made a mistake, thereby losing control.
*If you do not know which address the receiver is set to, and need to find it, skip steps 1-5 and follow steps 6-9 until you're able to control the receiver*
1. Press SAT
2. Press Options
3. Press 4 (system settings)
4. Press 3 (installation settings)
5. Press 2 (remote control address)
6. Press and hold ENTER + MUTE until device buttons flash
7. Enter in new remote code:
8. 000, 001, 002, 003, 004, 005, 006, 007 (after a set of 3 #’s have been entered you have to press enter and mute again to make the buttons flash)
9. Press ENTER
10. Press EXIT

... Mike
post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 04:25 PM

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11
The 6XX series receivers use 4 digit remote address codes.

adm222, go and change your remote address to something else (other than the default remote address of '0000'). You can set values from '0000' to '0007'. Options 6-4-3-2. (Installation Settings -> Remote Address)
post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 04:30 PM

Quote:
The 6XX series receivers use 4 digit remote address codes.
Not so. The manuals are WRONG. Here is a follow up from Shaw:
605 and 550 remotes functionally the same:
"Turn off the DSR605, then head over to the DSR505 and press Options 6-4-3-2. This will take you to the Remote Control Address Screen. It will probably show the Current Address as 0000. If the DSR605 and DSR505 are being controlled by both remotes, then the codes will be the same. To change the code, if you are using an URC550 remote, press and hold SAT until all the mode buttons start flashing. Then enter 001, then press Enter. Four number appear on the screen but this remote uses a three digit code. You will not see the numbers change on the screen until you press Enter. The code should now be 0001. If it did not work, try it again. You can also use any code from 001-007. If you are using an URC551 remote, there is a different set of codes for that.
You can leave the DSR605 on code 0000 or change it to a different number just in case your neighbours also have Shaw Direct at home. On the IR/RF600 Remote, you must press Options 4-3-2. You will also be using the same 3 digit codes as the URC550, from 000-007."

... Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.