Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread - Page 36 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #526 of 547 (permalink) Old 2015-11-15, 11:36 AM

Some things have more then 1 pg. of info in the guide it will say 1/3 or whatever and you push the info button again to access them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #527 of 547 (permalink) Old 2015-12-15, 06:40 PM

I got my next statement and they raised my rates. After I was told that my price would be the same for a year. The supervisor told me the agent didn't know about the price raise and my pricing was "loyalty pricing", not promotional pricing. To me, there is no difference, but to them there is. Good Grief!!
post #528 of 547 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 10:05 PM
Veteran

Trying to put acct on vacation but on hold for 37 minutes so far and waiting on chat for 15 minutes so far.
Phone came through, about 47 minutes.

post #529 of 547 (permalink) Old 2016-03-02, 01:22 AM

use the call back feature beats waiting on the phone
post #530 of 547 (permalink) Old 2016-03-02, 04:49 AM
Veteran

I've used callback when offered. It wasn't offered. Is there a way to select it on your own?
post #531 of 547 (permalink) Old 2016-03-02, 10:20 AM

I think that the automated telephone answering service at Shaw Direct has a menu tree like a computer program that can only provide options that are programmed. I believe that the option for call-back is only available when the service detects a wait of X minutes.

47 minute wait on the phone without the option for "call back" is something new or broken. Next time you speak to agent, this would be a great comment to them.
post #532 of 547 (permalink) Old 2017-01-13, 11:33 AM

DSR5** series forced obsoloescence by Shaw

I just found out yesterday, purely by chance in a conversation with a Shaw Direct CSR, that anyone owning DSR5** series equipment won't be able to sell it or gift it to anyone else. I was told no one (aka a person who tries to add those pieces of equipment to their list of receivers) would be able to activate these receivers. So, if you own one, they're dead-in-the-water.

When did they make that law? The CSR told me "a couple of months ago", but I saw no proof of it sent to my email address, the same place they send my bill. Did anyone else get notification of this? I still receive all HD material that it originally received, and it's a perfectly fine receiver for a spare room, garage, etc., and will be until sometime in 2019.

Oh, they made me the big offer of a $99 DSR600, no clock, display, multiple outputs, which I can buy on Kajiji for $50.

Am I the only one that's surprised this is the path Shaw is forcing its' customers down?

Essentially, I can't sell it, or even transfer it to a friends account, as Shaw won't re-activate it.

Dumb

Last edited by tvmaster; 2017-01-13 at 12:09 PM.
post #533 of 547 (permalink) Old 2017-01-13, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
I still receive all HD material that it originally received, and it's a perfectly fine receiver for a spare room, garage, etc., and will be until sometime in 2019.
You can continue to use it until 2019, but it will gradually receive fewer and fewer channels starting in a few months. The DSR5xx series are technologically obsolete since they can't receive MPEG-4 signals. See this thread for the schedule:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-s...-mpeg-4-a.html
post #534 of 547 (permalink) Old 2017-01-13, 02:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
I just found out yesterday, purely by chance in a conversation with a Shaw Direct CSR, that anyone owning DSR5** series equipment won't be able to sell it or gift it to anyone else. I was told no one (aka a person who tries to add those pieces of equipment to their list of receivers) would be able to activate these receivers. So, if you own one, they're dead-in-the-water.

When did they make that law? The CSR told me "a couple of months ago", but I saw no proof of it sent to my email address, the same place they send my bill. Did anyone else get notification of this? I still receive all HD material that it originally received, and it's a perfectly fine receiver for a spare room, garage, etc., and will be until sometime in 2019.

Oh, they made me the big offer of a $99 DSR600, no clock, display, multiple outputs, which I can buy on Kajiji for $50.

Am I the only one that's surprised this is the path Shaw is forcing its' customers down?

Essentially, I can't sell it, or even transfer it to a friends account, as Shaw won't re-activate it.

Dumb
Seriously, why would you believe anything that one rep told you? The level of misinformation and lack of information that is so prevalent today is beyond belief.

There is no logical reason for this. I have some dormant receivers and would use them to replace any <600 receiver model. If they refused, I would just demand a working model. I don't plan to pay for any imposed obsolescence.
Leafs13 likes this.
post #535 of 547 (permalink) Old 2017-03-15, 09:41 AM
Rookie

Decommissioning the 505s may also be a backhanded way for Shaw Direct to fulfill their legal obligation to the CRTC for the Emergency Alert Broadcast System. The 505s do not receive these signals. I say backhanded because this gives them a way to force customers to upgrade and have them pay for it. SD is woefully behind in this respect. Bell sent out free receivers way back before the deadline, in 2015 if I recall correctly.
post #536 of 547 (permalink) Old 2017-03-15, 10:39 AM

Wow, I didn't know that. A box that can't have movies ruined by thirty seconds of air-raid sirens? I think I'll put her back in commission then
post #537 of 547 (permalink) Old 2017-03-15, 02:10 PM
Rookie

Just received a letter today from SD offering me a free rental of a MPEG-4 compatible HD receiver. Fine print says its a previously rented refurbished unit. I didn't even know SD rented receivers. Also mentions decommissioning the 505 as part of the offer (can't resell or reuse).
post #538 of 547 (permalink) Old 2017-03-20, 12:00 AM

Several months ago I sold my three old 530's on Craig's List for $50 each. Then I listed five 505's, one of which was new in the box with all original cables. I told everyone to confirm the serial numbers with Shaw D and by this time they were all being told that Shaw D wouldn't activate them. A couple of weeks ago I took them all to electronic recycling.

It stands to reason to me that while 500 series still work for now, Shaw D wants to get them out of their system where ever they can so they won't re-activate them on accounts.

AE_Collector

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #539 of 547 (permalink) Old 2017-03-20, 05:17 PM

Decommissioning 500 series units because SD have replaced that specific unit with a 600 series unit is legitimate.

Decommissioning 500 series units for any other reason is a very dubious practice. CRTC rules only require each subscriber to have 1 unit capable of handling emergency alerts I believe.
post #540 of 547 (permalink) Old 2017-03-21, 01:21 AM

It would be fine if they gave you a 605 for less than $50, but a 600 for $99 is robbery. No component outs, no multiple audio outs, and no visual clock.
Doesn't seem like a fair deal...

Tags
complaint , rant , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.