Home Away From Home Program - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-04, 05:32 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
You should have no problem. I bought a place in PV and had a local supplier install a 75e dish. Then we hooked it up to the 530 that i had activated in Vancouver and voila it worked. No calls needed. Then I activated 2x505 as I purchased more TVs and called them from PV each time. No problem except as noted below.

Just make sure the receivers have been cleared with Shaw first. Call them with their serial numbers and check. If they come from a delinquent account or they remain activated on another account, they will not activate them on your account. That happened on one of the 505s and it was an a full account with every channel subscribed for about a year before it got deactivated and we switched it. Free TSN HD, movies and other specialties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-04, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Really? What's the difference. If Danny had eight homes, would it be different?
No it wouldn't.

But I'm presuming that Danny is an honest man of modest means and would limit himself to one installation at home and one installation at his cottage in a legitmately-established HAFH account. In that case, if his children remained at home and Danny went to his cottage, and if both home and cottage were tuned in at the same time, there is no real intent on anyone's part to grossly defraud the provider, and IMHO should be allowed.

If, on the other hand, Danny has eight homes and wants to furnish them all with installatons, he could not legitmately do it by establishing a HAFH account because the provider would/could/should limit him to one home and one cottage (hence the term "cottage account"). I do believe that an attempt to defraud the provider by adding eight residences on one HAFH account can be tracked by the provider in this age of technology........can't it?

Furthermore...if Danny could afford eight residences (or if he weren't an honest man), he probably would not have asked the question in the first place........
post #78 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 12:33 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
I wonder about people with home, cottage and RV or boat. My buddy falls in that category (actually a boat and an RV).

post #79 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 04:17 PM

Shaw Direct advertises the mobile dishes for RV's and Boats on their web site, but they do not sell them,
I have seen dishes on some Tractor Trailer units too.
post #80 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 11:54 PM

Turning Recievers off and on.

Hi, If I have the home away from home program for my cabin. Now lets say I have 5 Recievers at home, and want 3 or 4 out at the cabin, will Shaw Direct, let you have them recievers, turn the recievers off at the cabin, and leave the ones on at home for when your at home, and then when at the cabin, turn the house ones off and turn the cabin ones off? or would you have to carry the recivers back and forth.

Thanks!
post #81 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-12, 06:52 AM

you're only allowed 6 receivers active on 1 acount. it doesn't state 6 in total.
I can't answer your question but im curiose, call csr.

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #82 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-12, 05:09 PM

4 or 5 receivers at the cabin? That's some cabin!
I run 2 at the cottage...I applied for the HAFH program a couple years ago, faxed in a hydro bill etc but never heard if it was activated or not. The receivers all work but they never took the fee that was stated. Ever since i have been afraid of the dish needing realignment in case im not on the system with the authorisation.

Shaw Direct DVR630 / DVR 630/ 605, Panny VT55", Sony XBR4, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS3! WDLive
post #83 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-12, 09:27 PM

I did the same thing and faxed in all of my info - they never acknowledged it by charging me any money.
post #84 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-16, 07:19 PM

I would try to register all your receivers, and wait for Shaw to comment on you being over the limit. The Shaw Installer mentioned to me that they are OK with individual users being over the limit as long as they are in two locations maximum. This was in 2008.
post #85 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-17, 02:03 AM

Thanks for the Replies,
kcowan- Can I activate them online? I have always just phoned in to get them activated.
The response I got from the CSR was you can have as many as you want, just not more than 6 activated. I would have to call in to have the ones activated that I want to use and turn the others off etc.
post #86 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-18, 11:45 AM

I always call in. I think the activation would be no problem but I have never de-activated online. The installer said to just activate the new one. He implied that de-activation was not necessary because it will be done twice a year.
post #87 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-24, 02:40 PM

I've read that if you have more than 3 receivers activated on your account, SD may call you randomly to request that you have all your receivers at one location. What information do they ask for when they call, as I will have 3 at home, and probably 2 at my cottage.
post #88 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-25, 09:31 AM
Veteran

They have never called me, and I have 4 receivers, none connected to the phone line, although am not using HAFH.
post #89 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-25, 12:40 PM

Sometimes when we get to the cottage, I have to request a reset but I do it online.
post #90 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-07-25, 05:02 PM

I just want to make sure I have the info available for them if they call so I don't get accused of account splitting. I am back and forth to the cottage so often all year round that I don't feel like calling everytime to activate and de activate, plus I want them working if my brother or sister bring their familie's to my cottage also... I would think they just want the unit ID ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.