Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Page 98 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1456 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-03, 01:03 PM
Veteran

This problem has occurred and been reported a number of times on the forum. It's due to a corrupted recordings database. It may be possible to recover some of the programming. I forget all the details but remedies include a receiver reset, without or with, a drive format. A search may turn up other solutions. When this happened to me, I just deleted the bad programs. That might not always be possible.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1457 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-03, 01:15 PM

This is a logical comment and approach. This is not rocket science. Once you know you have two cables from your dish connected and each cable is delivering a good level of signal to the 630, a receiver reset first WITH preserving your disk contents, and then later WITHOUT preserving your disk contents, sprinkled with a couple of refreshes between these actions should resolve most problems. If not, you'll probably need a new 630. Everything else you do is probably just wasting time.

OTA: Sony digital TV, Clearstream 2V@7' high, 10dB line amp; FTA: New 1.2-metre Ku-band dish.
post #1458 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-03, 01:40 PM
Veteran

I think there is also a hidden menu to reset just the programs database. Haven't had to use it myself but it has been discussed on the forum. It will recover valid programs but without any detailed information. I usually just watch what I can and reformat the drive to get a fresh start.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary

post #1459 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-04, 05:52 AM

So conveniently I have a corrupted recording database on BOTH receivers, the original and the replacement? Doesn't seem likely. And again, I have done both resets preserving my recordings and with erasing them. Nothing works. I have no interest in recovering these programs, what I do have an interest in is being able to record in the first place! I do not believe the exact same problem will occur on two separate receivers. All I can think of is that somehow it is a cable issue and even that doesn't make sense as the signal is strong on both tuners and the technician replaced the one cable that had signal issues. I appreciate the advise but it just seems like everything has been tried, to no avail, and I'm getting fed up.
post #1460 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-04, 01:52 PM
Veteran

The 630 is sensitive to signal issues. Mine gets screwed up every time a heavy rain storm or thunderstorm storm rolls through. It's yet another serious problem with the 630 that needs to be fixed. We've had heavy rain and freezing rain during the last week and I've seen a corresponding increase in recording and receiver issues. The signal is normally very strong due to a 75cm dish. That doesn't help much when it's covered in ice though.

post #1461 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-04, 11:15 PM

Since this has started over two weeks ago, we haven't had any snow, any rain or wind or any other weather issues. There is no snow on the dish. There is no ice on the dish. I do have a lot of pixellation issues periodically, which may be related to what is going on, or something different entirely.
post #1462 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-04, 11:30 PM
Veteran

Recording 2 HD channels at once can cause pixelation issues and dropouts. I've noticed it most often with FOX HD and CTV HD. Watching recorded shows at the same time can make it worse. Rebooting with the front panel power switch can alleviate the recording issues if they get worse. Compared to some other PVRs on the market, the 630 is a piece of trash. Shaw should be paying its customers to debug it.

post #1463 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddayson View Post
Since this has started over two weeks ago, we haven't had any snow, any rain or wind or any other weather issues. There is no snow on the dish. There is no ice on the dish. I do have a lot of pixellation issues periodically, which may be related to what is going on, or something different entirely.
I want to post here to relay what happened to me with 530s, as there's some similarity to your issue in that, no matter what I did, the problems never ended. We ended up having five 530s, all brand new replacements. Every time we had one, something would go wrong with it in short order -- usually it was freezing, sometimes corrupt recordings, black screens, spontaneous reboots...you name it. We heard the "plug it into the wall," "move it somewhere else," "let's try a reset," "let's switch the cables around," everything. I became bosom buddies with a guy from technical escalation.

Anyway, as it turns out, the first three 530s might have had nothing specifically wrong with them. However, the installation (which had been done a few years prior before 530s existed) was faulty. But when technical escalation sent out a service person, he was the same one who did the original installation and he found nothing wrong. So problems kept happening. Technical escalation even footed the bill for a voltage regulator, in case the problem was brown outs. When we got 530 #4, I suggested a *different* service person come out. When that happened, he discovered that one of the cables running under the house was hanging by a thread with loose barrel connectors and that the dish was barely attached to the roof. Once these things were fixed, #4 worked for some time. But then it developed a completely *different* problem, which was the sound simply stopped working. Thus replacement #5. We had the same problems with that one that we originally had. Technical escalation suggested turning off the live on disk as a permanent feature. Meaning that we should only do two of three things at the same time between having the live on disk on, recording something and watching a recording. We still have that 530 two years later. We've had some problems with it here and there, but overall it's been fine.

