Multiswitch Discussions - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-10-18, 02:38 AM

Cool

My understanding is you should not "cascade" Multiswithes but rather use power pass splitters (somewhat like your second attempt) but the correct connection is critical so the "legs" are the same off the splitter into the multiswitches.

It doesn't matter which leg off the LNB goes to each splitter but when you come out of each splitter the output must both go to the same input on their corresponding multiswitch. The first splitter output goes to both 18V inputs on the multiswitches; the second splitter output goes to both 13V inputs on the multiswitches; the 3rd splitter output goes to both 18V/22KHz inputs on the multiswitches; and the 4rth splitter output goes to both 13V/22KHz inputs on the multiswitches.

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/PD..._Receivers.pdf

In this manner each LNB input will always be tuned to one setting and no conflicts will occur by the multiswitch sending conflicting requests to the LNB. The only diagram I could find quickly is on the link. The diagram indicates a single leg power pass on the splitters but there are lots available cheap that pass power on both legs.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-10-18, 08:54 AM
Rookie

I do have the feeds from each splitter going to the same input on each MS so that is definitely not the issue.

I also have never had any problems cascading MSs before. I believe Tico also mentioned this was fine in post 27 of this thread as well.
post #63 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-10-18, 08:58 AM
Rookie

Are your splitters, "Both ports power passing".?

post #64 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-10-18, 05:29 PM
Rookie

Yes they are.
post #65 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-10-20, 09:33 PM
Rookie

Polarization

Shaw has 2 satallites and they both have Horizontal and Vertical polarizations, the multiswitch will be able to tune in 8 different channels with out any problems.
post #66 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 08:37 PM
Rookie

5X8 Multi Switch

I'm sure this is answered somewhere but I cant find it. I have 4 coax lines running from Starchoice dish into my house. A friend gave me an Eagle Aspen 5X8 multiswitch so I can hook up another set.

Does it matter which of the 4 wires go into the sat in connections or is there a specific order? Also, if I dont use ll of the outputs, do I need to put terminators on them. I will not be using the cable/antenna input.

Thanks!!
post #67 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 03:03 AM
Veteran

No specific order. No termination.
post #68 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-11-02, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRPFX View Post
I'm sure this is answered somewhere but I cant find it. I have 4 coax lines running from Starchoice dish into my house. A friend gave me an Eagle Aspen 5X8 multiswitch so I can hook up another set.

Does it matter which of the 4 wires go into the sat in connections or is there a specific order? Also, if I dont use ll of the outputs, do I need to put terminators on them. I will not be using the cable/antenna input.

Thanks!!
I've just been down this road. Input order is random for the 4 cables. Capping off to prevent moisture ingress is a good idea if mounted outside or near water. No need for terminations just plastic caps.

Regards,
Jim
post #69 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-11-09, 12:44 PM

Is there a list of MultiSwitches that are compatiable with StarChoice/ShawDirect?
post #70 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-11-09, 01:33 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post
Is there a list of MultiSwitches that are compatiable with StarChoice/ShawDirect?
I couldn't find one released officially by SD but they seem to prefer the Eagle Aspen in their literature. (Or a Zinwell multiswitch)

https://secure.shawdirect.ca/english...spec_sheet.pdf

But there seem to be lots of others. I bought the Philips SDW5058 Satellite Multiswitch primarily because it was 5X8 and outdoor rated. Whereas the Eagle Aspen version was indoor rated only.

Regards,
Jim
post #71 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-11-09, 01:42 PM

I happen to have an old Zinwell SW68 which is a 4x8 Multiswitch Directv Multiswitch (and of course Directv uses 22k switching as does SC/SD). Would this switch work?

EDIT: QDK says that the SW68 WILL work on a different thread.
post #72 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-11-09, 01:48 PM
MSM

I ordered a 5x8 switch from Shaw Direct this year, and received one manufactured by Pico Macom (www.picomacom.com). It is labelled TRUSPEC TSMS-5/8. It works really well, with either a stacked or non-stacked LNB (2 or 4 ports). If used with a stacked LNB, the 13V inputs are used.

For your compatibility question, I note that the switch is labelled "DIRECTv Compatible".
post #73 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-11-10, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post
I happen to have an old Zinwell SW68 which is a 4x8 Multiswitch Directv Multiswitch (and of course Directv uses 22k switching as does SC/SD). Would this switch work?

EDIT: QDK says that the SW68 WILL work on a different thread.
I'm using the Zinwell switch. Got it for something like $15 on ebay. It is outdoor rated AND it doesn't need a power supply.
post #74 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-11-10, 11:36 AM
MSM

If the Zinwell switch doesn't need a power supply, does that mean the signals from the dish are not amplified?? The Pico-Macom switch amplifies all 8 outputs, and I noticed an improvement in signal level at the receivers. Maybe that accounts for the difference in cost ....
post #75 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-11-10, 11:44 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSM View Post
If the Zinwell switch doesn't need a power supply, does that mean the signals from the dish are not amplified?? The Pico-Macom switch amplifies all 8 outputs, and I noticed an improvement in signal level at the receivers. Maybe that accounts for the difference in cost ....
You are correct. Most powered switches typically boost the signal by 1.5 dB to overcome insertion losses. I think that's why there seems to be a move in that direction, and away from passive devices. (Even though powering them can be a pain in the butt.)

However, I have seen posts where folks advise no degradation in signal (and in one case higher) with a un-powered switch. Of course these devices can pull some power from the recievers they are connected to, but I am uncertain if that practice is desireable with the new recievers (think 630 & 605) that SD has recently rolled out.

Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.