Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Direct 2012 New Channels Discussion

141K views 353 replies 97 participants last post by  bigoranget 
#1 ·
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2012.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Shaw Direct in 2012 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Shaw Direct has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces Shaw Direct 2011 New Channels Discussion

#6 ·
I was hoping for Space HD :(. To bad, I don't watch Food Network. In fact once they get Space in HD I will hardly watch any Sdandard Def channels at all. Would be nice to have in the future an "HD only" package (cheaper of course than current offerings).If any provider would offer this at half the price I'm paying now (over $100) I would switch to it.They are also missing 2 Movie Network channels in HD. Fortunately most movies will play on the HD channel at some time, so I just check the guide and set it to record it on the DVR when it plays in HD.Still, I pay for Movie Network and would expect to have ALL available channels in HD, not just some. I guess will wait and see how it's going after the new SAT gets active.

#9 ·
And how much more are you willing to pay for all those channels? Because we all know when new channels show up the price usually goes up also. Myself I'd be for, the all HD line-up and have the option of getting rid of all the sd channels that I never watch.

#10 ·
Shaw Direct should give it satellite customers the over the air signals of WKBD-TV (Ind.) Detroit, Michigan and WUAB-TV (Ind.) Cleveland, Ohio as part of Basic Essentials for Shaw Direct satellite customers in Ontario, Manitoba & Saskatchewan including Maritime Provinces of (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland & Labourdor). While Shaw Direct customers in British Columbia & Alberta would get KSTW (Ind.) Tacoma, Washington and KTZZ-TV (Ind.) Seattle, Washington as part of Basic Essentials theme pack.
Richtv, I'm sorry to say but you are living in a dream world. All these messages that you are posting in various forums is never going to happen. None of the cable systems or satellite providers are interested in offering distant US signals. These channels compete with the various broadcasts that the BDUs own. Also none of those channels above can be carried outside the regions they are available over-the-air in so even if they wanted to, the CRTC would not allow them to offer it on a national level. Also KTZZ is not even on the list of eligble services.

#12 ·
For the listed specialty channels, $1.49 to $2.49/month each. Of course, I would simply not opt to get most of them

For the listed broadcast channels, nothing. Well, not nothing, but I would be willing to lose most of the Canadian broadcast stations outside of my region, from my local package, having them be opt-in subscription on top of my local regional channels, plus a handful of US independant stations, as well as CW. MyTV, and This network affiliates.

#14 ·
Hi definition food channel ! what a joke.

Who cares if a grilled cheese sandwich is in high def or not. What a waste.

Just because people have HD TV it appears they will watch just about any thing to justify the use of their HD TV.

You want to see HD tv at its best tune in to Oasis or discovery , but ultra clear mac and cheese just doesn't cut it :eek:

#22 ·
You have to admit at least it's better then the useless Frame space waster.
As far as the others yes I'ld like them all but not if I have to pay for both feeds (sd & hd) You should have the option to pay for only HD feeds if that's what you want. I have freinds that don't (and most likely never will) have HD

#23 ·
Just spoke to a CSR a few minutes ago. I asked him if there would be any new HD channels coming before the launch of the new satellite. He said that while he doesn't have specifics that we can "be assured of new HD channels before the new satellite is launched". Here's to hoping.

#25 ·
Or all of BC, if Ontario is any judge, where most Ontarians have Global SD and HD Sim-Subbed, regardless if they have an HD transmitter available.

But yes, when G1 goes into service, it should mean a lot of the local channels that have HD, will be on Shaw Direct, as well as a lot more specialty channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.