Shaw Direct Satellite Installation Discussions - See Post 1 - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-04-24, 11:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
pointed to 196 degrees with an elevation of roughly 32 (according to markings on the back of the dish)
Are those markings for that location? A location change of just 50 miles can make a difference. Also, what about skew? Direction, elevation and skew must all be correct for the exact location. The mast must also be perfectly vertical. Use a level to check it.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-04-24, 11:48 AM

not leveling the mast then expecting the given degrees,elev, and scew to work is the most common "average joe" mistake.
2nd is using splitters. in my experience
and although LEVEL THE MAST can be written in a help thread 5 times it's usually overlooked.
post #63 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-04-24, 01:41 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Installer View Post
not leveling the mast then expecting the given degrees,elev, and scew to work is the most common "average joe" mistake.
2nd is using splitters. in my experience
and although LEVEL THE MAST can be written in a help thread 5 times it's usually overlooked.
After checking the mast for plumb in both vertical planes and mounting the Dish, he shoud set it to the angles in the manual, or via Dishpointer.

As his install is on the roof he should consider (if he's spry or daring enough) bringing the reciever and a small TV up there to tweak the dish. It's unreasonable to expect it to hit the birds 100% based on the install numbers. I'd expect it would take him half an hour to "dial in" the dish. If he doesn't want to do haul stuff onto the roof, then get a second person and use a phone (or walkie talkies) to advise how the signal strength is changing.

I remember crunching the numbers a while ago and a one degree miss in set-up (whether caused by Vertical, Skew, etc., ) means you miss (don't hit) the Birds by over 650 Kms. Even final torqing of the bolts cause changes in the Quality numbers.

Even though it's a simple process to go through, dialing in the Dish is not wham bam => thank-you mam!

Regards,
Jim

post #64 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-04-24, 04:26 PM

do i really have to put in writing that he must still pan the dish and do some searching after leveling it?
post #65 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-04-24, 05:04 PM
QCK

^^^ It looks that way for some people...
post #66 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-04-24, 06:01 PM
Rookie

Thumbs down

I didn't mean any disrespect to the previous posts, but this is not a signal searching issue, it has to be technical. I am experienced in finding satellite signals, just never with star choice. The mast is level, and I have scanned the sky (slight pauses after every slight adjustment) 60 degrees in either direction of where Other local star choice dishes are pointed many times as I adjusted the elevation slightlyboth up and down from my max signal strength. I have been doing this all outside with the receiver and a 20" tv right beside me. I took the receiver to a friend's house whose new receiver was showing a signal of 76%. plugging his coax into my receiver I only get 50%. Probably gonna suck it up and buy a new one, but I would still like to determine the problem.
post #67 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-04-24, 06:50 PM
Veteran

Maybe you could try aligning your dish with the friend's receiver?

Quote:
60 degrees in either direction
Totally unnecessary. A compass alignment should be within 10 degrees. If a compass isn't available, look for a nearby dish as a direction guide. I find that marking the dish sleeve and pole before adjustment helps to keep a bearing on what directions have been tried and how far the dish has been shifted.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #68 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-04-24, 07:41 PM

That is strange if you guys had each receiver on the same channel/transponder. if not then that MAY not have proved anything.
Is the conector where the coax screws onto the receiver loose? pop the top off and take a quick peek there, have a quick sniff while the top is off to see if you can smell anything burnt...
and I agree with scary bob if you have a freind with a known working receiver the smartest thing to do at this stage is alaighn your dish with his receiver pop yours in place and go from there.
post #69 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-04-25, 03:53 AM

I agree the Reciever seems suspect. I too would borrow your friends good box and get your dish set up with his just to make certain the location is good to go. Or just buy yourself a new Reciever and go from there.

If you were closer I'd sell you my DSR505 as it has less than2 hours on it since new. (I only used it for set-up on the Cabin install and it worked great. We just bought a DVR630.)

Regards,
Jim
post #70 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-04-25, 08:23 AM
Veteran

A bad LNB or coax is another possibility.

post #71 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-05-16, 11:56 PM
Rookie

New To Starchoice Alignment

Hi guys
Hope you can help me out
I am trying to set up a single dish for a SD reciever on Anik f1. My signal is 40 but the quality is 80. The dish I think is aimed properly but I am not sure about the adjustments on the lnb itself. It seems I can adjust the focal and the LNB also twists and I asume that would be the skew. How much of a twist or skew for Windsor Ontario. And what about the in and out or focal point?
I have a cheap meter that I use for bev but I cant get it to work properly for this dish. It keeps beeping at one of the other sats just to the west. I believe Direct tv?
Hope you can help thx in advance
Ron
post #72 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-05-17, 06:21 AM

that linear lnb isn't picking up dtv.
you should be able to see fade marks on the lnb to let you know the focal point. and yes you need to skew the lnb itself. check dishpointer.com for your settings, don't forget to enter your location. what receiver are you using? and is your signal metre unhooked when your seing the 50% signal?
if your using this for shaw I'd suggest it's time to upgrade your dish...lol

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #73 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-05-17, 10:17 AM
Rookie

Thx for the reply
No the lnb wasnt picking up DTV my meter was. Couldnt zero in on Starchoice with the meter because it kept beeping at the DTV sat.
And yes those readings I mentioned was with the meter unhooked. Do you have a pic of one of these old dishes just so I can get my head around it? Where would 0 degrees be on the skew? If I knew where 0 was I could go from there. The web site you gave me said the skew is 25 degrees in my area.
The trouble is this lnb looks nothing like the others I've dealt with.
Thx in advance
post #74 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-05-17, 11:56 AM

Hi RonTheRipper,

Regardless of what LNB you're using (as long as it is a Star Choice/Shaw Direct LNB), you need to be in the "right" menu and on the "right" channel on the receiver or else it's not actually providing a real signal reading.

I say this because once it is, with a SD receiver you can get picture with a signal of around 30. (However would still want to max it out after this).

If you have a really old receiver with the full-screen grey menus, make sure you're getting the signal from OPTIONS 6-3-1. Before this, tune to channel 299 (if you can't get to 299, make sure you go to 284).

If you have a mid-generation receiver with the picture-in-guide window (pictured below), get the signal from OPTIONS 6-4-3-1. Before this, tune to channel 299.

This will tell you what the signal actually is and should help narrow down whether you're on the right track or not. I'm guessing you're using a round dish (not the elliptical football-shaped one). What does the LNB look like? Is it a cylinder or more of an L-shaped thing? Are there one or two ports?
post #75 of 710 (permalink) Old 2011-05-17, 12:40 PM
Rookie

Thx for reply
I am getting a picture I just cant get the signal past 40 but yet the quality is at 75. Yes its a round dish. The lnb is a 2 part. I guess you would say its L-shaped it this slides through a hole on a bracket mounted on the dish arm. There is only 1 port. Its a very old reciever. The web site tells me to skew at 25 but I'm not even sure where 0 is.
Thx again

Last edited by RonTheRipper; 2011-05-17 at 01:04 PM.

Tags
burlington , cogeco , halton , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.