Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Android Market in Canada

8K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  timmy1 
#1 ·
Has anyone found out the REAL reason why Canadians are unable to access the full Android Market from Canadian devices? I'm tired of finding a great app in a trial version and then not being able to pay for the full upgrade because I can't access that part of the market. I've even contacted developers directly and have been told that the market is the ONLY way to get the full version of their own creations!

Stories I've heard so far:
1. Google Checkout is the only way to pay and Canadians can't create an account. (BS, because I have one).
2. CRTC regulations prohibit the the full market. (Again, probably BS because iTunes is freely available here)
3. Canadian carriers (read: Rogers) are blocking the full market because they don't get a share of the sales.
4. Google is blocking access because Canadian carriers want a share of the sales.
5. A combination of 3 and 4.

Even Canadian developers are blocked from submitting apps for sale on the Market. Thank heavens for secondary markets like the SlideMe Mobentoo Marketplace.

I am aware that a rooted phone can obtain access to the full market, but at this point, my device, the LG Eve, has only just been rooted and full access to the phone is yet to be obtained.

Suggestions and comments are more than welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have no idea. It's stupid, really. The only option is to root and use MarketEnabler or whatever but you shouldn't have to do that in the first place. I can't understand why Google isn't making introducing the paid market worldwide a priority. If they want Android to take off following the success of the iPhone and the Apple App Store, they better ramp it up before it's too late.

On the flipside, it does take away my urge to spend money on pointless apps. :p

#5 ·
When the Skype app was unavailable from iTunes in Canada it had to do with licensing; i.e. Skype didn't have a licence for Canada for some software the app used. The absence of the licence can be because the developer hasn't secured Canadian patents so restricts its use in Canada. Once that aspect is resolved, the software can be licensed and "sold" here. It may only be a bit of software within a larger app, but it can be enough to block things.

Sometimes the simple answer - cell phone carriers are all evil - is not the right answer.

#7 ·
Cooked ROMS is what has kept me going with my htc diamond
My old HTC TyTN II (ATT Tilt) had a wonderful ROM that I put on. I'd still be using that phone if the microsd slot hadn't gone on me. Needing a new phone, and not having the dinero for the unlocked one that I wanted, I went to Rogers and renewed gambling on the Android platform.

Probably would have been a good idea on a US carrier, but it's not turning out well here....:mad:

#8 ·
If the problem about paid apps lies with Google, presumably if I put my AT&T SIM card into my unlocked LG Eve the next time I'm across the border, I should be able to download those apps?

I didn't realize there was a problem here in Canada when I first unlocked the phone, otherwise I could have tested it then.

#9 ·
If the problem about paid apps lies with Google, presumably if I put my AT&T SIM card into my unlocked LG Eve the next time I'm across the border, I should be able to download those apps?
That might work. Did you get your Eve from an outside source? Mine came from Rogers, so it's locked to them... my ATT sim won't do me any good.

#10 ·
I bought an unlock code off of ebay for $6 to unlock my Roger's Eve that I picked up earlier this month.

Worked no problem, although I had to stop into an AT&T store so they could enter the APN settings on the phone to access the 3G network. Telephone support had no idea what I was talking about, but the person at the store knew as soon as I showed him the screen.

#13 ·
Went across the border to Washington state yesterday and stuck my pre-paid AT&T SIM card into my Rogers Android phone. The Android Market had all the apps that I could not find up here in Canada: free and paid ones.

I downloaded one of the free US-only apps (Mobile Defense) and installed it no problem. It works fine on the phone.

#15 ·
Yes, it does work. The Mobile Defense app lets you keep track of and secure your cell phone in case it gets stolen. It's supposed to only work in the US (must have US phone number to activate), but when I inserted my Rogers SIM card back in the phone, I was notified by email that my SIM card had been replaced and that the phone was in Canada.

#18 ·
Paid apps are working for me and it's been confirmed in several blogs and forum posts. Only problem I have is my market application doesn't show the top paid tab, one user claims it will appear after a factory refresh but that is something I would prefer to avoid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.