Multiswitch Discussions - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 03:30 PM

Polarity of power supply

For all of you ordering / have the Eagle Aspen multiswitches, Could u please confirm for me the polarity of the 24V DC power supply?

I think it should be -ve on the outside, with a +ve center electrode.

I have a Eagle Aspen that I bought on ebay a few years back, but being dumb, I didn't reallize the item I was bidding on didn't come with a PS. I found a 24v DC PS at the local liquidation/surplus store, and I might convert it to a coaxial output to get my 630 up and running.

Thx,
Peter

Panny 47wx52, DMR-e80*C DSR500x2, XBOX 360, Toshiba 26hf84, LG 37LC2D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 12:46 AM

Negative on the shielded part of the cable. Positive on the center part works. Canibalized a $5 dc adapter (24v, 600mah) and now I have a working multiswitch

post #48 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 12:45 PM

my 630 and multiswitch came yesterday and the installer is coming on Friday to hook it all up - he'll be adding a 4th line for the 630 (already have 2 lines to a 530 and 1 to a 505) - I want to connect the 505 to a 3rd tv - will the installer supply the coax to connect the 505 to the multiswitch, or do I need to go buy some myself?

(the coax now going to the 505 will be one of the 2 used for the 630 - I want to then use the 505 on a 3rd tv)

post #49 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 12:53 PM

the watcher,

I think the 4th line will be free, but the installer may charge u for the 5th line (to reattach the 505)

p

post #50 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 12:55 PM

ahh...I never thought of that...I guess that's something I can do myself then, isn't it? get some coax, connect it to the switch, and to the 505? easy peasy, right?

Edit: nevermind - I just realized I already have a coax cable - it's connected to the line out of the 505, and goes to the 3rd tv - so when the 630 is installed to the tv where I have the 505, I'll just disconnect the cable from the 505's out, move it to the input, and connect the other end to the switch

hopefully...but I'm sure the installer can at least help me with that much...
post #51 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 11:41 PM
Rookie

jimsathome,
I'm new to satellite. In the image posted, I'd like to know if my hookup will be correct (install on Friday). After the 4 lines are run to the 4x8 multi-switch... lines 1 and 2 out will go to one PVR, lines 3 and 4 out will go to my 2nd PVR and line 5 out will go to my 3rd digital box (non-PVR). Is that correct?
post #52 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-29, 07:54 AM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris_paris View Post
jimsathome,
I'm new to satellite. After the 4 lines are run to the 4x8 multi-switch... lines 1 and 2 out will go to one PVR, lines 3 and 4 out will go to my 2nd PVR and line 5 out will go to my 3rd digital box (non-PVR). Is that correct?
That will work out fine for you. All 8 out ports are the same so it makes no difference which output ports you pick but the way you stated it would be a good way to do it for future reference.
post #53 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-10-09, 11:42 AM
Rookie

Newbie - Multiswitch question

I just got a multiswitch from a friend, it is new in the box so I am not concerned that way.

It is a Wnc SWA-48, direct TV compatable, will it work with Shaw? the dish was installed a year ago, so hardware is up to date.

If so, how do you hook it up, has no instructions and don't want to fry my LNB or recievers.

Thanks

Last edited by 57; 2010-10-09 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
post #54 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-10-09, 06:42 PM
QCK

matcodesign, that switch will work. Your LNB head on your dish has four coax cable connectors at the bottom. Run RG6 coax cable from all four of them to the four inputs on the top of the multiswitch. On the bottom of the multiswitch is 8 output ports, you can use any of them to send the signal to your receivers, again using RG6 coax cable. Make sure the switch is powered by the single coax connector on the side.
post #55 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-10-10, 12:58 AM
Rookie

Thanks CQK, so it doesn't matter which cable goes in which spot, just as long as all 4 are hooked up? and about power, put power to the switch before adding the other cables or does it matter? just want to be sure, thanks.
post #56 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-10-10, 04:03 PM
QCK

matcodesign, that is correct, it does not matter what cable goes to what spot, what does matter is that all 4 cables are ran from the LNB to the inputs of the switch. It should not matter with the power but I would connect it before connecting the lines to the receivers.
post #57 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-10-11, 09:31 AM
Rookie

Thanks QCK, I appreciate your help.
post #58 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-10-15, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Can a Multiswitch Reset Itself?

We're having some reboot issues with our 630 and now a second 630, which rebooted about 12 times in about four hours once activated. Technical escalation was thinking it could have to do with the multiswitch. We put two lines directly into the 630 without using the multiswitch. The 630 only rebooted when we tried (three times) to do the firmware download (00.10 to 00.13). It didn't reboot other than that.

After the guide of the second 630 fully loaded, we tried the download again and it worked. We also thought we actually figured out why, specifically, the 630 rebooted when we tried the guide download, so due to this, we thought it really was the multiswitch.

We plugged the 630 back into the multiswitch, expecting it to reboot like crazy again, but it didn't. In fact, it's been pretty stable. Technical escalation said that people think that 00.13 download helps all kinds of things it doesn't really have anything to do with. In the case of many, many reboots, it really wouldn't help that. Therefore, in theory, the update is not why it stopped rebooting.

Now, the multiswitch was unplugged for about six hours when we had the 630 plugged directly into the lines and not through the multiswitch. Is it possible, somehow, that the multiswitch's being unplugged could have (theoretically) allowed it to "reset" itself? And that the multiswitch could have been the problem re: the many reboots, but it now fixed itself?

The new 630 went from 12 reboots in four hours to none. I think there must be a reason and I'm trying to figure out what it could be...

The Hans
post #59 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-10-17, 04:19 AM
Veteran

I don't know but doubt the multiswitch would correct itself. I do know that software upgrades can cause and solve all sorts of unintended happenings. This is due to hardware registry, memory, etc. etc. use hardware problems.
.13 was extremely stable compared to .10 for me.
post #60 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-10-18, 01:45 AM
Rookie

Here's a fun one

I have an interesting issue I have never seen or heard of before. The system was 4-530s & 1-505 hooked up through 1 AE 4x8 (1 530 only had one line and was being used for tv only, no recording, hence 8 outputs was enough). Wanted to run second line to that 530 and add a 630 so installed a 2nd AE 4x8 in cascade (4 outputs from 1st MS to inputs on 2nd MS). None of the receivers on the second MS would get signal from anything other than 13V/0kHz. Logic points to 2nd MS not switching = bad MS right. Here is where it gets interesting, just for kicks I hooked up the 2 MS in parallel with 4 power pass splitters. I was somewhat surprised that with this setup all receivers worked on 13V/0kHz, 18V/0kHz & 13V/22kHz but none worked on 18V/22kHz. I then discovered that the receivers on either MS worked on 18V/22kHz so long as only 1 MS was attached to the splitter but as soon as the other MS was connected no signal. Swapped out that splitter, no change. Swapped the splitter with one of the others, no change. Due to time constraints that is all the testing I did. Anyone ever run into anything like this or any ideas of the cause?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.