Picture Calibration with Star Choice - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-01-09, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Picture Calibration with Star Choice

I have a DVR530 hooked up on an LCD Projector (Panasonic PT-AE900U) via component video and I want to do some picture / colour calibration.

Does anyone have a recommended way to do this? For my DVD inputs, I've used calibration software such as AVIA or Digital Video Essentials that contain test patterns and colour filters.

Does Star Choice broadcast test patterns or other calibration patterns for colour or otherwise? Or is the only way to do it by guessing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-01-09, 05:09 PM
Veteran

there was a CBC employee who was participating a while ago. He or She was able to run some test patterns late at night to allow rudimentary calibration/resolution checks.

I don't know if they are still around.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-01-09, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
there was a CBC employee who was participating a while ago. He or She was able to run some test patterns late at night to allow rudimentary calibration/resolution checks.

I don't know if they are still around.
That would definitely be helpful. Does anyone know if these test patterns still are broadcasted? If so, anyone know what channel(s) and at what time?

I'd love to record them onto my DVR530 in order to periodically calibrate the picture.

I suppose one other way to perhaps approximate calibration is to connect my DVD player into the video inputs of the DVR530 and do calibrations there (using Avia/DVE).
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-01-09, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Actually, does anyone know if certain stations still do off-the-air sign-offs late at night? I seem to recall some stations would sign off leaving the old SEMPTE colour patterns broadcasting.

Do they still do that?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-01-09, 05:38 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
CBC is no longer running the test pattern.

The only test pattern that I know of is on HDNet (which you may not have on *C).

Official HDNet Test Pattern Discussion

One way to calibrate is to use the settings from the DVD player for that input, transfer any settings if the mode is remembered by input and then do it by eye. I usually find the major change is in the brightness control with minor changes in colour, tint, contrast.

See also the Digital Home FAQ (under help) "What you need to do to your new HDTV" if you haven't already.

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-01-09, 06:17 PM

Run avia through your 530 front pnl input (located under the right side drop down door). Change the input on the 530 using your remote, press - sat -> input.
Front display will change to something along the lines of Aux.
Running Avia through the 530 should give you a very close approximation of the avia signal patterns using the signal processing functions on the 530.

Just a thought
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-01-09, 09:04 PM
ARR

That's a neat idea....

As part of a set up rewrite, I had recommended a set of rudimentary test patterns.
They were designed to be 720x480 pixels which is THE standard for ALL graphics screens and the Broadcom video scaler chip converts that up and down to 480i, 480p, 720p & 1080i.
Thus the suggested OVERSCAN slide would always be accurate and we asked for gray scale and colour bars as well.
This was all part of the fact that overscan might be a real problem for the 207/317 new guide on old/small CRT's that are often mal-adjusted since the new graphics are designed to observe NTSC safe zones and unlike the current DSR5XX IPG's whose menu bars roll off the screen edge, the new ones have defined edges.

The overscan slide is also supposed to be used as part of a real-time screen position adjuster since the existing one has never worked and is too clumsy to use had it worked anyways.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-01-11, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your responses. So it doesn't sound like anyone broadcasts test patterns on Star Choice's lineup right now (no HDNet that I'm aware of at least, and it sounds like CBC no longer broadcasts the SEMPTE pattern after-hours).

I'll just run Avia and/or DVE on my DVD player through the front AUX inputs on my DVR530 to approximate for now.

Oh, and 57, I might be blind but I can't find the FAQ you mention re: calibrating an HDTV.

Cheers...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-01-11, 12:04 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Quote:
I might be blind...
Near the top of this page is a blue bar, on it is the word "help". Click on it and you'll see a link to the Digital Home FAQs.

57 FAQ - What You Need To Do To Your New HDTV (Duplicate, do not delete - many links)

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.