Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DSR600 coming July 4th

Tags
dsr600
33K views 76 replies 38 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Discussed in this thread several months ago.

This was posted by some first time posters who linked to a retail site. First time posters with links to retail sites violate our anti-spam rules so the posts were blocked. Since the information is consistent with our original rumours I have re-posted.

From a dealer website so can't verify the accuracy of this information.

This new receiver will be released on July 4th on a first come, first serve basis. The main features this receiver brings are:

• Low cost - It’s never been easier to go HD with the new Essential HD receiver

• Ultra low profile HD/SD satellite receiver. The HDDSR 600 is 10’’ x 5,75’’ x 1.5’’ and weighs a little over 1lb.

• Essential connectivity via HDMI, composite and coaxial. Perfect for auxiliary HDTV’s or even the RV.

• MPEG-4 and 3DTV compatible. With the introduction of the HDDSR 600, Shaw Direct will be distributing an 100% HD and MPEG-4 compatible platform in the marketplace.

• Utilizes the same advanced software as the DSR605 with 14 day guide outlook, advanced search abilities, parental controls and more.

• Future ready for Ethernet based services such as Set-top VOD as well as 1080p broadcasts.

#2 ·
I had this in my Email this morning

"Essentiel HD receiver
We are very excited to launch our brand new entry level receiver, the Essential HD - HDDSR 600 Receiver! The Essential HD receiver replaces the DSR 209 in our hardware line-up and provides 14 days of expanded programming information, searchable guide. The HDDSR 600 is available to all customers through Call Centre, Websales, Direct Sales and Retailers on July 4, 2011."

"Price will be at $99.99
The HDDSR 600 features the same software as the HDDSR 605.
Included in the box when a customer purchases a HDDSR 600 receiver:
HDDSR 600 receiver
Detachable power supply (common to all 6XX receivers)
HDMI cable and RCA cable
Updated Shaw Direct Welcome Guide, specific to the 6XX receivers; Terms of Service
New IRC 600 3-in-1 remote control with batteries and programming instructions"

#9 ·
another difference is the lack of a front panel display (channel/clock)
i'm just glad it greys out unsubscribed channels and has the option to hide unsubscribed channels a big bonus when setting up an elderly customer.

#14 ·
This receiver is electronically and softwarewise 100% identical to the core of the 605. It just lacks some outputs and connections, display (might/should have traditonal satellite indicator), and UHF remote.

It appears to add an RF modulator though, to use with older TVs.
If true, that would be great for feeding a 2nd TV in another room (like the 505 & 530).

#16 ·
fatkev - I currently use a 505 and UHF remote to feed TV's around the house. The problem with the new lineup is the 605 has a UHF remote but no RF modulator, and the 600 has an RF modulator but no UHF remote. So neither works well.

I'd love to see those new locals in 16:9 squished 480i. RFO uses that and it looks good for SD. But unless the 6xx receivers are really good/easy to use for scaling/aspect, maybe that would be too confusing for most viewers?

#19 ·
fatkev - I currently use a 505 and UHF remote to feed TV's around the house. The problem with the new lineup is the 605 has a UHF remote but no RF modulator, and the 600 has an RF modulator but no UHF remote. So neither works well.
I do as well.
I missed the part where the 600 doesn't have a UHF remote - that sux. I guess I'll be sticking with my 505. Sounds like in the future I'll be forced to go to a 605 and have to buy a RF modulator for it (MPEG-4).

#18 ·
exactly classicsat.

HDMI has been on televisions for years so there is no need for component anymore so why waste the money.

#21 ·
if you need component and HDMI then you can buy the 605. The point that classicsat was making is that by removing the extra connectivity, you can shrink the box and the cost. (and that its not something mandated by Hollywood)

#22 ·
To me this looks like what they refer to as a "slave receiver" but this one has HD. Good 2nd HD unit and low cost (before was $199). Going to get 1 for our 2nd T.V.:D I can see this being sold to people that don't need all the bells and whistles that come with the higher end units... they just don't care to record shows,if they miss them it isn't the end of the world.

#29 ·
I'm going to prolly buy two - great for bedroom projection tv!
I have a Optoma PK 301 pico projector I bought on a lark, and am very impressed with. (480x848, so really nice 32" - 42" picture), this little receiver, and an iPod dock with an aux audio in will be great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.