Shaw Direct Simsub discussion - Page 22 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #316 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 11:43 PM

Just a note that Shaw Direct made a complete mess of the NFL MNF in Detroit on ABC Detroit yesterday.

They simsubbed it with some Bachelor in Paradise on City TV (and no, there is no City TV available OTA here). Just as well that TSN1,3,4,5 just happened to coincidentally be on free preview in HD.

It is derisory that these multi billion dollar companies cannot even have a process to employ 1 person in real time to cross check their own simsubs against their own TV guide. It is not rocket science.

Given the utter incompetence of BDU's to get it right simsubs should be abolished.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #317 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-12, 01:15 PM

I don't have any stations available OTA here and I still get sim-subbed. I tried to ask SD about it and they refused to lift the sim-sub. Can they do that? Is there a name that anyone can give me to help? I believe they are looking at eliminating sim-sub in the CRTC hearings but I don't know if it's been discussed yet.
post #318 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-12, 01:26 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Perhaps the following post from this thread, items 1, 4, will help.: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...07#post1386907

Basically, the 100km OTA "rule" has huge flexibility for the BDUs and since very few people are impacted, the BDUs have been allowed to simsub almost anything.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #319 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-12, 02:00 PM

Thanks 57. I am most definitely more than 100km away from a SD head-end. Do you think they would remove sim-sub in this case?
post #320 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-12, 02:04 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Not very likely, but you can try calling them again. SD doesn't have a head end, like cable does. SD have satellites and STBs that can respond to postal code "instructions" regarding programming for your location. As noted in this and other threads, BDUs seem to be simsubbing just about everything they can these days and the CRTC doesn't seem to mind, since this protects Canadian corporations.

This may change with the CRTC hearings, but any changes may not come into effect for years. There are several threads on those hearings.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #321 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-13, 09:23 PM
Veteran

I think their only subbing the east feeds correct? Setting up timers for the west feeds my be your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #322 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-15, 05:13 AM

For the record, the game last Monday was not an ABC event. WXYZ, the Detroit ABC affiliate, carried the ESPN broadcast. All MNF games must be carried on an OTA station in the market of each team playing. Simsubbing not an issue here.
post #323 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-15, 12:48 PM

With respect, how can obliterating a channel and simsubbing totally the wrong program over it not be a simsub issue?
post #324 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-17, 10:32 AM

Bachelor in Paradise was the program airing on ABC Monday night.
post #325 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-17, 02:04 PM

Not on ABC Detroit - as you have already stated.

It is very easy to see where Shaw Direct failed in simple oversight of their simsub, but it is still very much a simsub issue.
post #326 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-17, 06:37 PM

Please explain the failure. Shaw Direct is providing the US networks to their paying subscribers. If a network affiliate chooses to preempt the network programming for a local event such as the Detroit Lions game, is SD not obligated to provide the ABC network program? Separate from that question, SD could not allow the ESPN telecast with ESPN commercials to be shown when TSN has the rights to show the game here in Canada.
post #327 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-17, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by updateanchor View Post
Please explain the failure.
I believe that I already have. But if I am mistaken, I will be glad to learn something new from your further responses or from others.

Quote:
Shaw Direct is providing the US networks to their paying subscribers. If a network affiliate chooses to preempt the network programming for a local event such as the Detroit Lions game, is SD not obligated to provide the ABC network program?
1. The US feeds they are providing are for specific stations. The CRTC approve the carriage of specific stations on Canadian BDU's.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/satlist.htm
2. The local program is the one that Shaw Direct advertized on their program guide.
3. If SD are obligated to show a generic east coast feed please provide the reference for the obligation.
4. SD were providing the ABC network programming on the mandatory carriage OTA Canadian network, so no paying subscribers could possibly be missing out.
5. What is the ABC east generic feed and where can it be found?

Quote:
Separate from that question, SD could not allow the ESPN telecast with ESPN commercials to be shown when TSN has the rights to show the game here in Canada.
1. If a simsub were to be imposed then, it logically follows that, TSN 1/3/4/5 HD is what should have been competently simsubbed over ABC Detroit.
2. Eventually SD did show the NFL on ABC Detroit, and carried the raw feed from ABC Detroit without TSN commercials. It would seem that Canadian NFL commercial rights protection was therefore not the rationale.

I remain convinced it was simple incompetence, as per my original post.
post #328 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-17, 10:52 PM

I've seen this happen on Rogers, whereby the local NBC affiliate was showing some special programming, instead of regularly scheduled syndicated programming at 7:00 pm one evening, and it should not have been simsubbed, but it was. I wrote into the CRTC and Rogers admitted their mistake.
post #329 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-17, 11:09 PM
Veteran

Question

One of the problems regardless of the provider is COMPUTERS!! All this simosubs are set up by computers that pre programmed to simosub channels at given time.

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
post #330 of 396 (permalink) Old 2014-09-18, 12:48 PM

Yes, they are. And the worst is live events, including sports, that run over the allotted hour and then the Canadian channel gets placed overtop for the regularly scheduled US program, causing us viewers to miss the ending of the game!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.