Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Page 46 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #676 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-09, 12:10 PM
Veteran

You need to do a front panel reset. That will take care of your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #677 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-09, 02:32 PM
Rookie

resetting right now...I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks

PS - Is there any word on the Firmware upgrade that so many have been discussing?
post #678 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-09, 07:19 PM

From what I've gathered, the 630 alternates between tuners when it switches channels.
So the first channel you change to is tuner 1, then the next one is tuner 2, then back to tuner 1, etc.

If a tuner gets "locked up" then every second channel appears black.

post #679 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 01:32 PM

great I found this! I have one of the two coax diplexed and I tought that this was the cause of the signal loss!
Its right, fist channel works, second doesn't (two separate lines from the antenna, even after eliminated the diplexer)
This happened two times from yesteday

I use a 4x4 hdmi mixer, I suggest this instead of an hdmi splitter

Also for PPV the reportback doesn't work since apparently there is no phone number in the 630
post #680 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 11:14 PM

Could be intermitt port on lnb, seen it before, get a service call to replace the lnb.
You need to activate the ppv function , call in to shaw to get to enable the receiver for impulse ppv, the phone number will be then added.
post #681 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 05:09 AM

thank you,
another thing I noticed is when records two channel then sometimes there is a little "hang" half second like stuttering
software version is 0013
post #682 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 10:57 AM

Anyone have problems with the UHF functionality of the remote with this receiver? Mine stopped working and because my 630 is located in my drop ceiling I really need this to work. I called CS and they tested out a few things and ended up resetting the receiver and the UHF started working again but crashed again about 45 minutes later where I then resetted the receiver again and again it worked for 30 or 45 minutes. I called CS again and they did a factory reset and sent a trip signal and by that time it was late and the following morning I tried and the UHF had stopped working and when I called again they said they will send me a new unit. After a day or so the UHF has since started working again but I'm glad to replace the unit.

This UHF problem is only the latest of my problems, the PVR lags like crazy and the guide locks in an endless scroll like a button on the remote was continuously pressed (not as bad as in firmware .10 but .13 is still laggy). Also the PVR rebooted itself at least 6 times in a week and a half. The reboots usually happen when I switch between favorites that I have created.

Anyone experience these UHF problems?

The service tech told me a new firmware was due out shortly that will help with the guide/remote lag and also add functionality like external harddrive and down the road they plan to add network media functionality.
post #683 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 02:32 PM
Rookie

my reciever is located upstairs, and my home theater is downstairs, i was having problems with the uhf as well, but i just some standard coax to reloacate the uhf antenna downstairs to the top of my projector screen where it works well now. i think because i coudlnt get it straight up and down, and it was surrounded by a bunch of cables in teh cabinet upstairs, i wasnt getting very good reception.

anyone know if you can plug an ir repeater into the comm port on the back? i have a ir repeater for the theater and it would be super handy if i could just run a cord from my powered ir distribution block to the reciever. i know it works with some of my other gear, for example my a/v amp, with works well witht he 12v input.
post #684 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 02:42 PM

Thats cool that you thought of using coax to relocate the UHF antenna. Although in my case it was a faulty receiver because even with the receiver hanging through the ceiling with the tile removed and UFC functionality still crashed. The tech said the UHF part of the receiver was detaching itself from the receiver and only a reboot fixed it temporarily.

Zorac you mentioned the IR port and thats an interesting option that I too would like to know more about. My Denon AVR has IR in/out that I would be interested.
post #685 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-15, 12:11 PM
Rookie

not sure if it is an ir port or not, but it suspiciouis looks like one. would have to open it up, and pull out the multimeter to veryfiy, would hate to plug in a 12v IR signal and fry it. my coax antenna extention is working well, so i probably wont experiment with the IR.
post #686 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-15, 02:30 PM

Shaw sent me a replacement 630 and this one works way better. Way better response. The only 2 issues I have that were present with my old PVR and are still present with this PVR are,

1- Sometimes the guide doesn't respond to the first click of the guide button and the second press of the button brings up the guide as if you pressed it twice.

2- The second issue is when your finished watching a recorded program and press stop. The screen will become very small and located in the top right quarter of the screen until I press another button.
post #687 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-15, 06:08 PM
Veteran

Both normal responses D0TC0M.

1. Especially when the unit is powered up, the guide may take 5-8 seconds to come up. Pressing the button twice makes the guide fill the screen.

2. When a recording is stopped, it should show the recording list with the last viewed channel playing in the top left corner within 4-5 seconds.
post #688 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-15, 06:52 PM

jbracing24

its not normal that when I press the guide button once it does nothing for 10seconds but as soon as I press the 2nd time the guide immediately appears but as if I pressed twice. If I exit the guide and press the guide button again it responds right away. I've learnt to press the guide button 3 times so I cut the delay from 10 only 3 or 4 seconds. Its as if after a time maybe an hour it will do it again.

Now for the 2nd issue it does show the recording listing and the little black box in the upper left stays black for 4 or 5 seconds like you say but as soon as that box locks into the last viewed channel the whole screen shrinks to fill that little black screen. When I mean shrink I mean the channel listing as well shrinks into that little preview area in the upper left. As soon as I press a button on the remote it will restore to occupy the whole screen again.
post #689 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-15, 08:23 PM
Rookie

I searched the thread, but unless I am using incorrect terms I wasn't able to find what I was looking for.

1)Has anyone transferred PVR recordings from the 630 to a flash drive/external hard drive?

2)Will the 630 format a hard drive/flash drive that gets hooked up?

Sorry if this is more of a "general knowledge" question as opposed to specific to the 630, I'm a newby at this recording and storing stuff.

Thanks.
post #690 of 2816 (permalink) Old 2011-01-16, 12:50 PM
Veteran

The 630 currently does not have any external drive or flashdrive capabilities. It likely will in the future.

Tags
failure , favourites , hard drive , hdpvr630 , reboot , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.