Home Away From Home Program - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 299 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 02:19 PM
Veteran

I believe the whole issue had to do with broadcasters getting shortchanged on possible revenue by not getting money from extra subscriptions where they thought they should. You don't have that issue with cell phones and internet.

I didn't think that they let you assign the same number to two phones unless something has changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 299 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 03:12 PM
Veteran

It exactly has to do with the broadcasters getting short changed.
Their content is licensed on a per address basis, on the assumption one address per account.
post #18 of 299 (permalink) Old 2009-08-12, 10:22 AM

Which is an outdated idea in this increasingly mobile culture. Both satellite companies had no problem with cottage accounts until the cable monopolies started whining. It's not dishonest or immoral to take one of your STBs with you when you go camping nor should it be deemed as such. There is a difference between account splitting and having a secondary residence where the same family members are the primary users in both residences. There is something to be said about fair and reasonable usage.

post #19 of 299 (permalink) Old 2010-05-30, 06:11 PM
Rookie

Can anyone confirm if this program is currently available?

Its cottage season again, and I'd like to take one of our receivers to the cottage with us, and although I know I can simply buy another dish and hook it up myself, I'd prefer to get the dish installed at the cottage professionally, as it might be tricky due to all the trees.
post #20 of 299 (permalink) Old 2010-05-30, 08:43 PM

Well I currently have the Home away from Home set up. I did the installation work but my cabin address is registered with SD so they know about it. I guess it could be Grandfathered though, but I haven't heard anything about the program going away.
post #21 of 299 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 02:14 PM
Rookie

The HAFH program is still alive and well, though I don't think it's being widely advertised. It's a good deal. I recently paid $99.00 CAD and received the 75E dish needed for HD, and better reception in the rain, for my place in Mexico. A local satellite guy had us up and running in no time. You will need to speak to a different department (than those that answer the phones) to order the HAFH program.
post #22 of 299 (permalink) Old 2010-06-15, 10:15 PM

Home away from home program

I have Saw at my home and at a secondary residence in ski country.Will I also be able to have it installed at my summer cabin or will I have to remove the dish at the chalet? Shaw did the Ski Chalet installation for free. Do they not do this anymore at secondary residences?
Also, why can't long-time customers afford themselves of Shaw's offer of $299 on refurbished PVR's, like the new customers ca?
post #23 of 299 (permalink) Old 2010-06-15, 10:32 PM
Rookie

llynda just go to the Brick and buy a 530. They are selling them there for 299.00
post #24 of 299 (permalink) Old 2010-06-15, 10:50 PM

Where are you located? My Brick is charging $498 for the PVR.
post #25 of 299 (permalink) Old 2010-06-21, 03:41 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
You will have to buy a dish for your summer cabin. Then buy a receiver. Both on craigslist. When you have it all hooked up, call Shaw D to activate it.

Dealing with Best Buy is a separate issue.

If you try to get Shaw to do the install, just tell them that the chalet is no longer yours. What they really care about is how many receivers you have on your account.
post #26 of 299 (permalink) Old 2010-07-14, 01:26 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I have Saw at my home and at a secondary residence in ski country.Will I also be able to have it installed at my summer cabin or will I have to remove the dish at the chalet? Shaw did the Ski Chalet installation for free. Do they not do this anymore at secondary residences?
They charge $99. to install at another location. You also have to fax them some proof of ownership of the property...A utility or tax bill for example.
They seem to be a little bit confused aboout which "crews" work in the various regions, so in my case I had to actually find a local installer, get their crew number and call SD to tell them the crew number that would do it.

Now hopefully the installer will be able to get a "look" at the satellites through all our trees.
post #27 of 299 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 08:04 PM
Rookie

Have Winter Home in Fort Myers Fl and here in Ont

We have a winter home in Fort Myers and we take our PVR down there with us when we drive down and bring it back home. We bought a HD dish from SD a couple of years ago and one of the chaps in our park installed it. Not very difficult. There are always chaps around willing to help. We called the tech dept of SD.....on the 800 number and they helped us thru the installation. We don't have anyone living in our home here in Ontario when we are in Fl ..and when we come home for Christmas we have another HD receiver to watch tv with.
post #28 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 03:53 PM
Rookie

Traveling with Shaw Direct Question.

I am looking at getting Shaw Direct, do I need to let Shaw Direct know every time I want to use one of my receivers in my motor home when on a trip.
Also if my kids are home and me and my wife are away in our motor home can we still use Shaw direct in both locations?. I talked to Shaw and the person I talked to could not give me a straight answer.
post #29 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 04:07 PM
Veteran

Officially this isn't technically allowed, but Shaw tends to look the other way, and even used to provide a second dish to people as part of the "home away from home" program. (I believe that was eliminated....)

The current terms of service say that all receivers on your account must remain in your residence at all times, so you would be breaking the terms of service. Can you get away with doing so? Probably, unless your account is red flagged for some reason.
post #30 of 299 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 05:33 PM
Rookie

Thanks TJ77
Can you tell me if we were in our RV and kids at home could we both be recording a program at the same time on each receiver? Not sure if this would ever happen but just checking. And how about pay per view would we just call in or can we do it off of the receiver when on the road with our RV?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.