Multiswitch Discussions - Page 22 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #316 of 326 (permalink) Old 2016-02-11, 06:16 AM
Rookie

Diamond: I had the same problem with one receiver acting up, couldn't figure out what the problem was. Called Shaw and did a signal refresh and the problemm was solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #317 of 326 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 01:29 PM
Rookie

Thanks to all who responded. As suspected, it was the multiswitch, the Pico-Macom TSMS-4/8. The tech replaced it and everything seems to be working fine with signal strength numbers now in the mid to high 90's on any channel.

But just a few comments on the service call 'experience.' I realise Shaw uses 3rd party local service orgs to handle house calls but ultimately they are Shaw's representative in your home and this visit left a lot to be desired.
1) If the entire call was predicated on the customer's belief that their multiswitch was suspect, wouldn't you think the tech would have a replacement in his vehicle? Turns out he didn't have the Pico-Macom TSMS-4/8 on hand, the very one he confirmed SD still use exclusively for residential installs, so he ended up substituting it with a smaller non-boxed non-powered one he claimed they only use in commercial installations. No make or model markings whatsoever although 'DirectTV' is referenced on the label. At least I no longer have the secondary heating source in our utility room anymore that the Pico-Macom TSMS-4/8 was.
2) The rep seemed very rushed. This even included him at one point dropping the new switch from about 5 ft. onto the concrete floor. When I mentioned that must be and indication of how busy they must be, he admitted things are very slow at the moment. I can only wonder why I had to wait 5 days to have someone visit. Yes, I know many wait far longer but still. . . . .
3) At no time were any tests done using any sort of scopes or instruments. The only verifications were done using the system status readings on the two 'suspect' PVR630's that Shaw phone support has so often suggested were bad and needed replacement. The irony!
4) Lastly, and somewhat unrelated to the satellite experience is the fact that this rep parked in our driveway. Arguably any professional tech, tradesman or visitor knows not to for various reasons not the least of which is the new oil stain ours now bears as a result.
Oh well. . . . . . . . . .
post #318 of 326 (permalink) Old 2016-02-14, 11:46 PM

@Diamonds ,

Glad to hear the problem has been resolved (for now).

As an installer myself, I park in the customer's driveway if parking is prohibited on the road in front of their house, or there is a fire hydrant in front of their home.

For what we get paid, I'm not getting a parking ticket while doing a job.

post #319 of 326 (permalink) Old 2016-02-16, 04:19 PM
Rookie

46FD04,
Understand your concerns on parking if/when any of the conditions you mention exist, in this case they don't. By parking in the driveway, the person assumes it's ok with the customer without asking first and further assumes no one needs to enter or exit the driveway or garage they have simply chosen to park in, or in front of during their visit. Again, not a big deal, but still somewhat presumptuous when there is ample parking at the curb situated no more than 20 to 30 ft. away.
post #320 of 326 (permalink) Old 2016-03-30, 07:50 PM
Rookie

I have a multiswitch-630 PVR question. I have two lines coming from outside but I want to sub out my upstairs standard HD box with the PVR. But it would be more than a hassle to run a second line all the way through the floor over to the far side of my living room to hook it up.

Can I use a 3x4 aspen multiswitch ( or another smaller reccomended brand that works on Shaw Direct boxes) and just double the lines like say from 12 feet away from the TV? Would that sort of setup work for Shaw PVR boxes?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Curt
post #321 of 326 (permalink) Old 2016-03-31, 11:24 AM
Veteran

No. You need to either add lines, or see of you can get the CSS multis witch to use one wire.
post #322 of 326 (permalink) Old 2016-06-02, 05:43 PM

Can anyone confirm that the Zinwell 4x8 switches work in conjunction with the triple Satellite LNB. Father in Law is still on a quad LNB, Zinwell 4x8 and a mixture of 500 and 600 series receivers. Ultimately it sounds as though everything is going to have to change to 600 series receivers and the new LNB so that made me wonder if the Zinwell will continue to function properly with the new type LNB. I haven't seen anything here indicating that it doesn't and the triple LNB has been out for quite awhile now.

Thanks....Terry

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #323 of 326 (permalink) Old 2016-06-03, 11:46 AM

yep - I have a Zinwell 4x8. All is fine with the 3rd sat. That is the one piece of equipment I have not had to replace
post #324 of 326 (permalink) Old 2016-06-04, 12:33 AM

Okay, that is good to hear.

Thanks for the report smp01.

Terry

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.