Automating Decora switches incl 3 way - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-02-15, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Automating Decora switches incl 3 way

Want to setup a relatively simple home automation system to essentially timer control various lights with decora style switches.
One key light is wired as a 3 way, although I'm open to changing the wiring on one of the switches as it's never used.

A few things I would like to address:
1. Not nuts about the Lutron Caseta switches as I don't really need dimmers for most. Would prefer to use a company that has simple rocker type switches or similar.
2. Ideally a brand will offer the ability to address 3 way switches
3. My family uses iPhones so ideally Homekit compliant.

Any suggestions? The newly announced Leviton switches seem like what I should look at but not sure if they address 3 way setups.

Thanks

Last edited by LD500; 2017-02-15 at 01:08 PM. Reason: subscribe to email updates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-02-15, 06:29 PM

I use Insteon hub, light switches and lamp modules. It does not require 3 wires to do 3-way control but all of them come with dimmers which are easy to control by hand. There are 2 types of hubs. one is homekit compatible and the other is not. The non-homekit hub is compatible with Logitech Harmony Hub which I use to control my AV and lighting. I also use my iphone, ipad to control lighting I can also check on my lighting while away on vacation.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, i7-920@3.8Ghz
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-02-16, 05:07 AM

Digital Home really is a strange place isn't it? Here, some people want help to know about the routers which is three floors below (never saw the router with his own eyes, just getting the signals from it). And here, someone wants suggestions for his home automation decora...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-02-16, 10:17 AM

I don't understand what you mean "strange". People come here to ask for help, opinion, and advice, and most importantly real world experience of certain equipment or devices. Yes, one can google for reviews, but a lot of these reviews are biased and reviewers receive benefits from product companies, so they have to stay away from direct commments and hide the real truth between the lines. So, I do not find it "stange" at all. There are a huge amount of expertise in the forum members.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, i7-920@3.8Ghz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.