Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Page 93 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1381 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-16, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
We are contemplating buying a large screen TV with 3D abilities. Just wondered if the DVR can record 3D programs. Also wondered what people think about S.D's 3D shows. Any comments would be appreciated
Lester
There seem to be 3D PPV movies on channel 966, but I'm pretty disappointed in the complete lack of stuff on the '3D channel'...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-16, 09:39 PM

Thanks for responding. I notice there is not much 3D content but I was also wondering if one can record these three D shows. Ask Jim responded by stating yes they can be recorded but it will eat up lots if the hard drive space.
Lester
post #1383 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-16, 09:42 PM
QCK

No worries, you have a huge 320GB hard drive in the 630!

post #1384 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-17, 08:18 AM

Thank you for the above post! That brought a smile to my dreary Tuesday morning

I sent an email to Ask Jim last night and received a very prompt reply. The guide data is incorrect for a show I record daily- the 'new' tag is missing. I love how this 'smart' recording relies on not-so-smart humans to type data into the 'stream'.

PS: the 1TB drive is the only way to go.

Shaw Direct DVR630 / DVR 630/ 605, Panny VT55", Sony XBR4, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS3! WDLive
post #1385 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-17, 10:25 AM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouser View Post
Thank you for the above post! That brought a smile to my dreary Tuesday morning

I sent an email to Ask Jim last night and received a very prompt reply. The guide data is incorrect for a show I record daily- the 'new' tag is missing. I love how this 'smart' recording relies on not-so-smart humans to type data into the 'stream'.

PS: the 1TB drive is the only way to go.
Yw Ouser

Yes, they still have many missing tags UFC Central has never had a "New" Tag, and Bellator Fighting had a "New" tag for a while but also included the "New" tag on repeat shows, and then later they just decided not to put a "New" tag on any of them, thus meaning you have to guess if there was a new show on that week or not. If we could get $1.00 off our bill for every missed tag or wrong information in the guide I bet the guide would be become pretty accurate...

I agree that a 1TB is what it should have been all along in the 630, at least a 640Gb would have been much more acceptable.
post #1386 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 09:35 PM

Had a reboot for the 1st time in several months tonight.....everything "seemed" to be ok after it reset.....but now all my recordings appear in the list, but have a blank screen throughtout play.....
post #1387 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-21, 11:56 AM
Rookie

Question Frustration with HDPVR 630

We have had our 630 for a few weeks. Here are the things that boggle me about it:

1. It powers off. Randomly. When we have left it on (so it can record things) we will go into the tv room and, yep it is off. Or while we are watching something too.

2. While watching a PVRed show, the show we are trying to watch will all of a sudden turn off and tune in to a non-recorded regular channel (sometimes it will change channels a few times randomly once back on regular tv) Even after we try to re-start the PVRed program, it will do it again, ending on the same program as before (after changing from a few other channels first) if that makes any sense. It is like it is possessed! I have noted the time, to see if it is maybe that we are PVRing something that is starting then, but it is never at a time that we are recording, or even near the start of a show (last night it happened at 9:46, 9:49 and 9:54)

Any ideas what could be making it act this way?

Thanks!
post #1388 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-21, 12:09 PM
Veteran

Reset the receiver by pressing the front panel power button until the panel goes dark (about 5 seconds.) That will fix lots of odd problems. If they continue, call Shaw.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #1389 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-21, 12:12 PM
Veteran

The PVR will still record things even when it's turned "off". It's not really being turned off, it's just going into stand by mode when you power "off" from the remote or front panel switch.

As far as the sporadic behavior this might be caused by another remote in the house or a neighbour who also might have Shaw Direct. You might need to change your remote codes on the 630.

Just to try and clear some bugs just hold down the power button on the receiver itself for 5 or 10 seconds until it starts a reboot.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #1390 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 01:50 PM

Hi guys.

Just hooked up a 630 using component to one TV and HDMI to another. With the TV's 6ft apart, using a 6ft HDMI, there are no problems(ie. no hdcp problem)

When I put the 2nd TV in the other room where I want it, the sound flicks on and off with the briefest flick of picture every once in a while.

I'm thinking it's the length of the run of the HDMI. It's 30ft, using HDMI 1.4(not sure what the gauge is). I had thought it would be no problem at 30ft no matter the gauge. Guess I was wrong?
post #1391 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusJKG View Post

1. It powers off. Randomly. When we have left it on (so it can record things) we will go into the tv room and, yep it is off. Or while we are watching something too.

2. While watching a PVRed show, the show we are trying to watch will all of a sudden turn off and tune in to a non-recorded regular channel (sometimes it will change channels a few times randomly once back on regular tv) Even after we try to re-start the PVRed program, it will do it again, ending on the same program as before (after changing from a few other channels first) if that makes any sense. It is like it is possessed!
Is the antenna plugged in and is your remote address 000 or maybe 001? If so, maybe someone else is influencing your 630. If the antenna is plugged in, just remove it and put it aside and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then change your remote code to something less common and plug in the antenna again.

The Hans
post #1392 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-28, 11:33 AM

Missing channels when I moved my 630

I took my 630 receiver to my dad's last week, as he is recovering from surgery and his 530 has been working very poorly.
We plugged it in and noticed that several channels that I normally get are missing . Getting a message that we have lost satellite and are searching for the signal. Showing signal strength above 95 for both tuners.
Is there something different in the setup of the 530 vs the 630 that would cause this?
I think his dish and LNB are the same as mine, so figured it would be an easy swap.
Thanks,
Brrgrr
post #1393 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-28, 12:50 PM
Veteran

I would say your dish is probably out of alignment or it's covered in ice and/or snow (Don't know where you live.).

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #1394 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-28, 10:22 PM

brrrgrrr 630 problem

Are you sure you have both coax cables from the dish connected correctly. When you are checking both tuner signal levels, are you on a channel that you are not getting. Strange that you would have good signals on both tuners yet when trying to view the channel it tells you that the signal is bad. Try swapping the two cables(from the dish) on the back of the 630 and see if anything changes. Were the 530 problems related to the 630 problem (I assume not)
post #1395 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 08:57 AM

Pixilation is an ongoing issue that some people have never experienced... and some deal with quite often.

Sometimes it occurs during a live broadcast and changing the channel then going back will clear it up.

It seems to be an issue with the background channel interfering with the channel you are recording.

I thought I was pretty well free of it... and then last night watched CSI Miami from CTV Sunday night. The background channel would probably have been Showcase because I recorded from it an hour before CSI Miami... and yes, Miami wax piliated throughout.

Haven't watched my Showcase show yet to determine if it is also pixilated.

It sure would be nice to hear from Shaw as to whether they are continuing to investigate or not.

Tags
failure , favourites , hard drive , hdpvr630 , reboot , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.