Shaw Direct Simsub discussion - Page 26 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #376 of 396 (permalink) Old 2016-10-11, 03:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
I have therefore moved your post to the Shaw Direct simsub thread, since I believe you're with SD or had numerous posts with SD on the topic of Simsubs
I'm currently with Bell but did have Shaw at one point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-28, 02:35 PM

Sim-Sub Wacky DVR

Lately we have been having problems with sim-sub programs. We record west coast ABC's "The Chew" on our 630. CITY sim-subs it. The DVR will glitch and display a station information bar. After the glitch, the "skip" function does not work properly, but the fast forward is OK.

As a test, we watched AND recorded the east coast ABC "The Chew". Every so often, watching the live show, the screen will momentarily go black. Going to the DVR recorded show, the skip function work fine UNTIL the screen glitches at the same spot as the live section and displays the info bar and then the skip function doesn't work properly.

We tried the same test with a non-sim subbed channel. Everything works fine.

What is going on ????
post #378 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-28, 02:53 PM

This is what I think is going on. You probably have your settings for start recording early and end late. When you start watching you are watching the ABC feed. A minute or so into the recording the simsub starts. You cannot skip ahead past the simsub insertion point. I find that even if I FF the fast forward stops at the point the simsub starts. It has been like this for a while. I do find that you can skip ahead in the body of the program however.

I have noticed a couple instances where City is the simsub that screen will go black momentarily like the simsub has been interrupted. It has done this with DWTS of late. In fact it hiccuped a couple times, the info bar would appear but after a couple hiccups the progress bar seemed to stop advancing like it was a broken recording. Other then the brief hiccups the program played to the end. Perhaps there is something in the City feed that is causing this as I have not seen it on any other channel yet, but the fall season is just getting underway. You may be better off recording the City feed so that you don't experience any simsub headaches.
Leafs13 likes this.

LOSat

post #379 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-28, 03:15 PM

Thumbs down CITY Sim-Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONSat View Post
... Perhaps there is something in the City feed that is causing this as I have not seen it on any other channel yet, but the fall season is just getting underway. You may be better off recording the City feed so that you don't experience any simsub headaches.
Boy, am I glad to see your post LONSat! It is nice to know that other folks have seen this problem.
I don't have a start/end change, just regular recording from a timer.

We do not subscribe to CITY HD West Coast, but that is the SimSub channel recorded where we have selected ABC West. We thought about doing that, but CITY West is grayed-out.

We have the same problem when we watched DVR'ed East Coast CBS's "Scorpion" that sim-subbed to CITY. Watching NBC East HD DVR'ed "Law & Order: True Crime", it sim-subbed to Global Toronto AND the same problem...

We watched "Kelly and Ryan" on East ABC HD, which also comes on CTV at the same time. It did not sim-sub and there were no glitches.

I hope Shaw Direct is aware of the problem.
Leafs13 likes this.
post #380 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-28, 03:21 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Simsub issues have been reported on various provider forums for years. For this reason it's always best to record the Canadian Channel if the programme is going to be simsubbed. People have reported lost recordings, black screens, etc. if you don't do this.

I've moved these simsub discussions to this simsub thread.

Shaw Direct Simsub discussion

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #381 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-28, 03:40 PM

I Would If I Could

I don't understand why a sim-sub would cause hiccups live and worse with recordings. Isn't a sim-sub channel simply mapped to the US channel at certain time.
What in the datastream would be different?
post #382 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-28, 04:29 PM

Shaw Direct used to do simsubs very tightly to geographic areas where there was a transmitter. Hence in London ON we rarely saw a simsub. When Global was purchased by Shaw, Global was granted simsubs even if they did not have a local station/repeater. For some reason City also seems to have been granted increased simsubs even though nothing has really changed with regards to the Woodstock (ON) repeater. CTV does not seem to get simsubbed in London be it SD or HD. Not sure if Kitchener's CTV signal is considered local for London for simsub purposes.

I still think that when you start your program there is a moment when the ABC feed is being recorded before the simsub kicks in hence the no skipping. Or if the City signal is on a weak transponder perhaps it drops to the point that the Chew on ABC kicks in. Or there is something in the encoding of the City signal that is interfering with its time record and therefore interfering with the skip feature. I will see what happens next week on DWTS to see if I see the behaviour again.

Don't forget you could momentarily or for a short period of time you could defeat a simsub by unplugging the receiver and restarting it. Until enough of the guide data was loaded you got the original feed. This may have been true moreso for the pre 6xx series receivers.

For Shaw Direct
Global seems to get universal simsubs.
City gets universal or near universal simsubs
and CTV seems to get simsubs to the letter of the rules regarding OTA signal coverage.

Sounds like you don't subscribe to the Canadian timeshifting channels so you can't record City West directly. But being in Canada and with our bizarre simsub rules you get to see City West when it gets simsubbed. Aren't you lucky you get to see a channel occasionally for which you don't subscribe. Yeah simsubs are sometimes fun!

LOSat
post #383 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-28, 05:08 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralRouter View Post
I don't understand why a sim-sub would cause hiccups live and worse with recordings. Isn't a sim-sub channel simply mapped to the US channel at certain time.
When a channel is simsubbed there is often a minor drop in signal or similar issue that can cause the recording to "drop" or other hiccups as discussed in this thread. This doesn't happen when you watch/record the Canadian channel because there is no "switch" happening on that channel.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #384 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-28, 05:40 PM

There has been no DVR or Live problems as I described in the past. This strange behavior only started during the past week.
I hope this is not a Shaw Direct marketing ploy for subscription to HD channels to which I do not currently subscribe.
post #385 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-29, 01:09 AM

I've given up long ago at how badly Shaw implements subs. If I can plan correctly, I only record off the CDN channel airing the simulcast show. The thing that drove me nuts was that FF-RW gets buggered up if a sub isn't put in at exactly the correct moment, which is almost never.
post #386 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-29, 09:16 AM

So I have to subscribe the Canadian HD channels that I don't have now IN ADDITION to my East & West Coast US Networks
post #387 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-29, 12:28 PM

RR can't you just watch in SD, isn't it just a talkshow?
post #388 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-29, 04:50 PM

It isn't just talk shows, it is all live and recorded shows that are sim-subbed.
post #389 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-29, 07:33 PM

I try to record Survivor on Global but the PVR always sets the recording to CBS.
post #390 of 396 (permalink) Old 2017-09-29, 07:54 PM

I find this odd with the simsubs and the ones people are saying about Global simsubbing on everything. I've been with Shaw Direct for 6 months now and have never seen a simsub on any program, from Global, City or CTV. Just clear US feeds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.