Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

New Firmware Version 48.14

14K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  RuralRouter 
#1 ·
Shaw Direct

Just downloaded. It took about 45 minutes to install. Not much to report on yet. Link above shows changes. Moving channel maps to preferences rather than under admin settings should please some users. Not sure if there is a setting to supress the pop messages about recordings starting and stopping. Wasnt in link above and haven't gone through everything yet.

#3 ·
Nice to see they are keeping on top of things and keeping the software updated. One thing I would love (and have suggested to them in the past) is a 'now & next' banner similar to the Shaw Cable 'Quick bar'. These are very common in the UK and automatically appear when you change channels. Or a 'Mini-guide' like they have also. Those would be useful :)

#4 ·
Suggestion: Recording "End Early" Option

I suggest that Shaw change the option of "end time" for scheduled recordings to allow both "end late" (now allowed) or "END EARLY".

Sometimes I would like to record two shows at the same time, but the previous show lasts an extra minute. That extra minute or two is usually just commercials and a teaser for next week's show.

That minutes creates a recording conflict that cannot always be fixed with a new recording time for one of the shows.

#6 ·
I got it also

Not sure what they did to make it worse this time. I just got this and did a check and they still have the recording starting reminders pop up when you do not want them to and no way I can find to disable them.

Wish one could go back to 2 software versions before.

Option to get rid of emergency alerts, I take off for days at a time and have found these have stopped things from being recorded and done nothing to alert me since I am away.

#7 ·
Downloaded new firmware overnight. This morning, the set-top box just showed "8888" on the face and could not be powered up by remote or the button n the face. Had to unplug it. It rebooted okay, but took a huge amount of time (45 minutes) for the guide to load. Not very encouraging. The guide now features pretty colours when highlighting a show. Pleasant enough, but ultimately unnecessary. I guess we'll see whether the new features really improve the user experience. I'm also curious to see how long it takes for the guide to load after the next STB crash or manual reboot. (but I'm not about to reboot to find out)

#9 ·
I like the new firmware update.

We use the manual timers on rare occasion when there is no other alternative, but the lack of the title of the recorded show is a big downer. Shaw Direct would have to list the names of all portions of the shows included in the manual timer or just list the show that has the most time. It would be much easier to short time the previous show to make room for two shows that follow the shorted show.

Some shows start right away which has important plot information like the show "Motive". It seems that our recordings always start 6 seconds or more late anyway.

#10 ·
Screen Saver Warning

Warning ! when you pause a PVR recording the screen use to go into screen saving mode,
Now is it's a full bright Shaw Promo screen for Pay per view VOD and other junk.
I'll have to see if I can disable this.
I can't believe Shaw would be so stupid as to disable the screen saver by default.

#19 ·
Warning ! when you pause a PVR recording the screen use to go into screen saving mode,
Now is it's a full bright Shaw Promo screen for Pay per view VOD and other junk.
I'll have to see if I can disable this.
I can't believe Shaw would be so stupid as to disable the screen saver by default.
Romany...

that is their new screen saver

i hate it also,,, a screen saver should have the moving logo like before, not stupid advertising for their VOD

#12 ·
Before the update, I had few problems. After the update I can no longer schedule to record a show on the west coast to avoid conflicts with my other shows. I have to do it manually but I can't select record new episodes. I'm trying to record Extant on Wednesdays but to avoid other shows I try to schedule at midnight on the west coast channel. Before the update it would just be set to record at that time each week. Now when I do it, it automatically selects the earlier time instead. It's like it can no longer see the difference between channels just the show. Now I have to remember to set it manually each week. Not happy because I will forget to do it.

#16 ·
Before the update, sometimes a show I used NEW EPISODES to schedule would not be set to record. Reason unknown; no conflicts, previous recordings not running a minute or so over or next recording starting early. I dunno why this occasionally occurred.

When this comes up, we RECORD THIS EPISODE. It shouldn't happen, but this is not a new bug. So far I have not seen this behavior with the new update - I said so far.

Now the guide shows why a show is not being set to record - this is new.

I have successfully deleted shows from UPCOMING EVENTS.

#18 ·
@bluestarz, before the update, "Smart Record" defaulted recording events with a specific channel. With the new firmware, "Smart Record" now defaults to record with channels "SD only" or "HD only" instead of the specific channel you requested the recording to occur. You can change this option by updating the recording event to specify the channel you want the show to record on instead.

#25 ·
Stingray Icon Burn-In

Before the update, audio channel 933 (smooth jazz) would display tune information seconds after the new tune begins. The information would linger for a few seconds and then the screen would go black. Now the information is in large font which I like and displays an unchanging Stingray graphic at the bottom right of the screen which I don't like.

The screen never goes black. The information changes, but the icon lasts as long as the channel is active. The only alternative is to power down the TV set.

Even though I have an LCD display panel, I worry a bit about burn in. Fortunately I normally use another TV in another room to tune to 933 and then turn off that TV set to listen to the music.

I would be livid about the ICON burn in potential if I had a plasma panel! Commercial or medical offices that use Stingray music on their waiting room TV sets should be concerned.

#26 ·
Burn-In, Near-Static Images, Pixel Shifting

Per bravo 1, I emailed Shaw Direct about the new static images. I received a prompt and courteous reply. I like that about Shaw.

The response said that there should be no burn-in due to their use of PIXEL SHIFTING.

I don't understand how an image or text that stays in the same position moving only a few pixels in the same area would not leave a burn-in. Even if the pixels fade in and out and change color(?), I think that an image or text larger than a few pixels would burn-in as a blurred image.

Maybe it is my lack of understanding of the technology, but my perception is that a relatively static image is not good.

Shaw should eliminate static (or near-static) images just to assuage the apprehension of customers to real or just feared burn-in. I hope that this is not an exercise to use new technology for their own internal delight, serving no good purpose for the customer.

Excerpts Quoted Below:

"The Stingray and music channels have what is called pixel shifting. This is very subtle and may not be picked up unless you are looking at it really close. All the pixels will slide to the side just a little bit. As well the titles will fade in and out. This eliminates the possibility of an image being burnt into a TV screen."

"…while the images do shift by a few pixels, it will also fade in and out. This keeps the pixels on the TV from burning in as they are constantly changing colour in the fade."

"I have forwarded your suggestion to our Product and Development team about having a black screen saver developed as an option for a future software updated."

#30 ·
#29 ·
For myself I find when I'm listening to the stingray channels I leave my TV off as I have my sat receiver hooked to my stereo receiver. I guess the drawback in this my stereo amp is always on when I'm watching TV. I just like the clearer better sound from 100 watts pr channel 5 channels & a powered sub of my stereo as opposed to the 3" speakers of my TV.

#31 ·
one thing i've noticed with the new update is when looking at the guide, upcoming airings (option C), it includes ALL the channels, not just the ones I have included in my channel list as it did before. So for the Amazing Race Canada, it lists all the HD and SD CTV channels, not just the HD ones from my list.

#32 ·
I replaced the batteries on my remote and I still find quite a lag between the remote and the receiver. Its definetely not as quick response as it was with previous firmware.

It has nice little changes and I like the conflit resolution system that allows me to control them without having to juggle with priorities.

I still find the time it takes to delete a show to be too long, I dont know when it cant register it and then do the operation in the background like everything else.

#33 ·
Two things on Sunday.
1) The Canadian open ran long and was automatically recorded, and
2) There was a recording conflict, and the 630 selected the western feed to resolve it.

Nicely done Shaw.

OTOH, I experienced Shaw Cable on a holiday and realized how far behind we are...every little helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.