Multiswitch Discussions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 11:26 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Jimsathome: OTA is ATSC. Digital Cable is QAM. You can't tune QAM with ATSC. The TVs that can tune QAM have a QAM tuner.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 12:42 AM

If the LNBs have 4 outputs, why do I only have 2 lines coming into the house. not connected?
post #18 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome
My question: Can the OTA input be from a cable supplier as I've read elsewhere? The Cable supplier uses all Digital Cable boxes with no analogue channels or FM signals at all. If so this would certainly tidy up an install having both sources on one cable until diplexed at the Reciever / Cable Box.
YES, you can Jim.
I do it and it works just fine.
The reason it does is all about frequencies.

Cable and OTA broadcast will always fall within the 50-860MHz range, where as the LNB output starts at 950MHz and can go up to 2.15GHz.

The diplexer really acts like a frequency filter/combiner.

In the 5x8 multiswitch, the lower 50-860 signal get combined on the coax with the much higher satellite signals.

Then you use a small single diplexer on any number of lines that need to filer/tap off the cable/OTA TV signal to be used.

In my case I had 2 coaxes running to the top of the bedroom closet where I have a SD and an FTA box.
I added the local cable feed onto the SD feed and ran the TV line from the diplexer to the TV and the SAT line to the 505.

The diplexer doesn't care if the signal is NTSC, ATSC, QAM, clear or encrypted. All it knows about if simple RF frequencies.

It's a great way to send Cable/Antenna signal + satellite on a single coax.

This technique was common a while ago when TV antennas had separate VHF and UHF and were combined in a similar fashion on a single feedline.

post #19 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 02:35 AM

Cool

Moose,

I figured it was all multiplexing the various streams at different frequencies and then "peeling" them off with the diplexer.

Thanks for the confirmation.

(57, I'm sorry if I confused you. The Cable input will be tuned by it's own Cable Box - one of them is a HD Motorola DCT6200 - and not the TV.)
post #20 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 07:43 AM

Jimsathome,

I might be off base here - Moose or 57 can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the diplexer will NOT work with bidirectional communications, such as a digital cable box (or cable modem). The return signal doesn't find it's way to the 5th input on the multiplexer.

Millstone,

A little more detail on your situation please. Reading your post it sounds like you have only 2 lines coming in from the dish and both are not connected - that sounds like you have no satellite TV. Just guessing here, but maybe you are referring to a dish with only two outputs going to multiple receivers. This is possible as well, but we didn't get into it here. If this is what you have and you really want to know how it works, we need to write "Stacking LNBF's 101"
post #21 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 09:42 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
Gents,

My question: Can the OTA input be from a cable supplier as I've read elsewhere? The Cable supplier uses all Digital Cable boxes with no analogue channels or FM signals at all. If so this would certainly tidy up an install having both sources on one cable until diplexed at the Reciever / Cable Box.
Basically yes, so long as they don't use (or you will be using) above 800 Mhz or so, especially with boxes such as the DCx34xx ones that use MoCA for networking.

A diplexer should work with bi-directional RF communications, and might go down to 5 Mhz on the "antenna" side.

One additional thing that will not work over a diplexer is power injectors for mast mount pre-amps, since the injectors also filter out DC current; that being used in the coax for the needs of the satellite system.
post #22 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 11:19 AM

Thanks Classicsat. I wasn't entirely clear on that. One more thing that won't work for sure is IR remote extenders that use the coax to transmit pulsed DC (such as SmartHome whole-house distribution system with IR - as I have.) As you pointed out, the DC is filtered out by the diplexer.
post #23 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico View Post
Jimsathome,

I might be off base here - Moose or 57 can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the diplexer will NOT work with bidirectional communications, such as a digital cable box (or cable modem). The return signal doesn't find it's way to the 5th input on the multiplexer.

Millstone,

A little more detail on your situation please. Reading your post it sounds like you have only 2 lines coming in from the dish and both are not connected - that sounds like you have no satellite TV. Just guessing here, but maybe you are referring to a dish with only two outputs going to multiple receivers. This is possible as well, but we didn't get into it here. If this is what you have and you really want to know how it works, we need to write "Stacking LNBF's 101"
I have 2 lines coming into the house that are connected to a 630. I'm wondering why you're referencing 4 lines coming in on page 1.
post #24 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 11:04 PM

Cool

Millstone,

For a Multiswitch to work you need to connect all 4 outputs of the Quad LNB from a 60e or 75e Dish assembly for it to work.

Here's an image of a Direct TV version but the setup is the same.

You connect up to 8 recievers off the bottom on this Eagle Aspen Multi-Switch.

I understand there is a configuration that would allow 2 round dishes (each one aimed at a different Bird) to be connected as well.
post #25 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 11:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I'm wondering why you're referencing 4 lines coming in
QUAD LNB's will have outputs for 4 lines from the dish. You have two for the 630. You have room for 2 more lines, if you wish. Beyond that you would need a multiswitch, all four lines from the dish to the switch and up to eight out to receivers.
post #26 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 07:28 AM

This is kind of out there, but you're able to have 6 receivers on your account: so if all 6 were PVR's would you be able to setup 2 dishes with 2 multiswitches and have it work (using 12 of the 16 lines)?
post #27 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 08:35 AM

Yes, you can cascade multi switches (use 4 outputs from one as the 4 inputs to the other, and end up with 12 usable outputs).

I'm pretty sure that a splitter (or four of them) with 1 port DC pass could be used in this case to split the 4 lines from the LNBF and connect to two multiswitches without losing 4 of the outputs, leaving 16 usable outputs.

Also, for hotels, apartments, and such, there are multiswitch networks with 50, 100 or more outputs.
post #28 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Jimsathome: I understand there is a configuration that would allow 2 round dishes (each one aimed at a different Bird) to be connected as well
Yes I have such a setup with a PICO 5/8 powered switch.

Go HABS Go!
post #29 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 08:46 AM

Thanks tico!
post #30 of 326 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 11:34 AM

530 and one coax

Hello all,

I've searched and read multiple posts on this including the current multiswitch ones and understand you need 2 lines for recording and watching something else. If you only have one line can you record the channel the 530 is currently tuned to?

I am replacing mine with a 630 but i do not have a multiswitch as my lines enter the house in different locations (PITA). Alternatively I understand i could put the multiswitch outside correct?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.