Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion Thread

1M views 3K replies 469 participants last post by  gzink 
#1 ·
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 when it becomes available on September 1st.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

For non-owners, you can ask questions about the unit in our New 630 In Pre Order

Edit by 57: Here's a thread summarizing problems, issues, resolutions, workarounds:

Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

#2,938 ·
Things are starting to make more sense.

Based on my limited knowledge of Shaw Direct, your 630 seems to be responding correctly. The default channel is 299 and you should have been able to see an image even if you were unsubscribed. You didn't say how your 630 is connected, but you previously mentioned a scaler. I suggest double-checking your connections and if you still don't get a picture, connect your 630 directly to a TV with a known working cable.

The 630 responded to a channel down and changed from 299 to 298. I don't think 298 is a valid channel, so there is probably some sort of error message on the screen which is stopping any further channel up/down functions from working.

#2,944 ·
Sat down at 12 to watch the noon news. At about 12:10 a window appeared advising that an update was ready, did I want to do it now or delay 30 minutes. I chose the immediate update, as the news would be repeated. Took about 30 minutes with the TV on and a cheasy screen displayed. Thought these things happen at 2am

#2,958 ·
If the gunk does not come off with gentle blast of air then I wonder about the gunk mist that sticks to the machine and your lungs. :surprise

I used to use a can of compressed air to take the dust away from the lenses of my eyeglasses. I thought it left a residue on the lens. I switched to a camera lens manual air blaster. Cheaper in the long run and I wondered what gas was in the can – propane?

Air intake valve design prevents back flow from air tube.

https://www.henrys.com/5092-OPTEX-DIGITAL-MEGA-AIR-BLOWER.aspx
https://www.cameracanada.com/products/productdetail.aspx?pid=DBLOW

#2,960 ·
Faulty Cable?

Anybody have this problem? Last week I was helping my dad re-shingle the roof so we had to move the dish. Tried to put it back exactly as it was but no signal. We called and scheduled a technician to come over this morning. Meanwhile I was able to move it slightly so the signal came back and we were able to watch tv this weekend without a problem. The guy comes today and changes the dish and the cable outside. My 2 605's are just fine but my pvr 630 didn't record anything scheduled and many channels showed a red light as if there was a storm but those channels were fine on my 2 605's. After trying everything I could think of I contacted SD via their chat service. The agent walked me through several steps. We discovered that 1 of the 2 cables to the pvr 630 was defective and scheduled another technician on Wednesday. How can 1 out of 4 brand new cables be defective???

#2,962 · (Edited)
Smart Record New Episode’s - HELP!

The new, National channel map has created some problems. I setup many ‘Smart Record New Episode’ events.
But the new lineup NOW lists time zones from low to high, east to west.
So If I want my first recording to be from CBC Toronto time zone, the DSR630 wants to record from either Halifax or Charlottetown first.
I tried removing those channels from my lineup, but the 630 doesn’t care, and wants to record from channels which are hidden, aka deselected from the lineup.

Any chance that the coders at Shaw can correct this? What would be best is if we could select at least three channels WE want to specify for ‘smart’ recordings, NOT the 630.

I don’t want to JUST select Ch. 132 either, because I’d like airings going west from T.O. to be available as well.
I just don’t want it recording before the Toronto airing. Why is irrelevant.
Anyone have another solution? Is there a way to select more than one, specific set of channels to record from?

#2,963 ·
Not sure that is new behaviour. I believe it has always tried to record from the earliest time slot - MPEG4 was preferred over MPEG2 as it used less space. The choices are new or all then, specific channel, HD only SD only, all channels. The only other factor is the priority in PVR options.

#2,964 ·
Right, but before, those east coast channels were higher up on the map, numerically speaking, so the 630 used to choose Toronto then Vancouver, since selecting HD-only ignored the 300’s in SD.

If the Shaw coding folks could let us choose three channels that would be great. But I guess that’s not likely. Or code the 630 so that ‘hidden’, deselected channels are removed from the ‘smart’ equation.