Shaw Direct Satellite Installation Discussions - See Post 1 - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-17, 09:13 PM

i'm not familliar with the old generation receivers however every fta receiver i've ever owned also gives a signal and a quality reading, your quality is how well you are locked on the bird and the signal is the strength between the receiver and the lnb, with a low signal i would guess you had poor coax or the wrong type, or bad connectors or a very long run.

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-17, 11:49 PM
Rookie

I still wish I knew where 0 skew was on the dish. That would help me alot. Would the lnb be at the top for 0 skew?
Thx again
post #78 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-18, 01:59 AM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheRipper View Post
I still wish I knew where 0 skew was on the dish. That would help me alot. Would the lnb be at the top for 0 skew?
Thx again
Yes, when the LNBF is straight up and down it is in the zero position.

post #79 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-18, 01:51 PM
Rookie

So if I were to set the lnb to 25 degrees, looking at the dish would I turn the LNB roughly 1/4 turn clockwise?
Thx again
post #80 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-18, 02:45 PM

More or less, yes. The settings I'm looking at indicate ~3:30 for "Hands of a clock position", which would be ~1/4 turn clockwise.

Again though, any readings in OPTIONS 6-4 on a Legacy receiver are invalid and don't mean anything in the Shaw Direct world. You must measure signal from OPTIONS 6-3-1.
post #81 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 12:33 AM
Rookie

Thx everyone for the help. At least I know where to start.
post #82 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 02:21 PM
Rookie

How to know if I have the both satellites HDPVR 630

I am self installing a new system. I had a very old system and have upgraded with a new dish (75cm) and dual LNB.

I got authorized OK.
I have got the download to the new firmware.
However it appears that I am only receiving the Anik F1 signal
When I go to 299 now and check the tune satellite I see that one the T1 is 95, in the green.
But the T2 (which I assume means F2 satellite) is at zero and this is the Channell 299.

Any tips would be appreciated, everything else seems good, it's just that virtually everyother channel is missing.
post #83 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 04:27 PM

you are 4 degrees out. You lined up the dish so that you see 103.5 and 107.3 degrees instead of 107.3 and 111.1 degress.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #84 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 05:01 PM
Veteran

T2 is NOT the 2nd satellite (F2)... It is the 2nd tuner. As you surf through the channels and check Options-4-7 you will see that the channels alternate between the two tuners. T1, T2, T1, T2 ... etc.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #85 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-20, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post
Any tips would be appreciated, everything else seems good, it's just that virtually every other channel is missing.
Do you actually have two lines run from the LNB to the DVR? Sounds like you've only got one.
post #86 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-21, 01:03 PM
Rookie

Hi - new member. I just read this thread and learned a number of things, but I still can't find what I am looking for:

I have a legacy receiver at my cottage with an oval SC dish. Worked fine last season. Got to the lake this year and the weather had spun the dish around the pole that it's mounted on. No problem, I rotated it back and immediately got decent signal. Since the weather was crappy, I just locked it down and left it. Over that weekend, we were able to watch tv on some channels - 400 TSN for example, but the CBC stations would come in, then black out for a few seconds, then come back in.

I realize there are 2 satellites, and I assume that its a signal issue on one of them.

When I go to "tune in satellite signal" from 299 I get numbers ranging from 69-77. From 345 I get 71-79. The weather is far better this weekend.

BOTH of those channels show "A4" as the satellite - that's the first thing that is confusing to me.

The other confusing thing is - how do I improve them both? Do I start with 299, get it as high as possible then fine tune the other sat with the skew?

Also, from the Shaw site I get skew of 116 for A and 119 for B - which one do I use???

Thanks in advance for reading this and any help you can offer.

Cheers

Gregg - Eels Lake Ontario - near Apsley
post #87 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-21, 05:06 PM

if your pole is level just set the skew and forget about it. here's the settings for Eels lake ontario.
Elevation: 29.8░
Azimuth (true): 220.5░
Azimuth (magn.): 232.3░
Dish Skew [?]: 114.0░

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #88 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinger44 View Post
When I go to "tune in satellite signal" from 299 I get numbers ranging from 69-77. From 345 I get 71-79. The weather is far better this weekend.
Sounds like you're on the right track. Tweak the azimuth, elevation, and skew to maximize the signal on 299.

Quote:
BOTH of those channels show "A4" as the satellite - that's the first thing that is confusing to me.
That's normal. The "satellite" value doesn't change based on which satellite you're tuned to, it's actually an indicator of the channel map loaded on the receiver.

Quote:
The other confusing thing is - how do I improve them both? Do I start with 299, get it as high as possible then fine tune the other sat with the skew?
Exactly. Start with 299 and maximize it. Then go to a station on the F2 satellite (such as APTN, found on either 350 (classic lineup) or 70 (advanced lineup)). You should be able to bring in a strong signal here too with minimal tweaks to skew. Tighten everything up when you're happy with the signal and you should be good to go!

Quote:
Also, from the Shaw site I get skew of 116 for A and 119 for B - which one do I use???
For dual satellite installation (e.g. elliptical dish), use the SAT B settings.
post #89 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 06:11 PM

Spectrum Analyzer

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect one of these to tune for Shaw. I have one right now, but there is only one output, Do I just connect the cable from the output to one of the LNB outputs, and a second from the LNB to the receiver?
post #90 of 719 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 06:49 PM
Veteran

Hi Danny,
Yes I have used them in the past to tune up a BUD install at a friends house.
It wasn't really necessary, we were really just playing.
At the time all we had available was a conventional Spectrum Analyser that ya'd use in a lab. i.e. not portable or specifically designed with satellite in mind. I think what we did back then was, used a conventional DC passive Splitter to sample the IF output from the LNB. Then we made a homemade, minimal loss pad (50->75 ohms) inside a small project box, along with a cap in line to decouple the DC & prevent DC from getting to the Spec An. Input.
Was crude but it worked, and got the job done. Was probably 20 years ago, ughh

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

Tags
burlington , cogeco , halton , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.