Rain or Snow Fade - Please read post 1 first. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Thunderstorms just rolled through Toronto
Hi 57 were new Shaw customers isn't Shaw in Alberta?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 05:34 AM
Veteran

There uplink centre is in Mississauga. Head office still in Calgary.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 08:51 AM
Veteran

Their main uplink is in Mississauga, and that is where most of the HD channels , US cable, and Toronto region originating broadcast and specialty channels are uplinked from.

They do have uplinks in about 6 other cities across the nation, plus Bell Media has their own uplinks that are used by Shaw Direct customers (at least at 299 QueenW and Channel 9 court in Toronto).

post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 03:59 PM

Simply put, a bad enough storm at an uplink will basically knock the channel(s) out nationally. (The signal can't pass UP to the satellite). You could be on cable (or IPTV) and still lose the channel, if it's satellite fed into the cable system.

As mentioned, Shaw Direct has a number of uplink sites nationally so weather should not be able to disrupt more than a few transponders at a time. Other providers may be more "centralized" and susceptible to a single location's weather.

Of course, bad weather at your own location can affect ALL your channels (the signal can't pass DOWN to your dish). This should be rare and having your dish fully peaked (maximum signal) should help minimize any disruptions.
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 07:16 PM

Hi everyone thanks for the info on the Shaw uplink. So if theres bad weather in TO does that knock out all the channels that Classicsat said or can Shaw send them to other upllinks?
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 10:09 PM

I have a feeling that attempting to switch feeds to go through a different uplink would take longer than the time it would take to for the storm to move through, then again, I really have nothing to back that up.
post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 10:51 PM

Hi everyone it's alittle before 8:00 on the West Coast and we're getting lots of dropouts and signal errors. I see some storms on the radar maps for TO is there another thunderstorm problem?
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 10:57 PM

Must be. We're in the East Kootenays and we're getting a lot of "Acquiring Signal" and freeze-ups. It's strange, because I can count on one hand the # of times that's happened in the 15 or so years we've been with them.

Sony KDL-52XBR4,SD DVR530/630,Tosh HD-A2 HD-A30, Pana DMP-BD65, Pio VSX-1015,Energy C3,CC100,ESM-4,S8.2, Engenius WAP
post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-26, 12:20 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
As you can see from the radar maps linked earlier in this thread, there are huge storms going through Toronto this evening. Most of the time storms roll through in the afternoon when most people are at work.

Post 19 by SD seems to intimate that it's rare that all the channels would be affected, due to multiple uplinks, unlike BTV which only has one (post 11)

http://www.intellicast.com/National/...e&animate=true

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar..._e.html?id=WKR Then press play

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-26, 09:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone thanks for the info on the Shaw uplink. So if theres bad weather in TO does that knock out all the channels that Classicsat said or can Shaw send them to other upllinks?
No. Each uplink is equipped only for the channels it uplinks, mostly local channels, although there is no technical reason to not set up a full backup up link in Calgary or the like, and feed it with fibre, and have a Plan B if Mississauga will be down for some time.
The thing with storm outages, is that they are too short to bother switching.

In extreme circumstances, they could map the HD channels to the SD version, like they did not to long ago.
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-27, 10:31 PM

Anyone else having problems tonight? I'm in the BC interior and we've having major signal issues tonight (no rain here either). Is there another storm at the uplink site?
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-27, 11:11 PM

I live in Toronto.

No storms here tonight.
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 07:56 AM

A very large storm rolled through the Okanogan last night & we had rain, hail & high winds. tv was out for a few minutes.
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 08:22 PM
Rookie

signal strength varies in the rain

Short of swapping the entire cable run, I'm at the end of my rope and looking for suggestions. I'm a DIY guy who does not like to ask *C for help ...

Here's my setup:
-DSR505
-200' cable, half of it is buried
-18db inline amp halfway along the cable run
-60E dish and matching lnb

The Problem:
-no/low signal strength when it rains

The Symptoms:
-channel 299 and 712 have ~8.0db s/n on sunny days
-on rainy days 0-4 db s/n (options 6-4-7)
-signal strength channel 299 78 sunny days (options 6-4-3-1)
-channel 712 signal strength up to 90
-started showing these symptoms since this past winter - no equipment changes before then

Over the past month or two, I've attempted these remedies:
-swapped inline amp (no change)
-swapped lnb (no change)
-removed inline amp (signal worsens)
-downloaded DSLook Angle Calculator to help visualize line of sight
-adjusted dish aiming with meter and with built-in diagnostic menus
-trimmed nearby branches (no change)
-removed waterproofing on all outdoor connectors, saw no water ingress and replaced afterwards

I am open to your suggestions.

Last edited by vincedeon; 2012-08-09 at 09:35 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 09:28 PM
Veteran

u will never eliminate rain fade problems.
But if ur having problems under mild / casual rainfall your system could be improved. Have you tried a larger antenna? What size dish u have now and what's ur location?

Somewhat related post in a diff thread related to rain fade.
http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost...6&postcount=35

edit: what brand inline amp? to be honest, Have never seen an inline amp work for satellite purposes.
Why is it placed halfway down the line, and not closer to the antenna?
when ya removed the amp temporarily, did you do any further dish alignment while disconnected?

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.