Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Security cameras with night vision - prefer wireless

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ed H 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys! We are looking for a home security system that has the ability to capture the image or video even in the night with clarity. I would prefer a wireless camera. What kind of set up would you recommend for this? How much does it all cost? I would also want to get all the alerts through my smartphone. Any other ideas? I would love to hear all of your recommendations!!

#2 ·
Couple of things to look at with wireless..

A) your wireless network needs to be robust enough. It needs to have a decent signal to WHERE the cameras will be. So some tweeking on your wireless network may be necessarily.
B) Wireless units, while great and no need for network or other types of connections.. is power. The units need to be plugged in.. usually, even for outdoor cameras, is via a regular 2 prong plug in power adapter. So power to where you are putting the cameras is a consideration then as well.

Comparably to say something like a wired POE system..
Where yes you need to get a wire out to there.. but its not electrical.. the power for the camera comes off of the Ethernet cable.
Those system either require a PoE switch.. PoE enjectors... or some of them, from the DVR unit, will do PoE off of its connections.

#3 ·
I am using a couple basic indoor cameras outside under the eaves but the wireless comment is true. Being a stucco home with lots of wire the signal couldn't reach one area I wanted. Putting plugs/receptacles under the eaves for Christmas light turned out to be a good idea though...for the cameras.

#4 ·
That's what I am looking at doing.

I am looking to get 1-2 cameras (have a thread here on it already)..
Doesn't need a DVR.. have a server I can write the stuff to, etc..

PoE for the two cameras gets too expensive... so looking at putting an outlet up in the two spots where I need the cameras... luckily have access from the garage, etc to get the wiring there.

#5 ·
I would also want to get all the alerts through my smartphone.
Most digital security cameras have this capability. They use a motion detector to detect intruders than take a picture and email it. They can usually also stream video to any network connected device. Uploading images to a cloud server is another common option. The one caveat about using wireless vs wired cameras is that wireless can be jammed by intruders.

#6 ·
If you are looking for simple I find Dlink a little weak on signal on their basic cams but recording to microSD and you can send to FTP and/or download microSD contents. The Trendnet I have has no microSD and FTP's only but it's wireless range is far superior to the Dlinks. General comment I know.
You would have to fine tune of you want alerts and they are outside. Bugs trigger the cams I have and wind moves the trees in the background, etc. etc.
I just review things a few times a day. When away I may only be reviewing once a day. Not real secure, but the Gendarmes thought it was good when a neighbour was driving people on both sides bonkers and told me also that they appreciate having cameras in neighbourhoods.

#7 ·
In today's life cctv security cameras are useful with so many advantages.Employing the use of cctv camera makes the life easier as well as safer.Our homes are heaven for us where we feel safe as well as secure.But in case thieves enter into our homes,than they not only take our peace of mind but also the articles carried along with them which can never be come back to us.However, installing more than two cctv cameras outside our houses not only secure our expensive articles from getting stolen but also hand over the thieves to the police in case robbery was done.
One of the camera's description is discussed below :-
Galaxy 1080P HD-TVI IR License Plate Camera with
Day & Night Vision
,Advance IR LEDs,
OLUX@IR ON,AWB,ESC,SENS UP,DNR,BLC,ACE
,Privacy,Motion,
Digital Zoom
,Defog,Smart IR,
Heater/Blower,
8mm Fixed Lens,
AC24V/DC12V Dual Power.

#8 ·
To add to this...I actually now have 4 cameras. I found Dlink 5010L cameras that can pan and zoom(digitial only) for $69 each at Costco(long gone from stores now) and could not pass that up. They are very good for signal, basic video and IR at night. Better IR range than the 942L I have but no MicroSD card. I FTP anyway and then download locally to view the video and photos. Panning has been helpful a couple of times and for tweaking the view.
Our neighbour after a police visit and knowledge of the cameras has stopped ranting,, singing and also stopped spraying fruit tree chemicals at me!!!!!
The neighbour onthe other side reports "peace" also.

#9 ·
Cams

I have a Dlink 5222 at my cabin. I was reading this thread so thought I'd check it. On my smartphone it took less than 60 secs to get image. WIFI connected. Image is color and app allows me to pan around. I have it positioned so I can see front door and back door. Back door is visible through the kitchen window. No problems with the app on my smartphone but checking on my desktop can be a pain occasionally as Dlink upgrades or downgrades. Switching to Microsoft 10 created problems until Dlink adapted. But absolutely no prob on smartphone. I want to buy another camera that pans for home. I also have the 942 but it does not pan.
My son has the dropcam at his home and is very happy. It does not pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.