Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 05:55 PM

Activated last night. Forced firmware. Did tons of recording and watching. Finally got it to reboot after using the Ch Up to channel surf as a test. Reboot was surprisingly quick but as others have reported, guide data is all gone. But the guide loaded fully pretty quickly (less than 15 minutes).

Go HABS Go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 08:51 PM

Options problem,,

Like at said before, I can't get the option on my ShawDirect remote and even on my Harmony. Everything was ok yesterday but since this morning it doesn't worked. When I clic on it nothing happend. It's like the remote lost the signal. I try a reset but it's still the same.

thank,
post #63 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 09:38 PM

I have been frequently getting a horizontal flickering across the top of the screen. It is only about 1 cm in width, but extends the whole length of the screen. It looks sort of like your watching a vcr tape that was recorded on a different vcr and needs to the tracking adjusted. It can be quite distracting.

It happens on both live tv and recorded tv. If I do a soft reset, it goes away, but it often returns the next day or even sooner.

Is this a known glitch in the software or do a have a lemon receiver? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

post #64 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 10:00 PM

Had an odd problem crop up today. Was watching the Packers on RSNHD (East, I think). Decided to try FoxHD East (better sound) but no picture when I switched, just a black screen. Flipped back to RSNHD and no problem. Changed up one channel to RSNHD Toronto, no picture. Started checking and found that roughly every other channel was blank (no picture, no sound), including both HD and SD channels. Did a soft reset and all was good again. Anyone else experience this sort of problem?
post #65 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 10:00 PM

Options problem,,

I got it, it was my remote who need a reset.

Thank,,
post #66 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogie View Post
Had an odd problem crop up today. Was watching the Packers on RSNHD (East, I think). Decided to try FoxHD East (better sound) but no picture when I switched, just a black screen. Flipped back to RSNHD and no problem. Changed up one channel to RSNHD Toronto, no picture. Started checking and found that roughly every other channel was blank (no picture, no sound), including both HD and SD channels. Did a soft reset and all was good again. Anyone else experience this sort of problem?
Yes, from my post in the owners forum from yesterday:

48 hours in, I had a few problems last night.
Ours is hooked up via HDMI straight to the tv and optical to the receiver.
When I turned it on around 6:00pm mountain time, most of my sd CBC and CTV (ch 300-321) channels were showing as blacked out. Some blacked out ones displayed the "not subscribed" message. We have the "Digital Favourites" package, so they should have shown. A front panel reset fixed the problem.

Then, at 8:45 pm, I paused HGTV (ch. 564) and the screen went black again, except for the timeline bar. When I tried to resume, I just got the black screen. Skip forward/back did nothing. If I changed channels, the new channel came in and I could go back to 564 live. I tried this a few times, always with the same result. Again, a front panel reset fixed the problem.

Having been a "beta tester" for the 530 since July, 2005, I'm not prepared to go through this all over again. I'm still in possession of my 530 and will return the 630 if it continues to act up.

Sony KDL-52XBR4,SD DVR530/630,Tosh HD-A2 HD-A30, Pana DMP-BD65, Pio VSX-1015,Energy C3,CC100,ESM-4,S8.2, Engenius WAP
post #67 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 02:57 AM
Veteran

From post number 20 by SD support.....
I've been playing back shows all morning trying to reproduce this. Each time (from each of the 3 sort modes), the program is still highlighted when the recording ends and it returns to the PVR List. The only exception is when you start with the "Grouped by Program" mode, it will return with that programming grouping highlighted rather than the individual episode. Additionally, if new recordings have started while you're watching another one, it will be off by that number of recordings.........

This is absolutely ridiculous programming code. This is dangerous. You have to remember which date of news/program you are watching in order to delete. The machine should remember which program was being watched not which was the number of the program in the list(now changed by additional recordings). That wasn't acceptable from a programmer over 30 years ago!
Not coming back to the program you were watching for any reason is completely unacceptable. Come on guys..learn how to write code!
post #68 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 09:15 AM

Problem reported by user in this thread which I also experienced:
Using FF in a recorded episode, especially at fast speeds, can't keep up with what you see on screen.

Workaround (pretty cool):
from the guide, page 35:

If you want to jump to a specific point in the recording, Absolute Jump allows you to do just that. Use the number keys to enter the point you want to jump to, and then press PLAY to move to that location. For example, pressing 4, 5, PLAY will move you to 45:00 in the program!

Go HABS Go!
post #69 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 12:17 PM

My machine failed to record a show last night. It was set to record ch 286 at 6:00 pm mountain, then 291 at 9:00 pm. My wife watched the first recording, starting it around 9:00 pm. I came out around 10:30 and noticed the REC1 light was on, but knew there was no show scheduled to record at that time. I checked the list to see what was giong on and there was a blank yellow bar between the 2 shows that were on the list from before, and no Simpsons, which should have been there from 9 pm. I tried a number of things: play the blank bar, nothing, power on and off, nothing. Still no show and no way to get rid of the REC1 light. I finally did another front panel reset and the REC1 light went out.

Not a good sign, lots of resets and now missed recordings.

