Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 01:57 PM

Thanks SD 630, and Hugh

Hugh, it does come with a manual, but very limited. For example it says to click on PVR options and select program to set channels for recording, HD, SD etc. But I found you can only access Channels when you first set a series to record, eg Law&Order, but if you have picked an episode of Law&Order, you can't get Channels, just All episodes, New Episodes, Priority.

I had to go back, delete all the episodes of Law&Order, then pick the Series again and then I could get the channel option. Maybe I am screwing up somewhere, but that was the only way I could find the Channel option.

Will print out the Manual from the site, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 02:46 PM

Remote Address

I went to change my remote address since my neighbor is changing my channels for me. I actually watched him type in channel 505 yesterday while my remote sat on the table in front of me.

The change remote address in the install settings seems to be disabled... the only thing I can select is Cancel... is there some other button I should be pushing to change the remote channel?

For now I have removed the mini antenna on the back but that's not a great solution.

Thanks!
post #78 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 03:43 PM

drdave - I had a similar issue. When I went to the screen to change the remote address number it showed 4 digits (0000) in green. I kept trying to type in 4 digits but it never worked. Than I typed in only 3 digits (eg, 003) and pressed ok and voila, it worked. Try that.

post #79 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 04:24 PM

6. Video Adjustments

Could someone please explain the point of option number 6. Video Adjustments in the System Settings? All I get is a white screen with coloured boxes in the middle surrounded by coloured rectangle box lines.
I noticed on TSN (Ch. 280 for me) The ticker is a little to high as you can see the picture underneath it (slightly, but its there), also note, that I'm currently in 1080i mode as recommend by SD 630 Support. No option to move the screen up/down, left/right.
It's just me nit-picking. I'm just curious what this option is suppose to do as I may be missing something. It's the same as it was on the 530, it doesn't do anything except show this picture of rectangles.

All in all, very satisfied with new 630. In fact I now have another one on the way to replace my second 530!
post #80 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Infractions issued and posts removed.

from post #1

Quote:
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 when it becomes available on September 1st.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or posts from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

For non-owners, you can ask questions about the unit in our New 630 In Pre Order
post #81 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 06:13 PM

Smile

Ordered it late Saturday night & received it today (Tuesday).
1st impression: very sleek/slim. I will activate it tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
post #82 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 06:21 PM

I also thought I would add that the instructions for mine is to return the 530 in the box the 630 came in. I see some people have wrote about receiving an empty box or still waiting for their empty box to return the 530.....
post #83 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 08:07 PM
Veteran

That will be difficult since the 630 box is far too small to hold a 530.
post #84 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 08:28 PM

I picked up my empty box tonight at Purolator's bunker in Burnside Industrial Park Dartmouth

....It had a return shipping label that included my 530's ID #

....The 530 is going back tomorrow night
post #85 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 08:34 PM

A note of warning to all of those who are returning a 530. Make sure you keep a copy of the Purolator receipt and any other pertinent info. I had occasion to return a receiver several months ago and when I called about the 630 the CSR could not find anything on my account to indicate that I had actually returned the unit. Thankfully I had kept a copy of the Purolator receipt and when I gave her the tracking number she quickly found the unit in SD's records and corrected my account info.

Note to mod: if you feel this post is more appropriate in the other 630 thread please feel free to move it there. I just thought it would be more useful here since this is where most of the "return" type discussion seems to be taking place.
post #86 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 09:03 PM
ard

Audio over HDMI

I have not been able to get the audio working properly over HDMI. I do not know if this an HDMI handshake issue or if it is a common problem. At first, no audio over HDMI at all. Had to go into my Marantz AV8003 processor menu and set audio in to auto instead of HDMI. Then I got sound. The problem is, no dolby digital over the HDMI input, inspite of trying all the available settings in the system settings for the 630 (pass through, pcm, auto). All I am able to get via HDMI is "stereo". Hooked up an optical cable and that allowed DD with the Marantz with either Auto or Dig (optical or coxial spdif) selected, but the signal is coming via the optical cable and not the HDMI cable.
post #87 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 09:17 PM

I received one empty box and a return shipping label today via purolator.
The box was crushed and not appropriate for return of 2 x 530's.
At least I have their label to attach to another box.
post #88 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 10:16 PM
Rookie

I activated my 630 last Friday night. On Saturday I was adjusting some of the settings and noticed that I could not successfully adjust the skip ahead time from the default value to anything other 100+ seconds. Same with the skip back. An apporipriate setting for me would be 60 seconds, but couldn't get there. I know that you can select 1 (for 1 minute) and press the skip back and it will take you back 1 minute, 5 for five minues, and so on, as long as you have been watching for a period of time, but you should be able to revise the setting from the current default.

Also, I had hi Def channels coming in and out - I phoned support and the rep indicated that a ver 14 of the firmware would be out in 72 hours. Anyone received this update or know anything about it?
post #89 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbean5411 View Post
I tried to record Oprah for my wife on "weekdays", but for some reason it says "manual recording 14" about 7 times in the timer list. I tried to delete the timer, but it wouldn't let me. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi mrbean5411,

In trying to record this, did you find Oprah on the channel you want to record in the Guide, press ENTER, and select "Record all episodes"?

Or, did you create a Manual Timer to record a particular time block on a particular channel on weekdays?

If you created a Manual Timer, what you described is expected behaviour. Manual Timers do not capture any program information. To delete the manual timer, press MENU, select "PVR", and then "Options". It should be at the bottom of the list as "Timer XX" or similar. Press ENTER and select "Delete manual timer".

The first way of doing this is the recommended method - that way, if Oprah changes time slot or isn't on a particular day, the PVR will adjust automatically. Plus, all your recordings will contain the full program information - title, rating, description, etc.

It's certainly a shift from the way the HDPVR 530 works - just remember that on the 530 you're recording a time slot, on the HDPVR 630 you're recording a program. The 630 will automatically adapt and adjust to ensure your program is always recorded based on your specified settings!
post #90 of 2802 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
...I could not successfully adjust the skip ahead time from the default value to anything other 100+ seconds. Same with the skip back....
Hi walker1,

Not sure why this would be - adjustments are made in the same way as on the 530. In OPTIONS 4-8-1, arrow over to the field you want to change (e.g. "Skip Forward Duration"), hit the LEFT ARROW 2 or 3 times to "backspace" the current value, and enter the new duration in seconds. Arrow over to "SAVE", press ENTER, and then EXIT.

Let me know if you're still having issues and we'll investigate further.

Quote:
... the rep indicated that a ver 14 of the firmware would be out in 72 hours. Anyone received this update or know anything about it?
There is no version 14. 00.13 (as indicated on Line H "Current Version" in System Status) is the latest version for the HDPVR 630!

Tags
failure , favourites , hard drive , hdpvr630 , reboot , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.