Shaw Direct Satellite Installation Discussions - See Post 1 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 03:07 PM

Checked out Eagle Aspen website.

http://www.eagleaspen.com/products/products_1.php?id=16

Their linear LNBF's do not look anything like that. I'm 99% sure that you have a circular LNBF and no amount of messing around with it will make it work. There are no modifications to change a circular to linear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 03:13 PM

Ah-hmmmm.....the plot thickens......

This is the type of LNB that can used for DirecTV, DishNetwork, Bell, and other "circular polarity" applications. Shaw requires a "linear polarity" LNB, if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully someone more tech-savvy than I can confirm this.....

Does your dish have the Shaw logo on it ?! If so, it appears that you may have some kind of cob-job setup here. This could explain why your dish is pointed in a direction other than that needed for Shaw....it likely was used for some other satellite service.

Whatever the case, the LNB in the photo can receive signals from only one satellite. The 2 outputs allow you to connect 2 receivers, but each receiver will get signals from the same satellite. The standard quad Shaw LNB has two white circular "eyes" that partially overlap. Each "eye" receives one satellite, and the firmware in the receiver takes care of switching from one satellite to the other as you change channels.

Check out the standard Shaw setup in the lower left of the top photo at this link:

http://www.global-cm.net/SC75Eassembly.htm
post #18 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

ohh..so I probably just have to wait till they send someone here than...

post #19 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 03:54 PM
Veteran

That was my first thought. Pointing in the wrong direction meant some type of set up other than Shaw Direct. Unpaid bill is another hint!
post #20 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

hmm looks like my photo of the dish isn't showing...anyways it does have star choice branded on it...maybe i should let them know that i have a circular lnbf on my dish so they could send someone sooner
post #21 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 04:43 PM

Looking at the link of the SC dish setup posted by joshuals it makes more sense. I didn't think that you could fit a standard rectangular "bell style" LNBF on a SC dish. I see now that the larger SC LNBF has a little plastic rectangle to fit on the arm - so mechanically interchangable - electrically, not.

You will need that installer to fly up or you need to find a SC LNBF. I wouldn't tell them about the linear/circular issue, the CSR's can get a little cranky if you know more than they do. You need to release the information to them gradually until they make the decision you want them to. Start by playing dumb and say that your LNB doesn't look like the one in the manual, and someone told you it looks like a Bell LNB.
post #22 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

i told them that it didn't look like the one in the manuel...she said that they made all different kind of lnbf's before and that if its hooked up to the sc dish it should work....then she started saying that the dish itself is probably broken..it doesn't look like it...anyways the're gonna send me a new dish by mail and said it might take up to 7 or 10 days oh and she said that on dishpointer dot com that they use the starchoice satellite that is 4 up from the bottom of the list...never noticed that before.

its still the same info as anik 2 tho
post #23 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 06:39 PM

Quote:
she said that they made all different kind of lnbf's before
They did....but to my knowledge, they never had one that even vaguely resembled the one in your photo.

It is possible to use a linear LNB with Shaw that is pretty much identical in appearance to the one you show in your photo. But again, it will only receive one satellite. At one time I had such a set-up at my winter home in the US because I was only interested in French programming, and that all comes from F2. The advantage was that replacement LNB's of that kind were readily available in the US, whereas the standard Shaw LNB is available only in Canada and only from Shaw.

Sounds like you're on the right track to get a new dish/LNB from Shaw....once it arrives there are enough folks on this forum who can walk you through getting it pointed in the event you run into trouble.....
post #24 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 03:17 AM

You certainly need a new QUAD LNB at minimum, a whole new setup would be best though.

The other reason the LNB won't work, aside from the circular polarization vs liner issues are the frequencies.

The circular run at the mentioned 12.2 -12.7 GHz.
A SD linear operates below that in the 11.7-12.2Ghz band.

Your pretty much hooped on both counts then.

In addition, running the lnb, while it does mount on the dish, upsets the focal point by about 2 or 3 degrees.

A SD LNB for that arm uses either a bracket with a ring that chokes the neck of the LNB or has a molded base that aligns everything properly.

