Shaw Direct Simsub discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 07:39 PM

Received a response from Shaw, and they said that the CRTC was requiring them to do this. I responded asking them to point out a recent CRTC decision changing this policy, since I had never had an eastern feed simsubbed before in almost 10 years of using their service. We e-mailed back and forth for a bit, including me saying the only reason they were doing this was because they wanted the extra ad revenue from Global and didn't want to upset CTV so they were doing it on CTV as well. I received a reply from a different person at Shaw after I made this accusation (I'm guessing the next level up of support), and here it is:

Quote:
The CRTC certainly regulates some of the simultaneous substitution. However the recent changes that you mention was a decision that we made as a company. We are always looking for ways to provide the most efficient service. When we were presented with the opportunity to supplement American feeds for Canadian we felt that it was a bold move. This change will not affect your programming in anyway. The change will only affect commercials. Now instead of watching commercials that do not apply in Canada we are able to share local news, weather and emergency updates that are more directed to your area.
"Bold move" indeed. I am curious why another person did not have this problem with the CBS east feed of the Big Bang Theory. Are the Shaw Direct DVR's immune from simsubs on recordings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 09:11 PM

I've been looking on the CRTC website for information about this, but I can't find any distance regulations on there regarding simsubs. Do these even exist?
post #48 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 09:32 PM

Yes yesterday I did Not have a simsub on the big bang theory. Nor have I had it on Any HD feed east or west yet.

post #49 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 09:33 PM

Where are you located? I'm in the BC interior, far away from any HD transmitters.
post #50 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 10:44 PM

Saskatchewan
post #51 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 11:09 PM
Veteran

HD simsubs will continue to only be applied to viewers in Ontario. However, when the new satellite become operational, look out.
post #52 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 11:25 PM

Well I'm in BC and did get a simsub on an HD channel, and Shaw Direct says it's their new policy. How do you explain that?
post #53 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 11:43 PM
Veteran

What was the specific simsub you saw? Program, date, time....

The email that a previous poster received says that Global HD will cover Toronto only.
post #54 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-07, 12:07 AM

Yesterday May 5.
Time: 5pm PST.
Channel CBS East 286.
Show: The Big Bang Theory

Feed was replaced with the CTV HD feed (I presume the Toronto one since that's the only CTV HD feed on Shaw Direct). CTV logo was in the bottom right corner of the screen, and the commercials had CTV promos.
post #55 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-07, 12:30 AM

The only law that I can remember offhand is that the simulcast signal must be of the same quality as the signal being substituted. There might be a distance requirement, but it's irrelevant for local cable operations.

There are no competing West HD feeds, and I don't think there will be any time soon.
post #56 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-07, 08:04 AM

Question Avoiding simsubs with Shaw Direct

Can you still avoid the simsubs by unplugging your Shaw Direct receiver at the start of the program and then plugging it back in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_substitution

Quote:
Simsubs and satellite

In terms of satellite, the practice of simsubbing depends on the company. Shaw Direct invokes simsubs according to the subscriber's postal code, and is implemented by the receiver's firmware; this method enforces simsubs only in areas where they are needed. Even in areas where they are enforced, some worked their way around this by unplugging their receiver at the start of the program and plugging it back in.

Bell TV invokes simsubs to all subscribers nationwide, implemented by its uplink centre; by doing so, simsubs for a particular channel are implemented nationwide, regardless of where the subscriber lives or which feed the subscriber watches. Bell TV has also simsubbed TSN feeds, even though legally they are not required to because it is a specialty service (however, Bell owns a minority share in the network through CTVglobemedia).

Last edited by PokerFace; 2011-05-07 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling ... then NOT than!
post #57 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-07, 10:13 AM

That works until the guide comes back up and the receiver knows where it is. Virtual channel override.
post #58 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-07, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

TJ77: Shaw Direct is placing Global HD all over Ontario.

Tuesday night, there were no simsub by CTV HD during NBC's "The Voice". But they may have changed this because CTV complained they weren't being treated the same as Global. I'll double check sometimes soon if CTV is being placed overtop of US nets as well, not to mention other Canadian networks.

But regardless, this still shouldn't be happening. The CRTC can't even answer a basic email I sent them about the requirements for simsubs and the fact that they should only be carried out within 75 km of the transmitter. It's been 4 days since I sent it to them. How slow do government agencies work these days anyways? Sheesh.
post #59 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-07, 01:14 PM
Veteran

Sorry, I meant to say Ontario, not Toronto.

Back in the days I had Bell, I filed several complaints about improperly performed simsubs. The CRTC usually took a week to respond. Bell did not respond to me within the required time, so I complained about and eventually got a nasty email back from Bell, which they requested that I not share with others. Basically they said that mistakes happen with simsubs, but to deal with it.
post #60 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-07, 08:04 PM
Rookie

well i landed on CBS friday night when flashpoint was on.....and it was replaced whit the CTV version...i"m in atlantic canada(N.S.)....im not impressed at all ....i find the picture quality bad on the canadian stations which i never watch them except for the odd CBC show

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.