Shaw Direct Picture Quality - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-11, 09:07 AM

the difference is striking?

As a long time Starchoice HD subscriber, I was shocked to see the PQ of a new Bell HD install I recently helped to arrange. The movie network looks good - but pretty much all of the other HD channels would barely qualify as being described as HD....

How do they stay in business with this?

Despite all of the heartache associated with the pathetically late software release for SD - I'm not tempted to switch at all. Is it because Bell compresses many of their feeds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-11, 09:52 AM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by browny75 View Post
Is it because Bell compresses many of their feeds?
It is not "compression" itself, it is determined on how much bandwidth they allow. Some people would call Bell TV's HD quality as "HD Lite".

The picture quality and customer service are the two really big positives that Shaw Direct has over Bell TV.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-11, 09:52 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's the BTV thread on the topic. As was mentioned in post 1 of this thread, BTV compress and change the format of all channels to 720P. Please no more on that topic in this Shaw Direct thread.

picture quality

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-02-21, 08:38 PM
Rookie

Hi...I must be missing something here...We switched from Bell Fibe to SD yesterday, and the HD quality is laughable at best. Watching any type of fast pace sports or action scenes are so hard to watch with all the pixelation around the fast moving objects. I called SD tech support and that was a joke...He had me do two hard resets, adjust configurations on the box but still bad. He then said I had to adjust my tv settings. I'm a pretty technical guy, and I've had this HD TV (Sharp Aquos LCD with 120hz refresh rate), and have had a few different providers hooked up to it and have had flawless HD. I tried to get a service tech call, but it was like pulling teeth. He kept inferring that it had to be my TV and not the box because the HDPVR630 was so advanced, and the signal power coming in was great.

I am now waiting on a call back from the next tier of service, but no service call and i've only had it hooked up for a day.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-02-21, 09:35 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Check the Sharpness setting on your TV. Try a setting closer to the bottom end - like 10-20 out of 100. Also turn off the automatic settings on your TV, like edge enhancements. Use the "user" or similar picture mode before changing settings. Most TVs will remember the settings for each input, so if you've switched inputs, that may also have an effect if you changed the settings on your "original" input.

Bell Fibe has a very "soft" (720P) source picture which doesn't show macroblocking. A 1080i "harder" picture from SD does. Here's the FAQ on Optimizing your TV. I've seen this on my optimization travels.

FAQ - What You Need To Do To Your New HDTV

And here's a useful post: HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

Strange - a post from you in 2015 shows you with Bell Sat? (but the picture on Bell Sat is similar to Fibe (both 720P source material)

Installation Questions - See Links in Post 1.

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-02-24, 10:43 AM

I have to agree w/ Checkers. I have had Shaw Direct for 6 months now. I had Shaw Cable for many years and the picture quality was generally quite good. I had always heard that Star Choice/ Shaw Direct had good pq as well.

Some channels and certain programs the quality is good, but more often it is poor. Fast moving pictures are definitely the worst for blocking and artifacts.

Perhaps part of the problem is that I am coming off of a four year period of being a chord cutter and watching ota.

I have found their call centres to be as good as any of their competitors. At least their call centres are located in Canada. I ended up w/ Shaw because I refused to be forced in to a contract to receive a competitive price.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-02-24, 01:29 PM

I can only say that for us, the HD PQ is absolutely wonderful. We have a Sony 4K TV and it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between the Shaw picture and broadcast OTA at 1080i. This is with both the 600 and 630 receivers.

Because we don't have a Bell set-up we can't compare the images but based on what 57 said, it would have to be inferior because it is only 720p.

Having said that, Standard def. channels on Shaw are not a pretty picture. And the larger the TV screen is, the worse it is. That's why when they were having problems with the HD channels RDS and RDS2, it was not a pleasant experience. Just wish all channels were HD and be done with Standard Def.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-02-24, 01:54 PM

I agree about the standard def channels. They are bad PQ when stretched out to fit the screen which you have to do with them if you don't want those annoying bars With respect to the comparisons, we have found that Shaw Direct is better than Fibe, Fibe is better than cable, and OTA beats all of them. A lot of PQ is due to your TV and the settings on it.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-02-24, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableredneck View Post
...Fibe is better than cable...
A bit OT for this thread, but I disagree completely. Fibe is 720P and soft. Most Cable (certainly Rogers Ontario) provides the channel without downconverting to 720P, leaving 1080i as 1080i and 720P as 720P when sent to your home. All else is not equal, so format is not the only criteria, certainly the compression methods and bitrate are different too - the topic for another thread.

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 06:57 PM

I have had Bell Satellite before, I now have Shaw Direct for 18 years (6 receivers) and have Direct TV. I am surprised at people saying that Shaw Direct has better picture quality than anyone. I find it by far the worst out of the three. My system is professionally calibrated, audio and video, and my screen is 174" so I notice any issues what so ever. I watch Direct TV as much as I can because it is by far the best, there are some channels I don't even notice compression artifacts or mosquito noise at all. Last nights Leaf game had terrible video quality on Shaw Direct, not to mention the audio only coming through in stereo...........but that's something else I have been trying to get fixed for over a year, it's now in the hands of The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-01-03, 02:17 PM
KMD
Rookie

Picture Quality - Sports

Hi everyone,
I've had Shaw for a few months now and am satisfied for the most part.

However - watching football I notice that the picture is fuzzy as the camera pans across the field. The greens/grass in particular go fuzzy the most.
As soon as the player stops it seems ok.
I notice this sometimes in Hockey as well.
Movies and regular TV - not an issue.

HD PVR from Shaw and a 58" Panasonic plasma.

I did not notice this with Bell.

Thanks .............Ken
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-01-03, 02:52 PM

1. Try various output settings on the PVR (I assume it's a 630). 1080i may be better than 720P for example.

2. Bell downconverts and sends all signals as 720P, therefore they can look "softer" and you don't notice the various artifacts as much.

3. Perhaps a proper optimization of the TV would help reduce these sorts of artifacts. For example, turn off any edge enhancements, other automatic settings and reduce the sharpness to say 25 out of 100.

4. Here are a few relevant FAQs:

FAQ - HDTV Formats

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

FAQ - What You Need To Do To Your New HDTV

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-01-06, 03:24 PM

Had both (currently SD) - Bell in my opinion is better overall.

Example -Watch CTV Toronto (HD) and the pixelation is terrible!

Cheers
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-08-04, 05:07 PM

Picture quality on ctvnewsnet hd

Has anyone noticed that the scrolling news feed at the bottom of the screen seems to have a shake in it? A few other channels I have tried have what looks like dropped frames from compression.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 2017-08-04, 10:35 PM

Just did a hard reset and all is back to normal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.