Shaw Direct HDDSR 605 Owners Discussion Thread - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 08:14 PM
Veteran

Where in the specs did it say the 605 was EHD capable? The specs provided by Best Buy?

Anyway, the answer to your question is that EHD will probably be available, but your guess is as good as mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 04:50 AM
Veteran

Best buy specs

# Digital Video Recording Capable
Yes

Yuk! Yuk!
post #48 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-13, 11:05 AM

In post 35, SD 630 Support wrote in part:

Both #1 and #2 will set a recurring, program-based reminder. This means that when you're watching TV, each time an episode airs you will see the "!" sign appear in the top right-hand corner of the screen.

Because the system is now program-based (instead of time-based), recurring auto-tunes no longer make sense. A recurring auto-tune expects that you're using a VCR type device to record at a specific time

These are based on assumptions about viewer practice that are not correct.

For example, we want to watch Jeopardy every day on the Halifax channel. But we may not be sitting in front of the TV to see the 'reminder'. Suddenly we 'remember' that Jeopardy has not started, and we have now missed part of the program. Did not have this problem with the auto switch on our 505.

And it is not correct to assume that we want to use the timer to record on a VCR. We use the reminders to set up our viewing schedule.

To us , auto switch makes perfect sense. Some evenings there are several weekly recurring programs that we want to watch but they overlap. So we use time shifting to watch the programs in a specific order. Again, on the 505 this was easy. Now it is gone, and we have to do far more daily manual intervention.

Yes, some features of the 605 are nice, but in some ways it is a giant step backward.

John

post #49 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-13, 11:16 AM

found a bug in the 605 code

I have found a bug in the 605 that causes it to crash. Has anyone else found this one?

We have a custom favorites list called 'OURS'. It is quite large.

If I select the FAV to OURS, and hit GUIDE, I see our list.

Now I select FAV and set it to ALL Channels, hit Go Back (to save this setting), and now hit GUIDE again, the guide display contains overlapped characters and the 605 locks up and goes into auto reboot.

It looks like a memory management/memory overlap issue. I will call it in to tech support.

John
post #50 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-13, 01:01 PM
MSM

Yes, I've seen this problem (on a 630). You will notice that the bad display and reboot only occurs on the ALL channels list, not on the FAV. The scrambled display usually occurs when you scroll through the ALL list. Also, I have defined four or five (depends on whether NFL Sunday Ticket is on) active Favorites lists, and NEVER have had a problem switching between them - only when going back to the ALL list.

By the way, you can switch between lists while in the Guide by pushing the Options button, selecting the new list, and pushing the Return button. The Guide is repopulated (3 to 4 seconds delay) and displays the new list.

Last edited by MSM; 2011-01-13 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Add info on switching list technique.
post #51 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-13, 04:03 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
I have found a bug in the 605 that causes it to crash. Has anyone else found this one?

We have a custom favorites list called 'OURS'. It is quite large.

If I select the FAV to OURS, and hit GUIDE, I see our list.

Now I select FAV and set it to ALL Channels, hit Go Back (to save this setting), and now hit GUIDE again, the guide display contains overlapped characters and the 605 locks up and goes into auto reboot.

It looks like a memory management/memory overlap issue. I will call it in to tech support.

John
Yes, it happens all the time on my 630s.

It is just bad code that is not handling the guide data properly, the problem is who knows when it will be fixed...

The one good think is that it is easily repeatable so the coders have no reason not to be able to see it and resolve it.
post #52 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-16, 12:52 PM
Rookie

Question Guide problem on HDDSR 605

The guide on the receiver seems to have frozen. I can see all of the program data up until 7:00 PM on 24 Jan. 2011, but after that, it just shows NO DATA. Today is 16 Jan. and the guide is supposed to show to at least 29 Jan. I have done a front panel reset, and it didn't fix it. I disconnected the power and coax for 2 minutes and it didn't fix it. I called Shaw and the tech had me go into the diagnostics and reset the guide information, and this didn't fix it either. It took me some time to convince the tech that this was actually happening. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Since Shaw doesn't seem to be able to help me, does anyone have a fix? I first noticed this problem on 11 Jan. and it has been stuck on 24 Jan. since then.
post #53 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-16, 04:00 PM
Veteran

Everyone with the 600 series is having this issue. I would imagine it will be corrected by tomorrow when the real staff gets back to work.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #54 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-16, 04:31 PM
Rookie

Thanks for this info.
post #55 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-16, 09:07 PM
MSM

Correction ...

Re post # 50:

I have an error in the post I made in # 50. Yesterday, I noticed that the guide got corrupted after switching from one custom favorites list to another custom favorites list and scrolling through the entries. So, I was wrong to state that it only happens when switching back to the ALL channels list! Sorry.
post #56 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-30, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSM View Post
Both machines (605 or 630) draw the same power whether on or off. The 605 should draw less than the 630 since there's no hard drive to spin - but I expect the difference is negligible.

Good luck on getting measurements.
OK actual wattage measurements via Kill-a-watt meter for the 605 is 15 watts on and 15 watts off !

The activations people said the recovery time from no power to powered up should be 6 minutes or less.

This unit will be put on a timer for sure !

dns2
post #57 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 12:02 PM

Hi dns2,

If power is frequently being cut to the receiver, you may notice the following anomalies:
  • New Guide data is downloaded and processed each morning. If the unit is not connected, this will not occur until it is reconnected. Slower performance may be noticed while this is occurring.
  • Given the dependencies and logic built into the Guide backup, if the unit is frequently unplugged it will eventually stop backing up the Guide altogether. You will be reloading Guide from scratch each time the unit is plugged in.
  • As a result of the above, you'll have lots of missing program details. You'll be able to watch TV with 1 minute and access the Guide within ~6 minutes, but will probably have mostly "No Data" blocks until the Guide reloads.
  • The unit may lose authorization every few weeks, requiring a Refresh Signal to be sent to restore programming (this is because the receiver was not connected when updated keys were sent out)
post #58 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 12:48 PM

Wow thanks - didn't know that !

I will leave them plugged in after all.

dns2
post #59 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 01:01 PM

With the 505 I used the coax out from the receiver to distribute the same signal to other TV's in the house. With the 605 there is no coax out so what is the best solution to distribute to the other TV's.
post #60 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 01:51 PM

^^^
Easiest thing to do would be to just use an old VCR to take the composite video output of the 605 and convert to coax out. Just leave the VCR set to 'Line In' and your setup would work exactly the same as before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.