I have used the 24 & 33" oval SD dishes with the same DTV32 LNB's for 'other' services very nicely once I compensate for the slight elevation errors.
I find the larger gain in marginal conditions much better than the normal 18" pizza pans.
post #25 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 08:03 AM

Quote:
You certainly need a new QUAD LNB at minimum,
It does appear from the photo that this is a 75e, doesn't it? Therefore, if you decide to go with just replacing the LNB, make sure you get one that is matched with the 75e, and not one that is for the 60e.
post #26 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-10-25, 10:36 PM
Rookie

Arrow satellite tv finder alignment tool software

Hello,

Not sure if this is the place to ask but it is the provider I am with.

Does anyone know of any software version of a finder alignment tool? Something that you could hook up to your laptop and to your dish that would notify you when you are directed at a satellite and which satellite it is? Maybe even tell you your current elevation and such.

I'm curious because I live out in the boonies and for me to get a hand held finder alignment tool would take me a few tanks of gas to get one. It would be easier for me to get a software version.

Respects,

Lhlalyam
post #27 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 01:03 PM
JCM

There is an ap for the I phone that superimposes the sat arc and which sats are visable. It uses the built in camera.
post #28 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 01:20 PM
Rookie

Thank you JCM,

I've seen that one on the Internet. Unfortunately, I do not have an Iphone.

I did find one while doing some research. This one has some pretty good instructions and details. It allows you to use the sun and daylight hours to assist in setting up your dish.
Link: http://www.al-soft.com/saa/satinfo.shtml

I'm hoping to find satellite finder software that creates an audible sound as the dish is pointed closer toward a satellite. Also, it would be good if the same software could tell you what satellite you are pointed too. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

Respects,

Lhlalyam
post #29 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 07:28 PM

Improve alignment on Anik F2?

I'm getting a weak signal on most of my HD channels, while the signal remains strong on the SD channels. I'm guessing that means the alignment is a bit off on Anik F2? Is there a way to adjust alignment independently for the F2 satellite, or is it fixed relative to F1?

I installed my own dish years ago, and it wasn't too difficult to get the angles right with just one satellite to worry about. But when I upgraded to HD, *C sent an installer to put the new dual-satellite head on the end of the arm, and I don't know if any additional alignment steps were necessary. Where would I find the proper procedure? Is it more difficult to get both aligned correctly?

I realize that signal strength reduction can also be due to something slightly blocking one satellite, but I've sighted from the dish along the proper azimuth and elevation angles, and considering that the satellites are only supposed to be a 4 degrees apart, it doesn't look like blocking could be the problem. Which satellite is further west?
post #30 of 701 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Which satellite is further west?
Anik F2 is further west at longitude 111.1. Anik F1R is located at 107.3.

Quote:
Is there a way to adjust alignment independently for the F2 satellite, or is it fixed relative to F1?
Quote:
Is it more difficult to get both aligned correctly?
The arm that holds the LNB should be "looking at" Anik F2, also known as "Sat B" (see markings on the LNB). You should use a website such as Dishpointer.com (see tab on this forum) to determine the azimuth, elevation, and skew for your location. There are other sources of this information, such as Global Communications Website, but in any case, the data that you use should be for Anik F2. When your dish is correctly pointed at Anik F2 and correctly skewed, Anik F1R will then come in "automatically" to the "Sat A" side of the LNB. Note that on the LNB that the receptor for "Sat A" is to the right of the "Sat B" receptor, as the signals cross when reflected off the dish.

Quote:
I'm guessing that means the alignment is a bit off on Anik F2?
That's possible, since the vast majority of HDef comes from Anik F2. If you want to further analyze this situation, you can make a determination of exactly which channels are weak, and then check the following links to see which satellites those channels come from:

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/shawf1_chno.html
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/shawf2_chno.html

Quote:
I'm getting a weak signal on most of my HD channels, while the signal remains strong on the SD channels
I presume you're using the Ecb/No (Options 6-4-7 Line C) as a measure of your signal strength. Keep in mind that the Ecb/No on HDef channels will likely be 2.0 less than the Ecb/No for SDef channels. You don't state your location, but assuming you're somewhere in Canada, you should be getting an Ecb/No of +9.0 or better on SDef channels unless you have an obstruction to the line of sight.
bananavida likes this.

Tags
burlington , cogeco , halton , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.