Sony KDL-52XBR4,SD DVR530/630,Tosh HD-A2 HD-A30, Pana DMP-BD65, Pio VSX-1015,Energy C3,CC100,ESM-4,S8.2, Engenius WAP
post #70 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 12:42 PM
QCK

+1 ^^^ I have had the same problems. Missing records and also a recorded show is there in the listing but unable to watch. The rec1 light gets stuck on and the only way to fix that is a soft or hard reboot.
post #71 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 01:36 PM

I ordered the 'NFL Sunday Ticket/NHL Centre Ice' package. Watching football yesterday 3 of my 4 HD channels were greyed out, but worked. Not a big deal, but strange (FWIW I LOVE the new HD 'RedZone' Channel!).

Like others I too am getting a loud 'pop' when changing channels - really noticed it yesteday flipping between games. I have optical & HDMI between receivers which run out to a projector.
post #72 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post
Problem reported by user in this thread which I also experienced:
Using FF in a recorded episode, especially at fast speeds, can't keep up with what you see on screen.

Workaround (pretty cool):
from the guide, page 35:

If you want to jump to a specific point in the recording, Absolute Jump allows you to do just that. Use the number keys to enter the point you want to jump to, and then press PLAY to move to that location. For example, pressing 4, 5, PLAY will move you to 45:00 in the program!
This is OK if you know where you want to skip to. You can also use xx minutes skip forward. But if you want to be able to see what is happening, you would have to skip forward in small segments. This defeats the purpose of having a very fast forward function. An example of this is when the men's final of the US tennis open was rained out yesterday, they showed football for about an hour, then switched to tennis commentators and then to a semi final replay.
post #73 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
2. In the upcoming recordings, I have an entry called Manual Recording 0. When I select it, the detail shows Manual Recording 10429 and the Channel is 0 with a detail of -. When I press enter, it shows the menu with Do not record this episode and when I press it, the item is deleted from the list. When I exit and go back, there it is back again.
Hi osmosis,

That's definitely a quirk of the system. It doesn't affect anything and we're working on getting rid of it. Don't worry about trying to delete it.

Quote:
3. Survivor is scheduled to record 3 times in one night on Wed 22, First: 5:00PM CBSEHD, Second: 5:00PM GBL HD and Third: 8:00PM CBSWHD.
This is normal. Notice that the episode airing on Wed 15 has an episode title, while the one on the 22nd doesn't. Some broadcasters don't send information a full 2 weeks out for certain programs. You'll see this often on certain sports events (where it lists "Teams TBA" 2 weeks out rather than the actual names) and daily Soap Operas.

Once the broadcaster provides updated information, the PVR will adjust automatically and only record the episode a single time. Don't worry about trying to cancel any of the airings on the 22nd.

As mentioned previously, if you find a program that never has correct information, setting it to record "All episodes" on a single channel only is usually the best workaround. Also, let us know so we can pass on the information and try to get it resolved.
post #74 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post
Hi osmosis,

That's definitely a quirk of the system. It doesn't affect anything and we're working on getting rid of it. Don't worry about trying to delete it.

This is normal. Notice that the episode airing on Wed 15 has an episode title, while the one on the 22nd doesn't. Some broadcasters don't send information a full 2 weeks out for certain programs. You'll see this often on certain sports events (where it lists "Teams TBA" 2 weeks out rather than the actual names) and daily Soap Operas.

Once the broadcaster provides updated information, the PVR will adjust automatically and only record the episode a single time. Don't worry about trying to cancel any of the airings on the 22nd.

As mentioned previously, if you find a program that never has correct information, setting it to record "All episodes" on a single channel only is usually the best workaround. Also, let us know so we can pass on the information and try to get it resolved.
Thanks SD Support - good to know - I am having the same problem.
How about the 'pop' on the speakers when changing channels some have reported? It wasn't doing that with my 530 before I replaced it with my 630 - exact same setup.
post #75 of 1252 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup View Post
The 530 would allow 90 minutes in the buffer....well the 630 will hold a show in the buffer until the next show starts...then it seems to erase it.
Hi Tup,

The 630 is actually unique in that it doesn't have a fixed x minute buffer like the other PVRs.

The HDPVR 630 will retain the current and previous program, regardless of length.

This assumes that you've sat on the same channel for the duration of the current and previous program in order to have it available in the LOD buffer. This also assumes available space on your hard drive. Additionally, if you leave it paused on a program long enough, the "intermediate" programs will be deleted and the "current" (live) program will remain available. For example:
The Simpsons (6:00-6:30pm)
Family Guy (6:30-7:00pm)
Wipeout (7:00-8:00pm)

You pause at 6:25pm and come back at 7:45pm. When you press PLAY, the remainder of The Simpsons will be available. At the end of The Simpsons, it will transition to the start of Wipeout.

Note that the currently airing program can always be copied to the PVR List as a permanent recording by pressing REC and confirming the recording.

As always, its important to remember that LOD is a "volatile" recording - accidentally changing channels or other recordings starting can remove the LOD recording. If you're worried about accidentally losing something, just hit REC and make it a permanent recording. You can always delete it later!

Hope this helps - if you're still noticing issues, let us know the specifics and we'll do our best to assist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.