But, had our installation been correct in the first place, we might only have needed *one* 530, not five.

I'm writing this so you'll know that it's possible a variety of circumstances, not one single circumstance, could be causing your 630 problems. And it really could be the 630s, or the installation, not your environment, nor anything at all like that. There are people on this forum who have had many, many replacement receivers. Is it unusual? Perhaps. But not unique. I'm sure you can get a good one eventually.

But what you really need is to speak to technical escalation. Beware...no matter what, those guys will probably think your 630 can be fixed, they hate sending out replacements because they're simply in LOVE with the 630, really. BUT they know everything about 630s that there is to know and, if there's a way to fix it, they'll figure it out.
post #1464 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 08:33 AM

Scarybob - the point I have been trying to make is that I cannot record anything at all! I realise watching and recording at the same time and recording two shows at once can cause pixelation. But my pixelation has nothing to do with recording shows as I cannot record a darned thing. Anyway though, the pixelation is the least of my concerns right now. It generally goes away and only affects certain stations. Right now, I would just be happy with a functioning PVR.
post #1465 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 08:39 AM

TheHans - thanks for the post. I will definitely have to make a call to technical support once again. With the hours I work, it is hard to find the right time to call them. I will phone them in the next day or so. The cable issue you mentioned makes me wonder if I have a similar issue. I guess I will find out. One thing that has been happening lately is that I cannot pause live tv. Scheduled recordings definitely do not work, but before I could still pause live tv. Now I have to do a front panel reset before pausing will work, and that is only a temporary fix as within a few hours the feature stops working and requires another front panel reset.
post #1466 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 09:31 AM

Pixelation over the past 2 weeks has been brutal. I've rebooted the unit a few times. Every 15secs or so on most recordings and live viewing. CTVHD seems to be the most problematic.

Is there anything being done or are we just to live with it. It's only the 630, my 2 605s are fine.
post #1467 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 11:19 AM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
I have not observed any pixelation on my 630 in recent memory. This applies to live viewing or recordings, from Calgary with a 60cm dish or Edmonton with a 75cm dish. I can only remember seeing one spontaneous reboot since doing a reset preserving recordings in September 2011.

I just checked our box and we have 9 HD recurring recordings, on various channels. The box is typically running in the 70's to 80's for drive utilization.

It is snowing here south of Edmonton today and my tuners are showing signal strength in the 70's. I just did a quick fast forward through a recording from ABC last night during a snowfall without seeing any obvious signal breakdowns.

605's are tuners, 630's are small embedded systems with tuners and hard drives which are being asked to perform a number of different events by a number of different users in an uncontrollable set of different circumstances.

I don't dispute that the 630 hardware is likely underpowered, but I suspect that most of the issues with this box are due to software. Whether they ever get fixed is primarily a business decision, secondarily a technical one.

@smp01 - Do a reset, and if that doesn't work, you could try Disabling Live Record to Disk.
post #1468 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 02:46 PM

So I decided to go the Ask Jim route. Within 15 minutes I was speaking to a senior technical escalation agent who quite promptly diagnosed the issue as low Ecb/No. On both tuners my Ecb fluctuates between 5.0 and 6.5 She said that those numbers should be close to 8 or above. So yet another service call is scheduled for this Wednesday. She figures the issue is in the lines, so I hope she is right and that this finally resolves my issues. I'll keep you posted.

P.S. - Frustrated phoning customer support and waiting on hold? Ask Jim!
post #1469 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 02:54 PM

Now you've got me checking mine. T1: 12.7dB. T2: 9.5dB. Mine are good. I wonder if that might indicate your dish orientation needs tweaking? You said tech replaced one cable; maybe he changed wrong one, or both were bad. I found this out too that there are expert techs who really know what they're doing but you have to find them. And Jim is one way.

OTA: Sony digital TV, Clearstream 2V@7' high, 10dB line amp; FTA: New 1.2-metre Ku-band dish.
post #1470 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 03:28 PM
Veteran

Low Ecb/No triggers a number of problems in the 630. With those levels, I'm surprised it worked at all. Some problems will not go away until the signal levels increase *and* a reset is performed. I always reset the 630 after a signal interruption. Note that it does not need to be a signal interruption at the receiver end. If there are storms at the uplink or even technical changes done on the satellite, the same problems can occur. I've also seen instances where a bad channel or transponder can cause problems when the receiver is left tuned to it.

Tags
failure , favourites , hard drive , hdpvr630 , reboot , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.