Shaw Direct Simsub discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-05, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

I would never watch the Canadian network when wanting to watch an American show out of principle... Canadian networks are just leeches that have no input into the production or broadcast of the show.

You can record off the alternate feed, but being a watcher of plenty of live sporting events, there will be no choice for me to do that, as both east and west feeds will be simsubbed.

Maybe it's time to look into an over-the-air antenna to avoid these simscams... err, I mean simsubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-05, 11:03 PM

I'm in BC, and the Big Bang Theory tonight on CBS HD east (yes east) was simsubbed with a CTV feed. WTF?

I use a R5000 with SageTV to record shows, and this completely messed up the beginning of the recording.

I thought simsubs were ONLY for the same market?
post #33 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 12:09 AM

I just checked my recording of Big Bang off of CBSHD east and mine is fine thank god. Also the west HD feed is on now and its fine as well.

post #34 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 12:54 AM

I e-mailed them asking what was up, hopefully it was just a mistake.

This is the first time I've ever seen a simsub on an eastern feed (since I'm in the west), and also the first time I've seen a simsub on a HD channel.
post #35 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 01:18 AM

Wink Shaw's Shanked Redemption: When Customers Attack!

You guys are so stubborn. This is Canada. We do things differently here.

While you watch the Canadian stations, I want you to keep muttering the following prayer:

“Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

You can physically change the channel, but with simsubs you basically end up in the same place. You have the wisdom to know the difference between the Canadian feed and the US feed, but resistance is futile.

Don't you just love hearing: "Canada is watching CTV." I know I did. I used to get chills down my spine each time I heard that. I envy you guys.

You don't need the US stations! They will just pollute your mind!

If a show isn't sim-subbed, it's probably not worth watching. If you think it is, then wait for the DVD/Blu-ray. So what if the US version of Dancing with the Stars isn't on DVD ... you can still probably find a few clips online somewhere.

Send Tony Clement a tweet and let him know that you're mad as hell and don't want to be ignored! He'll tell you what he had for dinner and then turn on his DirectTV unit and watch those evil US stations to see what propaganda they are spewing.

You have no business watching US shows on US channels. The CRTC isn't in business to please you. It's in business to make the tough decisions that you are not capable of making. Once the two channels are combined into 1 sim-subbed Canadian station, then and only then, can you rest easy and not worry about making the wrong choice.

Global has just announced that The Simpsons will now be known as The Simsubs here in Canada.
post #36 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Lol @ PokerFace. I'm glad I was able to laugh at an otherwise very frustrating situation.
post #37 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 11:17 AM

simsubs

repeating myself but here goes:

When ever a channel is injected with the Canadian Network during simutaneous program broadcasting, we should be re-imbursed; we are paying for "X" number of channels therefore that number is now reduced;

I am paying to watch other networks and I wish to see all their programming which also includes newsbreaks, ads of future program offers, etc etc;we miss those when a channel is subbed; therefore re-imburse me when this takes place.

Food for thought

commish
post #38 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 02:29 PM

Response I got from Shaw Direct on Twitter regarding sim subbing:

"Hello, we certainly appreciate your feedback. Simultaneous substitution is a requirement of the Canadian Broadcasting System and we’re currently testing our capabilities to ensure we’re bringing our customers relevant local news, weather, and commercials"

How is a sim-sub of Global HD Toronto going to give me relevelant local news,weather and commercials when I live over 2 hours away from there??!!!
post #39 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 02:35 PM
Veteran

Shaw Direct has always used a technicality with simsubs for years. Technically those in London are subject to simsubs from Global because the channel 6 transmitter covers that city.

Shaw use to only use the originating transmitter as it's determination of whether or not you get a simsub. Of course now that their is a common ownership, they have closed that loophole; at least for Global anyway. I do think that those that are not within a grade b contour of a Global transmitter should not be subjected to simsubs. It appears that Shaw Direct is doing a blanket simsub over the entire province; even areas that are not served by Global. That should be stopped IMO
post #40 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 02:43 PM

Well if it ever gets real bad I will just keep "moving" so to speak to areas not affected if any.
post #41 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 02:54 PM
Rookie

Overriding CBS with CTV and Global

I've just recently noticed that Shaw in overlaying the US CBS channel with the same program that is either on Global or CTV. Is this duplication the result of wanting to impose Canadian commercials rather then the American?? When did this commence?

Thanks

Last edited by 57; 2011-05-06 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread, please read earlier posts, other simsub threads, and please search before posting.
post #42 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 03:08 PM
Veteran

It is called simsubbing and there are numerous threads about it.
post #43 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Simultaneous substitutions are a requirement, but there is no way all of Ontario should be seeing Global HD simsubs. Only the 75 km radius surrounding Toronto should, and that's my big issue - they just changed their ways because they bought out Global. I'm still awaiting to hear back from "Ask Jim" and Shaw in my follow up emails to them, not to mention the CRTC.
post #44 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 04:48 PM
Veteran

The CRTC is not going to care if your US feeds are simsubbed. As long as the local stations in each area is protected, they wont do anything to fix this.

You just have to live with Global simsubs from now on.
post #45 of 376 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Well, they told Bell back a few years ago they couldn't deviate from their simsubbing methodologies, so I'm hoping they tell Shaw they can't change things up now because they own Global.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.