Multiswitch Discussions - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 01:27 PM
QCK

oil99, no, the 530 only records on the second tuner, so recording is not an option if you only have tuner number one connected.

You can put the multiswitch outside but really you still should have two lines from the output of the multiswitch to the 630. The 630 should be able to record with just the one tuner connected but I cannot confim this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 01:38 PM

Thanks QCK!

Ya thats a bummer. But i do have 2 lines enter the house where the 630 is so thats all good. The problem is the other 2 lines enter on the other side of the house (older house with a finished basement so this is just the way it was). So I'd have to run lines on the outside of the house to add a multiswitch.

Cheers!
post #33 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 08:02 PM

Or... If it's not an HDTV on the 530 you could use the coax out (TV3/4) connection and run the signal from the 530 to the TV over the single, existing coax and locate the 530 closer to the dish where it might be more convenient. You probably will get some noise using that method but it's better than nothing if that's your other choice. You could also use a stand-alone distribution modulator and get a cleaner signal to your TV.

The UHF remote will work through walls for quite a distance, particularly if you use a length of coax to extend the antenna.

post #34 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-08, 03:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
1) Does Shaw bring out the multiswitches when they install?
From my past experience, no. If you are purchasing a multiswitch through SD, they will ship it to you first and then ask you to call back when received to arrange the service call.
post #35 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-08, 06:09 PM

My question is similar. I have a 530 and a 505. I have ordered the 630 (reading here today, I see that I have to call "for the deal") My dilemma's are as follows:

if I opt to return the 530 for the 630, I should be fine for amount of lines.
if I opt to keep the 530+630 I will need a multiswitch?
if I opt to keep all 3, then I definitely need the multi switch .

My main problem I guess is that when the installer hooked up my sat, my 530 went through the crawl space and up to my living room, but the other line (505) was tied into a locked cable box located inside my garage. I believe this is where there is a splitter determining which outlet to be used (ie bed 1, 2, or 3). I do not have a key for this box. Do I just drill the lock out, or if I'm adding lines, I would need an installer anyways, and he should be able to open???

Thanks, still trying to determine if I need the 2 pvr's or not. Those who have a pvr in bedroom, is it used much? or more for lets watch the girls gone wild on hdtv before bed?

Btw hoping not to hijack this thread. sorry

Last edited by Wazabi; 2010-09-08 at 06:10 PM. Reason: forgot something.
post #36 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-08, 06:38 PM
Rookie

Multiswitch for PVR's

Is there ANY chance of signal quality loss if you have to incorporate a multi switch into the mix? I am looking at one or two new 630 PVR's and if I go with two I would need a multiswitch. (I would run one 630 PVR, plus 2 505's; or 2 630 PVR's plus 1 505)

I might avoid adding 2 PVRs if the answer is yes there is a chance of signal quality loss. I would then just stay with one 630 plus 2 505's , and therefore not need the multiswitch. Any comments are appreciated!

Nick

Last edited by 57; 2010-09-08 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
post #37 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-08, 10:12 PM

Only the old 2x2 and 2x4 non powered multiswitches degraded the signal and then not enough to worry about except in extreme conditions.

Current 4(5)x8 multswitches are POWERED and have a small amp to compensate for the insertion loss.
Normally about 7DB or so.

You should not worry about adding such a switch.

Due to the digital nature of the signalm as long as you a a miniscul amount stranger than what is required to decode the signal, then even the strongest signal will appear identical.

Why we strive for best EcbNo and signal strenth are on those occasion were the signal becomes naturally attenuated by weather and such.

The difference between what you have and when it drops the signal is often called rain fade margin.
post #38 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-08, 11:52 PM
Rookie

Does Shaw Direct provide the multiswitch for a price? Or do you have to purchase elsewhere?
post #39 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-08, 11:55 PM

Both. SD sells them and you can buy them online. Lots of folks (including me!) have negotiated a free switch while ordering their 630.

Go HABS Go!
post #40 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-09, 07:48 AM

@nick: if you cannot negotiate a free switch, you will find great deals on-line. The Eagle Aspen 5x8 switch is advertised on SD's website for $99.99. I bought a used one on a popular auction website for under $25 shipped and installed it myself. looks and works great
post #41 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-09, 10:42 AM

Zinwell is another brand that works well and can be found at good prices on auction sites.
post #42 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-09, 11:49 AM

LOL, ok I don't need help opening the cable box in my garage now, the back end of a hammer did a great job!
post #43 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 04:49 PM

Question about the powered multiswitches. Can they be placed outside? Or do they need to be indoors protected from the elements? Do they use just a regular DC adapter?

Thanks.
post #44 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 04:59 PM

Some are outdoor rated and others not.
Check the documentation.

Power is usually via a wall wort with an F-connector and a coax run to a dedicated power port.
post #45 of 332 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 09:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Can they be placed outside?
Mine is outside as in a garden shed underneath the dish which is installed on the house eves. When I had a stacked dish, I always had problems with corrosion in the 2 x 2 switch, even with cable boots and insulation. Since the larger multiswitches are powered with a brick cable to a wall plug, I would never install one in the weather.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.