Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-20, 01:57 AM

Ditto on that one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-20, 07:33 AM

I switched too and am very happy about it. However I would not want ShawDirect to go out of business because there would not be much competition left seeing as we have such little competition to begin with.

I really hope they adopt a new line of receivers. It would be ideal if they got TiVo to work on their system. If they went in on a joint effort with TiVo and Motorola they would likely come out with the very best PVR. The other thing they need to do is watch their pricing. When I joined them in 2005, I was paying around $43. When I left them recently, my bill was $64. They just bumped me up another $4 per month. It's unreal what they are charging but not delivering a good product. Here's hoping that they'll wake up!

Now that I've left them my bill is now $26 per month and the PVR is awesome.
post #48 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-20, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riko
I don't see any difference with the HD picture either.
No offense to you but the difference in PQ quality is VERY noticeable, especially on the American HD channels. I have both so I get to compare their greatness or lack thereof everyday.

9242 | HR23-600 | HTPC i7 | ISF calibrated & patched KURO KRP-600M(Only 500 made by Pio) & 3 cats

post #49 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-20, 01:57 PM

I currently have both too - the Bell 9241 PVR and the StarChoice/ShawDirect DSR530. One of the reasons I stayed with Shaw/Star for so long was due to the fact people were saying picture quality was poorer with Bell. I actually find the SD picture quality better as it is smoother with Bell. Starchoice had a lot of artifacts on their SD channels. On the HD channels, I notice no difference at all. I will say that my ShawDirect 530 is picking up Fox from Spokane. With Bell I'm picking it up from Boston. I truly don't notice a big difference in quality - just the news is different. :-)

The thing I hated with ShawDirect is their HDCP issue. I could not plug the DVI to HDMI cable through my high end receiver as it would not work. With Bell it works thank God as I've swapped my PS3 HDMI cable to the 9241 to test it. I'm going to be buying an HDMI cable specifically for the 9241 next week. For now, I'm running it through component - the same as ShawDirect, and I can't be more emphatic that the picture quality is not worse, but in fact better on the SD channels.

My subscription to ShawDirect runs out in October. At that time I'll just happily have the one.

I see you are using the 9242, perhaps the 9241 loans itself to a better picture.

My television is a 50" Pioneer Elite. One of the best plasmas ever made. If there was something wrong with the picture quality I would know.
post #50 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-20, 02:33 PM

Angry

Can`t find the Philly/Saints game on Sunday ticket & the guide is wrong, if they are taking 29 bucks a month from you is a correct guide too much to ask?
post #51 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-20, 03:26 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger399 View Post
Can`t find the Philly/Saints game on Sunday ticket & the guide is wrong, if they are taking 29 bucks a month from you is a correct guide too much to ask?
In HD it is on 421. In SD it is on 427. The guide is messed up on the upper half of the SD channels but it only takes a few seconds to scroll through them. It seems it is too much to ask though, just like it is too much to ask to have a late afternoon game in HD on channel 421.
post #52 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-20, 08:46 PM

FunkyTown on Monday night watch Letterman & Conan O'Brien at 11:35PM, or for an apples to apples at 2:35AM on both ShawDirect & Bell in HD. Then tell me there's no difference. I work in consumer electronics I see it everyday, and no its not my TV's or or receivers etc..

9242 | HR23-600 | HTPC i7 | ISF calibrated & patched KURO KRP-600M(Only 500 made by Pio) & 3 cats
post #53 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-20, 09:38 PM

I have set timers on both PVRs to record these shows.
post #54 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 09:44 PM

Looks like you are very happy with your DSR530 and Shaw Direct Kittys. Why would you pay for both Bell and SD? Is it to get some of the channels that one doesn't carry? Oh well, to each his own.

50" Pioneer 5010FD Plasma, Yamaha HTR-8063, Infinity speakers TSS-1200, Optik TV, Apple TV, PS3, Harmony ONE
post #55 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 10:08 AM

I get Bell free through work, so I get the best of both worlds I guess. I just keep Shaw Direct for right now because of the sharper picture in HD on American channels + plus no Global,CTV crappy sim-subs. If Bell goes to mpeg 4 then who knows.

post #56 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 04:24 PM

I watched the episode of Letterman with Obama and actually find the Bell picture is a bit more vibrant in color. As far as details, the pours in people's skin and such is the same.

I've been heavily involved with electronics all my life too. I know that some equipment can behave differently depending on when your PVR was manufactured and the model. We have different model numbers. My machine was manufactured May 2009. I would not leave Starchoice for the picture quality, but I'm glad I did as I'm more than pleased with Bell's.

You are right, they do simsub, but only when the same show is playing on both networks. So I choose to record from the Canadian network. It works great. I skip commercials anyhow. Many of my shows are not subbed because the Canadian station doesn't carry the show.
post #57 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 07:26 PM

FunkyTown I'm not going to argue with what you think you see. If your happy than great I'm happy for you because that's what counts. All I can say is at work we have 5 TV's professionally calibrated for reference viewing. Two Pioneers 60" Pro141FD, 50" Pro111FD, 2 Panasonic's 58"Z850, 50" Z800 & my least fav a Sony XBR8 series (working on getting a Pana V10 done next). Some even use the 9241 not the 9242. And on these sets as on my own calibrated sets we see a difference. As a side note the best picture we see on any of them is actually Rogers HD(Toronto), ShawD #2 Bell #3. Shame I live just outside Rogers country

If you wish to continue we should move this convo to the Bell vs ShawDirect thread I would think. If not enjoy Bell its a good PVR and the Oasis,Equator channels are good PQ too.

post #58 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 07:32 PM

Yea I'm extremely pleased with the quality. I'm glad I did this test as it verifies the fact that my setup is perfect. The Pioneer TVs are truly the best plasmas and will take an SD signal and make it look very good. I assume that has something to do with it.

I'm happy that ShawDirect has loyal fans as there needs to be competition. So this is fine with me.
post #59 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-27, 02:04 AM
Rookie

Shaw has taken out Star Choice in Alberta now too:

Increase of monthly bill for the same channels I was receiving with Star Choice, there was no upgrade in channels and no other offers to go with it, just pay what they say kind of thing. {{Which would be: 'Now you can pay higher for our services because we are no longer Star Choice. Glad to know you noticed your bill increase on your new bill! THANKS FROM SHAW DIRECT' }}

Its not fair that Shaw can take over Star Choice and increase the prices without letting us know in advance. I, as a paying customer: I have the say so.
I am the paying customer, not them, and I dont say its ok, PLUS I never received any notice they were doing so. NOT FAIR.

Why is it that WE who pay for the services have no right to 'notice of price increase'?. WE all did sign up for the package prices we wanted and now they are costing us more just because some top dollar company was richer or better than the other? Does that make sense? :-|
post #60 of 547 (permalink) Old 2009-09-27, 06:23 AM

As long as I was with Starchoice they have raised their prices annually. When I joined them my bill was around $43 per month. When I left I was paying $63. Every year the cost went up with them. They always gave themselves very decent raises.

Tags
complaint , rant , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.