Christmas gift for parents - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-07, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Christmas gift for parents

Looking to get a 505 system for my folks for Christmas. They had mentioned previously that they were considering Star Choice mostly due to being able to get the Detroit networks.

Anyway, one question I have is what size dish is supplied with the 505 kit? The 60E or 75E? I read somewhere that the dish wasn't actually included; it would be brought by the installer on installation day.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-07, 01:09 PM
QCK

They will get the 60E dish which will be brought by the installer on the day of installation as long as they do not live in the Northern parts of Canada.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-07, 02:15 PM

Thumbs up

Hey, you can request a self install and they will ship the dish to you plus credit you 50.00 dollars for the install. This is what i had done here in Winnipeg. Anyway the 505 is a great gift for your parents.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-07, 04:32 PM
QCK

I tried with two different CSRs to do a self install and the flat out would not allow. They said the only way that could happen us if you lived in an area where they would not normally have a tech available (far North).

I was given a free three line install and when the installer came he only had enough cable for one line and ended up using my own RG6 cable. He promised to drop off an equivalent amount of cable the next week but never did come by.

Anyway, it is a nice present for your parents!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-08, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Okay, thanks for the information. I picked up a 505 at Best Buy yesterday for the regular $199 price. The folks are buying a new HDTV for Christmas so I thought this would be a nice supplement to that. I'll let them activate and take advantage of the programming credits.

They live in Windsor so I'm guessing it would be a no-go for a self-install. Still, locking in the 107.3 and 111.1 birds looks a little more tricky than simply pointing at 91 as you would for an ExpressVu install.

Now the $64 question is how busy will the installers be in the period after Christmas day!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-08, 10:44 AM

Way to go! This is how i mamage to get the self install. It would of taken close to three weeks for me. But it could be faster in Windsor.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-08, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing it would be a no-go for a self-install.
Forget about the self install idea. Your parents will NOT be covered under the Simple Satellite program (Free dish service call) if you go that route. Too bad you don't know a SC door to door Sales rep there. The going new sub price in Windsor for a HD receiver is $25 with dish installation included.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.