Home Away From Home Program - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 05:39 PM
Veteran

The receivers operate independently of each other, so yes.
For PPV you would need to use the automated system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 06:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineman View Post
I am looking at getting Shaw Direct, do I need to let Shaw Direct know every time I want to use one of my receivers in my motor home when on a trip.
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineman View Post
Also if my kids are home and me and my wife are away in our motor home can we still use Shaw direct in both locations?.
Yes

From the website:

Quote:
I'm travelling this winter. Can I take my dish with me?

Yes! Cottage goers and RVers can experience their holidays away with great Shaw Direct programming. Including access to over 500 television channels. The true portability of our satellite TV product allows people to remain connected to their communities and programming, regardless of where they actually are.
post #33 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 10:03 PM
Rookie

Thanks all

post #34 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 05:33 AM
Veteran

Just to confirm as one who uses it in an RV down south but not PPV. Works well.
So far US officials have taken away my groceries and dog food when crossing but not our CDN tv dish and tripod, etc.
post #35 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-07, 03:16 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
If you rely on the contract's fine print, you will noy enjoy you SD service! Just relax and follow the advice from this forum
post #36 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-07, 03:37 PM
Member #1

I want to make it clear that Digital Home does not condone satellite piracy or violating the terms of service with any provider, however, this policy of Shaw's has always been a source of confusion.

I'm not sure what Shaw Direct's policy is so I will leave this thread open for our Shaw reps to clarify what is and isn't acceptable with regards to all this.
post #37 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-07, 03:38 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Also if my kids are home and me and my wife are away in our motor home can we still use Shaw direct in both locations?.
Threads were merged by admin. Per post 1 of this thread, I believe that the purpose of HAFH is to allow usage at various locations, however, not at two locations at the same time, which would represent account splitting. From post 1:
Quote:
HAFH is NOT to be used for watching programming at two locations simultaneously. You are responsible for ensuring us that the programming is being watched at one address at a time, not both.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #38 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-07, 06:54 PM
Veteran

Account splitting, seriously?

Example: if my immediate family of four members are all home watching different programs on separate TVs, how does this differ from two of those family members being at the cottage or the RV watching a program at the same time as immediate family members who stayed home? Answer: It doesn't.

If Shaw Direct didn't agree with this, why would they send me, at no charge, a second dish for my RV?
post #39 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-07, 07:09 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
This thread is not about what is reasonable, it's about what is allowed by the provider's terms. If you have two different geographical locations, viewing at the same time, with most providers you require two accounts.

For example, even if only one person in each home is watching, but there are are two homes (single neighbours for example), then two accounts are required, even though this is less than a family of 10 in one home.

Quote:
If Shaw Direct didn't agree with this, why would they send me, at no charge, a second dish for my RV?
Because, as outlined in post 1 of this thread, you're allowed to have two locations, however, not operating at the same time.

It would be good to have a Shaw Direct rep provide the answer

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #40 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 12:21 PM
Member #1

57, while I understand what you are saying, from all appearances it seems that Shaw Direct is saying no to account splitting but practically speaking is encouraging it by sending Starchoice a Dish.

This kind of "don't ask and don't tell" policy is what the cable companies have been complaining about for years.

IMO, The simple solution is for Shaw Direct to have one receiver be the "HAFH" receiver and the rest Home receivers and only allow the HAFH or Home receivers to be active at one time.

Regardless, I'll re-iterate, we really need a clear and unambiguous statement from Shaw Direct.
post #41 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 05:02 PM
Veteran

It is not account splitting. My wife and I take our RV on trips and take the dish they gave me with us. The PVR's record programs at home (with no one else watching) in case we miss them on the road(which we do miss quite a few, having other things to do of course) but we get the occasional bit of news or a program or 2 while in the RV. That is one case which is not account splitting and that was why they used to give out the dishes. I'm not sure they do any more.
The more we discuss this the more the chance of things being restricted. Why don't we leave it as SD allows an RV'er to watch TV on the road!

I personally know of other providers' customers that are account splitting. I know of no SD customers myself, that are.
post #42 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 08:30 AM

When I ordered my equipment and set up my account 2 weeks ago today(Install this Friday) I was flat out told by the rep that I could buy another 630 take it down to my residence in Montana and leave it there. The only thing is that they can`t ship equipment down there so I would have to get it here first. Then I said would I have to shut down my home receiver first before I go and then activate the second 630 down there? He said it didn't matter much.
post #43 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 08:40 AM
Member #1

Quote:
Account splitting, seriously?

Example: if my immediate family of four members are all home watching different programs on separate TVs, how does this differ from two of those family members being at the cottage or the RV watching a program at the same time as immediate family members who stayed home? Answer: It doesn't.
Account Splitting by definition is using the same account to watch programming in different domiciles.

The cable companies argue, and the CRTC agreed, that whether that second location is a House, cottage or RV, it's still account splitting.

Blackloz's comments suggest that SD customer service reps are actively encouraging account splitting despite the fact the CRTC has forbid it.
post #44 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 09:47 AM
Veteran

That.

I am not lawyer, but my belief is a that a pay TV subscription (IE, a license to the content) is legally bound to the single location (domicile) it is registered to, not the people withinh that domicile. That would mean one using one subscription for more than one domicle would be account splitting, since eithe rone location does not have a legal license, or are not getting their just revenue for service at that domicile.
post #45 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 10:50 AM
Member #1

Again, it would be nice to get a clear and concise explanation from Shaw Direct on what is allowed and what is not allowed perhaps with some examples. Until then, we are kind of left to guess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.