Rain or Snow Fade - Please read post 1 first. - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 09:37 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the link, I will review it.

I expect a bit of signal loss, but not total. I added a line above - the problem has only been around since last winter has passed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 09:47 PM
Veteran

in heavy rain, like thunderstorms, will almost always be total loss of signal, typically as the storms are approaching, because the dish is usually looking thru more of the rain than when it is directly overhead. Also keep in mind there are fades in the uplink direction wherever the uplink transmitter is located as well (say Toronto)??

Moderate rainfall shouldn't cause ya to lose completely unless something is wrong.
60E is kinda small. Ya might have better results with a 75E or next one bigger than that. probly depends where u are located.

SBGH/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 11:18 PM

vincedeon,

I'll tell you where to look, underground!

I did a service call for a Bell TV customer three or four years ago, experiencing very similar problems.

He also had around 150 - 200 feet of cable underground.

Adjusting the dish, changing the LNB's did not change things.

So, we dug up the line and guess what we found?

The Bell Tech who installed it must've run out of cable and attached a new piece using the proper F81 barrel connector WITHOUT any weather protection.

When I opened up the connections, they were corroded.

I replaced the entire length of cable, he got all his signal strength back, and I haven't heard from him since.

So, did you install & bury the line? If you did, can you remember if the line is a single piece?

Maybe there is a small knick or cut somewhere along the buried portion of the line, and when it rains, water is absorbing into the ground and getting into the damaged section.

Also, I believe 200 feet of cable does not require any kind of in-line amplifier.

I'd ditch that too, in my opinion.

Honestly, if I was you, I'd replace that entire line, be sure you use the proper RG6 coax, and make it a single piece.

The time required will less than all the troubleshooting.

I just thought of another idea; it could be a receiver problem. If you know someone with a working Shaw receiver, ask them to try it out at your place, and install yours at their place. If you have a cable/dish problem, their receiver will act up too.

Good luck.

post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 2012-08-10, 07:13 AM
Rookie

As above, 200' should require NO amplification at all, it is well within the specs.

I would question the type of RG6 line used underground, is it the correct 'flooded' type of cable.? If not then even tree roots can damage the outer sheathing and allow water into the cable.

As you seam to say it is a recent issue, I would be looking for corrosion somewhere, including moisture ingress into the cable or a hidden connection.
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 2012-08-10, 09:49 AM
Rookie

Thanks to all.

My job jar, in this order:
-inspect cable end to end, replace if required
-remove inline amp
-replace 4x4 PT post with metal post with concrete base

It'll be a while but I'll report back with findings.
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 11:28 PM

Reception issues in the rain

... and I'm not talking thunderstorms, I'm talking normal rain.

As long as I've had Shaw Direct, I've noticed that reception during inclement weather is absolutely horrendous. I've had Bell and US providers in the past and while they would go out during bad storms (typically right before, and then come back right as the rain gets overhead) rain was never an issue. Rain kills HD channels, and SD channels often go out too but not for as long.

One thing I noticed right now is as I am watching National Geographic HD has an ECB of 5.5, and it's a perfectly clear night. When I've got PBS HD on in the morning for my son the ECB is around 6. The new G1 channels look fantastic, 10 or so. Happens on both receivers.

Is the sigh simply not aligned very well and needs to be peaked? Is sitting through hours of hold the only option, or can I send them an email about this and see what they say about having someone come out to look at it?
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 11:55 PM
Veteran

Yes, you need a realignment... your F2 Ecb/No.s are extremely low for the two channels you mentioned. I get 8.3 NG HD and 8.7 on PBS HD. Your G1 numbers are close to what I'm getting... in the 10s.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 2013-05-31, 12:38 AM

Waited an hour and a half on hold, but they're coming out on Tuesday. Hopefully it stays dry until then.
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 2013-05-31, 12:45 AM
Veteran

Wow, they didn't offer you the call back feature?

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 2013-05-31, 09:02 AM

Nope. Had that option been available I would have gladly used it.

Having said that, the person who I talked to was very friendly and a pleasure to deal with.
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 02:14 PM

Tech came out today, tweaked the dish ever so slightly and now the ECB on all of those HD channels is back into the 8s. Looks like all is well now.
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-09-01, 10:43 AM

Anybody else have loss of signal today?

All three of my receivers went out for a while this morning. It's bright and sunny here so it's not rain fade. My 630 was the first to recover, then my 605 but my 319 has yet to come back.
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 12:54 AM

It doesn't have to be raining where you live. If there are severe storms where the channel comes from or at the rebroadcast center it can mess up the signal
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 08:19 AM

I realize weather at the uplink can affect signal. I just assumed that even if the uplink was "broken" my receivers would still see signal from the sats - as opposed to zero which is what they were reporting.

My 319 returned to service quite a bit after the newer receivers.
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 12:25 PM

If the signal was blocked at the uplink there would be nothing to be sent back to you. I don't know why they wouldn't all come back on at the same time... maybe e-mail the Techies on that one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.