Shaw Direct HDDSR 605 Owners Discussion Thread - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 323 (permalink) Old 2010-12-24, 10:56 AM
Veteran

The Source will have the 605 on sale tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 323 (permalink) Old 2010-12-25, 05:17 AM

605 handshake problem ?

hi i just bought a Sony xe4 46'' hdtv set connected to a 605 trough HDMI
it seems to me that the 605 have an handshake problem with the tv set
as i must disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on the back of the receiver to get the image pass trough everytime i power on the tv
anyone else having this problem
post #33 of 323 (permalink) Old 2010-12-25, 08:17 PM

nevermind
problem fixed

post #34 of 323 (permalink) Old 2010-12-31, 06:47 PM
Rookie

Question 505 vs. 605

I bought the 605 before I found out that it does not have the auto tune set-up feature like my old 505. I am taking it back and getting the 630 instead even though it is more money. It has the PVR and the auto tune feature.
Why go from the 505 to 605 if you do not need a PVR and why did Motorola even build this unit, that is using such outdated technology? That is the question.

Last edited by retiredretired; 2010-12-31 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #35 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 05:55 PM

Hi retiredretired,

The 605 offers the following with respect to auto-tunes and reminders:
1) Set a reminder for new episodes
2) Set a reminder for all episodes
3) Set a reminder for this episode
4) Automatically tune to this airing.

Both #1 and #2 will set a recurring, program-based reminder. This means that when you're watching TV, each time an episode airs you will see the "!" sign appear in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Pressing ENTER will display the upcoming programs you've set reminders for and you can pick which channel you want to tune to. #3 does the same, but only once for the specified episode. Because it's now program-based (instead of time-based), you'll always get correct reminders. If the episode changes time, you'll be reminded at the new time. Or if it isn't new a particular week, you won't get any reminder at all. The 505 can't do this and is strictly time-based.

#4 will actually tune you to the program when it starts, which is useful for when you're recording it with an external device.

Because the system is now program-based (instead of time-based), recurring auto-tunes no longer make sense. A recurring auto-tune expects that you're using a VCR type device to record at a specific time (let's say 9:00pm on Tuesdays). However, the 605 is program-based meaning that rather than setting an auto-tune for 9:00pm on Tuesdays, you set an auto-tune for new episodes of "NCIS" (as an example). You've now got the 605 which is smart enough to know that NCIS sometimes gets bumped to a later time, or starts at 8:59pm, or isn't new at all some weeks. However, your VCR is still recording every Tuesday from 9-10pm. You end up with missed shows, incorrect recordings, etc.

By setting the auto-tune every two weeks, you always know when the show is airing and can adjust the VCR timers accordingly, ensuring you can record exactly what you want.

Other differences on the 505 versus 605 include smaller size, HDMI output, up to 14 days of Guide data (instead of 2.5), expanded programming information (NEW tags, etc), the ability to hide the titles of adult programs from your Guide, title search, and expanded Interests search. If your 505 is still meeting your needs, these features may not make much of a difference to you. As you mentioned, many of these mean a lot more when going from the 530 to the 630.
post #36 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredretired View Post
I am taking it back and getting the 630 instead even though it is more money. It has the PVR and the auto tune feature.
One more note for clarity - the auto-tune features on the 630 are the same as the 605. You have the following options:
1) Record new episodes
2) Record all episodes
3) Record this program
4) Automatically tune to this airing.
post #37 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-02, 01:01 PM

What is confusing is that you need to scroll down to get that auto-tune option. Poor placement in my opinion as it is one of the most used options (I think). Too bad the programmers could not make this sort on frequency of use.
post #38 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-06, 05:02 PM
Rookie

DSR605 and HMDI Switching Recivers

Can anyone tell me if the 605 works well through an HDMI switching receiver?

The older 505 (through a DVI to HDMI cable and into the HDMI Reciver) has trouble - HDCP errors etc... It worked fine if you connected it directly to the HDMI input on a TV, but it would not work if it first went into an HDMI input on a receiver (and then from the receiver to the TV).

Does the new 605 work well through receivers?
post #39 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-06, 05:38 PM

I have had no problem with my 605 and 630- through a Yamaha receiver and Sony HTB.

I think most hdmi issues have been resolved. "?" Fingers crossed!

Shaw Direct DVR630 / DVR 630/ 605, Panny VT55", Sony XBR4, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS3! WDLive
post #40 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 12:25 PM

Just hooked up a new 605 last night. I couldn't get quite a few channels (400, 528, 544, 341, any HD), so I was forwarded onto tech support.

They had me unplug the receiver (power and coax from dish), wait a minute, and plug the power in. Once it had rebooted, they had me connect the coax and all the channels were coming in fine. The TSR said to leave the receiver on a single channel for 4 hours, and to not touch any buttons on the remote so all of the guide data could download properly the first time. I did a brief check on the receiver this morning and everything seems to be working.

Some on the info the TSR had seemed a bit out of date. I mentioned that I had an older dual-stacked dish using a 2x4 multiswitch, and asked if that would cause missing channels. She looked up the manual for the 2x4 multiswitch and said that it only support receiver models 301 and 401 (2 receivers that we have never owned).

Just for future reference (in case I buy another new receiver), does Shaw Direct need to change some type of mode on new receivers so that they will work with the older dual-stacked LNB? If I had mentioned it when I first called to activate my DSR605, do you think things would have gone a bit smoother? I assumed this info would have been on my account.
post #41 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 12:40 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
Just for future reference (in case I buy another new receiver), does Shaw Direct need to change some type of mode on new receivers so that they will work with the older dual-stacked LNB? If I had mentioned it when I first called to activate my DSR605, do you think things would have gone a bit smoother? I assumed this info would have been on my account.
Yes, tell them to chaage the v-code. It probably would have been a lot easier if you had said this from the start.
post #42 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 12:53 PM

I didn't know the terminology was "v-code", thank you

Do the regular activation CSR's know how to do that? Or is it something that I would need to be forwarded to tech support for?
post #43 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 01:10 PM
QCK

If the CSR does not know what you just asked them then it would be best to ask for tech support or their supervisor IMO, probably save some time.
post #44 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-09, 09:16 AM
Veteran

V-code is a code which defines what channel map you get, as well as the transponder RF map.

If you have an established account with that dish, the proper V-code should automatically be set to the receiver whem it was activated on that account.
If the dish is different than the dish on the accountn, then it may need a different V-code sent to it.
post #45 of 323 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 07:57 PM
Rookie

purchased the 605 from best buy
on sale with tv purchase

read the specs and it mentions that you do have the option to record
with an external hard drive with an esatta connection

tried this with no luck

called up shaw
clueless wonders there went on and on that the 605 was not capable
of any recordings

finally had someone look into what I was reading
turns out that the software for the pvr option on the 605 is still in the works
goes on to tell me not sure if and when

can anyone shed some light here on this software?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.