Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Direct 2012 New Channels Discussion

141K views 353 replies 97 participants last post by  bigoranget 
#1 ·
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2012.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Shaw Direct in 2012 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Shaw Direct has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces Shaw Direct 2011 New Channels Discussion

#60 ·
I guess HDnet just is bringing in the subs like they thought. Rogers got rid of the channel a while back and now SD as well. Can't say I blame them, other than the guys night in lineup, the channel doesn't really carry anything (and even that lineup is marginal at best). Anyone watch bikini barbershop? Terrible show but funny. LOL

#69 ·
Space HD! Of all the channels Shaw could have picked to get an HD feed they picked Space HD. Were still missing Discovery and other more important/high demand channels. Who in their right mind would pick a niche channel over popular channels like movietime, discovery, and CBC News Network? Bad decision because we are losing a great channel with lots of original content for one that mostly buys other stations series. I am not impressed.

#70 ·
It is just terrible to lose HDNET if you are an MMA fan, and yes the replacement channel for it coming in the summer named axs.tv will still carry the MMA stuff. With Bell TV giving up HDNET last year it gave some people another good reason to consider Shaw Direct. I'm sure HDNET is asking more than they should be to carry it, but Shaw is big enough to handle these kind of negotiations. Space HD is popular for many people, just not worth it to me to give up the best MMA channel available in Canada with their live events and weekly coverage show Inside MMA. :( They could have added Space HD when the new satellite goes into operation. :confused:

#71 ·
This is nothing more than another price increase in disguise by the Shaw robbers.

You can be sure that they'll be paying Bell less than 1/10 for Space HD that they are paying for HDNet - which is exactly the reason that Discovery HD is not being launched in place of Space HD. Bell charges BDUs less for Space vs Discovery HD feeds.

Shaw Direct - the ONLY company in Canada that makes Shaw Cable HD offerings look good.

#72 ·
This is great news ! I was waiting for Space HD for a long time, and I was quite dissapointed when they chose Food Network HD as the last HD channel in the available space (but well... Food is Shaw, so it had priority). HDNet was on a slide for a long time I even forgot when I watch last time something on it.They practically were left with a bunch of bikini based of "reality" shows.It reminds me of CityTv, a great channel years ago ( probably the best Canadian network when it was independent), just a name now.
It's true right now Space has mostly shows which I can see on another channels (except Merlin), but still, I expect new shows in fall. And it's good to have an alternative, even with the DVR sometime it's hard to record all shows me and my wife wants to see in HD ( we don't allways watch the same shows :) ) Some channels like WGN HD do not have a West feed for timeshifting in HD so "Supernatural" for example is either WGNHD east or Space at a later date(which was non HD until now).

Good choice Shaw !

I think Space was the highest rated HD channel which Shaw did not carry, anyway so it makes sense.I doubt now that will watch almost any standard deffinition programing. If they would offer an HD only package (cheaper of course than the full package) even with only the existing HD channels I would subscribe for it.But I think it's no benefit for Shaw to do this, so I doubt they will ever do it, except if somebody else will force them to compete, somehow.

#73 ·
I don't think Space is any more niche than Movietime (only shows old movies) or Discovery. Doctor Who is one of the top rated cable shows in Canada. I want it just for that.

I liked HDNet, especially their concert series, but I find I hardly watch it. Since I started subscribing in December I've only watched about 3 concerts on it. One of them, Oasis, I'd already seen.

#75 ·
I was hoping for FX Canada. No luck there I guess. It looks like HDNet is history in Canada. Bell, Rogers and now Shaw have dropped the channel. I can't say it's a huge loss at this point in time but it is still offers more unique programming than many Canadian specialty channels. I generally rate channels by the amount of *unique* and *new*programming they offer, regardless of personal taste. Reruns from other channels and networks don't count. HDNet is good in that regard but it has declined recently.

#76 ·
I just got this from Shaw Direct ...

"We found out only this morning that Space HD will be added to our lineup on March20th! As long as you are subscribed to the SD version of the channel you will receive the HD version in the no extra cost HD package. This will be available on channel 275/363 advanced."

#80 · (Edited)
I still think that Movietime and CBCNN should take priority. Space HD is not an adequate replacement for a channel that offered a unique lineup of shows from different genres. To be honest, I would rather subscribe to the new AXS channel then Space, as AXS will still broadcast the same Mixed Martial Arts Programming that I enjoyed on HDNet.

#81 ·
Is there anything we can do to keep HD Net? We too watch channel for the great music concerts and other shows. It probably is the most watched channel in our house.

How do they make these decisions are they able to tell who watch's what or do the just guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.